PDA

View Full Version : craftsperson's website?

Joe Judge
06-24-2005, 9:53 PM
Has anyone run into a craftsperson's website that they liked? or stood out particularly?
(in layout, presentation, organization, etc.)

I'm really thinking I need to get off my butt, set up a website for crafts and works that my wife and I do ...guitar building and some repairs, wood turning, wood working, stained glass, pottery, and their associated techniques, how-tos, templates, etc.

High-end professional examples I've seen are like David Marks website.
Most of the amateur folks' website vary so much in quality and presentation ... so it'd be nice to see some good examples.

-- joe

Chris Padilla
06-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I dunno if this one is real good but his work is mind-boggling.

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/

Jack Wood
06-25-2005, 7:15 AM
Makes my woodshop seem like one of those playschool construction sets:eek:

Lee DeRaud
06-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Makes my woodshop seem like one of those playschool construction sets:eek:Could be worse...makes my woodshop seem like the cardboard box that playschool construction set came in.

Frank Hagan
06-25-2005, 1:16 PM
Has anyone run into a craftsperson's website that they liked? or stood out particularly? (in layout, presentation, organization, etc.)

I'm really thinking I need to get off my butt, set up a website for crafts and works that my wife and I do ...guitar building and some repairs, wood turning, wood working, stained glass, pottery, and their associated techniques, how-tos, templates, etc.

High-end professional examples I've seen are like David Marks website.
Most of the amateur folks' website vary so much in quality and presentation ... so it'd be nice to see some good examples.

I have several websites I run for family and boat building and the thing I like to see in a site is simplicity. My boat building site is at http://www.messing-about.com, and the design I decided on incorporates much of what I like to see in a site. Clean, simple pages, with readable text, and good navigation menus with the major portions of your website linked at top and bottom so the reader doesn't get lost just surfing your site. In other words, make it easy for your viewers to see what's on your site. If you want to "borrow" my design, PM me with your email address and I can send you instructions on how to create it.

I don't like animated, scrolling banners, flashing ads, complex backgrounds, etc. My personal preference is a light colored background; I find it easier on the eyes. I am now incorporating "accessibility" features such as the ability to enlarge the text on the site using the scroll wheel on the mouse and the CTRL key or the View menu in the browser.

There are scripts (programs) out there to handle your pictures, sorting them into categories (or "albums"), which allows your viewers to find them based on the keywords you enter. My favorite isn't on the messing-about.com website, but on a new site I set up recently, http://www.myPOTTERpage.com/gallery/, and is called "Coppermine". When you find a web host, make sure you can install a gallery script. The main pages on this site also allow the viewer to enlarge the text using their "View * Text Size" menu or the mouse scroll button and CTRL key.