PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc chuck question

Dan Masshardt
04-25-2014, 9:11 PM
I have a nova g3 chuck that I've been happy with.

I have wanted a second chuck as I hate changing jaws. My plan was to get another g3.

However, I acquired a vicmarc vm100. It seems similar in sIze to the supernova.2 and is much heavier than my g3.

I only have a jet 1221 so no huge bowls.

Do you guys like having multiples of the same chuck with the same key etc or have different brands?

Given my lathe size, does this bigger chuck offer me any greater ability or quality over my nova?

Thanks!

Ralph Lindberg
04-25-2014, 9:41 PM
We own nothing but Teknatool chucks to allow the swapping of jaws between them.
If I knew what I know today, I would have gone Vicmarc, due to the how they graduate sizes between jaw sets, it's better and more logical then what Teknatool did with the Nova/SuperNova/SuperNova-2/Titan/G3 chuck family.
If I was starting today, I would seriously consider the new line from Teknatool. That is after they re-start selling them, since they had to withdraw the entire first production run.

Jim Leslie
04-25-2014, 10:02 PM
I have the VM100 and two Oneway Talon chucks. The different keys was never something I thought about though. No huge bowls here either. Love them all. I did have a Nova and sold it with the previous lathe and find the quality of both Vicmarc and Oneway is better. Currently using these on the Oneway 1224.

Reed Gray
04-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Ideal is a chuck for every set of jaws, rather than multiple jaws and swapping them out, but I haven't tried that new one with the quick change jaws. Vicmark are really heavy duty, and I prefer the hex key to the pinion gear type key. The Vicmark would have no problem handling any thing you can mount on your Jet.

robo hippy

John Beaver
04-26-2014, 12:51 AM
The main issue you have is the chucks tighten in different directions. I would be concerned about turning one the wrong way.

ps. pm me if you want to sell the Vicmarc.

Dan Masshardt
04-26-2014, 6:59 AM
The main issue you have is the chucks tighten in different directions. I would be concerned about turning one the wrong way. ps. pm me if you want to sell the Vicmarc.

I already have that problem with one chuck as I use both tenons and recesses. Haha

Michael Stafford
04-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I have both Super Nova II and Vicmarc chucks and use the same key for both when tightening.

The Vicmarc is a fabulous chuck and the company sells inserts to fit virtually every lathe.

In my opinion the Vicmarc is vastly superior to the Nova G3 and only somewhat better than a Super Nova II.

Multiple chucks with a variety of jaws already mounted is the way to go if you can afford it and are turning enough to justify it.

You could have a collection like the one pictured below belonging to Glenn Lucas. Seeing his assortment gives me chuck envy.....Not Chuck Jones envy, turning chuck envy. :p

Roger Chandler
04-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Since you already have the Nova G3, the SuperNOva II that Mike mentions above would give you another chuck and accept all the jaws of the Nova chuck lineup............and it is not too big for your Jet 1221........I use one regularly on my Delta Midi 46-460 as well as my big lathe.

Vicmarc is a super chuck, but the SN2 will do what you need and keep you from having to purchase a whole new line up of jaws.......teknatool [nova] has a vast lineup of jaws which will fit all of their chuck bodies and are interchangeable.

Dan Masshardt
04-26-2014, 1:11 PM
Since you already have the Nova G3, the SuperNOva II that Mike mentions above would give you another chuck and accept all the jaws of the Nova chuck lineup............and it is not too big for your Jet 1221........I use one regularly on my Delta Midi 46-460 as well as my big lathe. Vicmarc is a super chuck, but the SN2 will do what you need and keep you from having to purchase a whole new line up of jaws.......teknatool [nova] has a vast lineup of jaws which will fit all of their chuck bodies and are interchangeable.

Very true. But since I already own the vicmarc and want to be able to keep the jaws on the chuck rather than changing them, it's prob not worth getting a different chuck at this point.

Although I prob could trade pretty easily if I so desired.

Roger Chandler
04-26-2014, 2:41 PM
Very true. But since I already own the vicmarc and want to be able to keep the jaws on the chuck rather than changing them, it's prob not worth getting a different chuck at this point.

Although I prob could trade pretty easily if I so desired.

To me, having the ability to put a range of jaws on a chuck body is more important because it gives me versatility that having two separate brands of chucks give me with a single jaw combination. The same lineup with many jaw options is also a cheaper proposition as well, than two lines and a full assortment of jaws for each. The vicmarc is a great chuck, but will not do anything more than a supernova 2.

whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck! You are probably correct in that the vicmarc could easily be traded for a SN2........if someone had an extra they were not using [a likely scenario].

John Beaver
04-26-2014, 7:02 PM
I already have that problem with one chuck as I use both tenons and recesses. Haha

Now it's going to get really confusing. Is this a recess or tenon and a Vicmarc or Nova? It would take me a few minutes to figure it out.

Dan Masshardt
04-26-2014, 7:06 PM
Now it's going to get really confusing. Is this a recess or tenon and a Vicmarc or Nova? It would take me a few minutes to figure it out.

You are right! I know the right way when it gets tight.

Where it throws me already is when I go to recheck it Oops.

So does the supernova loosen and tighten the same directions as the. G3?

John M. Smith
04-26-2014, 7:26 PM
I have one Vicmarc and two novas. A g3 and a super. Just bought another Vicmarc. When I can get another Vicmarc, I will sell my novas. I really like the vicmarcs better. Just seem to be a little smoother. Only my opinion.

Stan Smith
04-26-2014, 7:40 PM
I have the VM100 and two Oneway Talon chucks. The different keys was never something I thought about though. No huge bowls here either. Love them all. I did have a Nova and sold it with the previous lathe and find the quality of both Vicmarc and Oneway is better. Currently using these on the Oneway 1224.

Similar here. I have a VM100, a Oneway Talon, and a Oneway scroll chuck. The jaws are interchangeable on the Oneways. I haven't even tried to see if they work on the VM100. Today I used my mini plate jaws (the kind with the rubber buttons) on my Talon for the first time with no problemo.

Michael Mills
04-27-2014, 12:14 PM
So does the supernova loosen and tighten the same directions as the. G3?

I have SN's, G3's, and SN2's and they all tighten in the same manner.
With Nova "righty tighty, lefty loosey" apply to a recess. In other brands it may apply to a spigot.
If you use both recesses and spigots righty tighty will be wrong 1/2 the time no matter what brand.

Of course if a person has plenty of money but very poor memory they can have a set of Nova's and a set of another brand, mark the chuck bodies recess or spigot. Use the Nova for recesses and the other brand for spigots.:)