PDA

View Full Version : 3 creekers, 2 shops, 1 goal (Pics, long)

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:18 PM
Phase 1
I was asked by the local American Legion to build a new bar for their "establishment". After iniatially looking at it I was overwhelmed and knew it was more than I wanted to tackle alone. I had met fellow creeker Keith July and asked him if he would consider doing it together. He thought it would be a great idea, so we discussed it and agreed to make a bid on it. We won the bid and decided it would require both of our shops/talents/tools to accomplish this goal.
We decided it best to make the framework in my shop exactly how it would be and build cabinets at Keiths shop. When they were done bring them back to my shop and set them in place temporarily.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/024_24.jpg

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2005, 9:19 PM
Cool Steve! Sounds like you guys have a good plan. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck with it!!

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:19 PM
Guess I don't know how to do multiple pictures, so I'll add them singley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/029_29.jpg

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:21 PM
The cabinets setting in place and the formica counter top also in place.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/049_49.jpg

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:23 PM
Got ahead of myself...here is Keith screwing the cabinets together.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/019_19.jpg

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:24 PM
I'm doing a bit of sanding.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/023_23.jpg

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:25 PM
More sanding....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/056_56.jpg

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:27 PM
Keith shaping the doors...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/044_44.jpg

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2005, 9:27 PM
You said three Creekers...who's the third? :D Pics look good!!

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:29 PM
and finally the beer tap and liquor racks. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/043_43.jpg

Steve Ash
06-24-2005, 9:34 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't group all the pictures together..perhaps a moderator can. We will be making a solid maple top for the bar top, all the counters behind the bar are made with maple laminate edge banded with cherry.
The third creeker is adding something really special to the bar top and that will be shown in phase 2 (a little suspense to keep you looking)
Keith please feel free to add anything I missed.
One thing I would like to say, is that it is a pleasure working with Keith and besides woodworking we find that we have a lot in common....just goes to show how important the creek is to me, together we are having fun, making money and hopefully showing off our talents to the community....since doing this bar we have another to build for sure and one more client very interested.

Jim Becker
06-24-2005, 9:40 PM
Lookin' good, Steve! That's a big project...and worthy of more than two hands, for sure.

An alterntive avitar attached...

Richard Wolf
06-24-2005, 9:59 PM
Great story, keep us posted!

Richard

Jim Young
06-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Looks like a good project. I bet you are taking free beer for a year as payment. :lol:

Keith July
06-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Steve deserves all the credit for the pictures and for starting this post. Most of the time I forget that I own a camera. This is not a job...It's a day filled with good company :) and telling fish stories...and more stories... Oh yeah and building cabinets and furniture and telling more stories.

Jim Becker
06-24-2005, 10:45 PM
And one for you, too, Keith...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2005, 12:36 AM
You said three Creekers...who's the third? :D Pics look good!!
and as Kelly asked......"the winner is?" :confused: ......who is the 3rd Creeker :confused: ....or is this a spillover from that "split personality" thread going on? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Frank Pellow
06-25-2005, 6:48 AM
Steve and Keith, this looks like the kind of project I would enjoy. I look forward to hearing about and seeing photos of the next phase.

Steve Ash
06-25-2005, 8:33 AM
and as Kelly asked......"the winner is?" :confused: ......who is the 3rd Creeker :confused: ....or is this a spillover from that "split personality" thread going on? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Okay, the third creeker is Thomas Hempleman...he is making a "6" cherry inlay of the American Legion symbol so that we can inlay it into the maple bartop. We don't have it here yet, so I didn't have a picture to show. You know how the picture police can be:D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2005, 8:42 AM
Thanks Steve! The curiosity was killing me! Nice work and thanks for posting in progress photos.

Keith July
06-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Jim Becker,
Thanks for the picture.

Keith

Jeff Sudmeier
06-26-2005, 9:06 PM
Wow, that American Legion inlay will surely be stunning! I can't wait to see a pic of it!

larry merlau
06-27-2005, 7:18 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Ash]and finally the beer tap and liquor racks.

well its a wonder they got as much done as they have :D they both have good sense of humor and a good gift of gab :D oh yeah they're goood wood workers too!! what a combination and yup i know them both and you know i can pick some good ones.. nice work guys maybe i can see it up close and personal sometime...

John Pollman
07-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Wow ! Looks great guys. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Don Selke
07-03-2005, 7:20 PM
Looks like a great bunch of guys having a great time. I would be willing to bet that there is a beer cooler somewhere in the shop for the end of the work day.
Brings back memories of the great times I had when I was on the Fire Department. This is a job you guys will remember for a long time to come. Wish I was there myself.

Keith July
07-04-2005, 8:32 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Ash]and finally the beer tap and liquor racks.

maybe i can see it up close and personal sometime...
Larry,
We hope you can make it over this way soon and get a close look at our work.
Yesterday (Sunday) Steve and I installed the base frame and all but one of the cabinets. The pictures I have are too dark because most of the lights have been turned off due to the ceiling being removed. We will share the pictures when we can.
Keith

Keith July
07-24-2005, 4:05 PM
The past few weeks have busy. Steve Ash and I put the final touchs on the bar on Friday July 22, 2005. I think it was after 9:00pm when we finally had a chance to sit down (at the bar) and called it done.:) On Sunday July 24, 2005 the American Legion is hosting a fund raiser for Toy for Tots. They needed Saturday to set up for the event so we had to be done on Friday.

Keith July
07-24-2005, 4:31 PM
Here is a close up of the American Legion logo that was done by Creeker Tom Hempleman. He did a beautiful job on the raised panel engraving and the logo that was set into the bar top. The laser engraving added a special touch to this job. Thank you,Tom it was a pleasure doing business with you.
A few details about this job and what went into it.
The bar top is Hard Maple with Cherry trim on the front and finished with polyurathane/varnish. The front of the bar is Maple plastic laminate with Cherry divider strips. The cup tray or "trough" is made of 1/2" plwood and covered with Cherry plastic laminate.
Behind the bar the cabinets are built of 1/2" Birch plywood finished with polyurathane/varnish. They have adjustable shelves. The raised panel doors are Hard Maple finished the same. The counter tops behind the bar are Maple and Cherry plastic laminate

Keith

Keith July
07-24-2005, 4:34 PM
Here is a close up of the logo inlaid into the bar top.

Keith

Keith July
07-24-2005, 4:44 PM
Steve with a smile that comes with a job WELL Done.
Keith

Steve has more pictures. I am sure he will share them with you when he has a chance.

Jim Young
07-24-2005, 8:40 PM
You guys cranked that out pretty quick. If only my projects went that fast, summer is even worse.

Thomas Hempleman
07-25-2005, 2:29 AM
Keith & Steve,

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to contribute to your project. It looks great and I'm proud to have had a small part. I hope you don't mind; I posted a link to this thread over on the laser forum. Who says Buckeyes can't get along with people from "that state up north"?

Tom

Keith July
07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
You guys cranked that out pretty quick. .
Jim,
I haven't had my boat out since May.:o I think that will change though.:cool:

Keith

Tyler Howell
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Nice Team effort guys.

Well done.:cool:

Steve Ash
07-26-2005, 9:19 AM
I went down to the American Legion on Sunday for their toys for tots fundraiser and volunteer some time....I overheard many positive compliments about their new bar, makes it all worthwhile knowing that the members of the Legion post love their new bar and appreciate the time and effort that went into it.
Thanks everyone for looking at our project, it was a blast working with Keith and also getting another creeker involved with the logo, ...which seems to catch everyones attention and is the focal point (Thanks Tom). :cool: