PDA

View Full Version : Photo - Laser cut 3/4" thick Birch plywood

Nick Mauer
04-25-2014, 5:33 PM
I've seen quite a few people saying it's not possible, or results in a really nasty cut when trying to cut 3/4" plywood. Our machine is a little beefier than most, but it's possible! The edge isn't perfect, but it's not terrible by any means either. Around here, we like the contrast between a nicely finished flat surface and the rougher burnt edge. Our customers seem to dig it as well.

The wood is 3/4" thick B2 Birch gold ply (no MDF in the core construction).

John Bion
04-25-2014, 7:06 PM
Nick,
you may be referring to a comment I made in a previous post. I, for one, did not say that it would not be possible, although I did say that the edge was unlikely to be of a good quality on a general C02 laser. The previous post appeared to be from a poster who was on a tighter budget and I pointed out that your (fantastic) machine was probably out of most peoples budget bracket and therefore it was unrealistic for him to think that a cheaper laser would achieve the results you speak of. If he could afford a 400w Trotec in his business plan then well and good, otherwise he would be mislead as to general smaller laser's capabilities. Add into the mix that a Trotec 80w cuts MUCH cleaner than my 100w Chinese in 12mm BB grade Baltic Birch.

Standard BB grade Baltic Birch of the 3/4" bracket would have 13 plys as opposed to the 5 (?) I count in the board you show. This would be a great deal more cutting for a laser. I will try attach a picture of a cnc router cut 3/4 board of BB Grade.

Kind Regards, John

Nick Mauer
04-25-2014, 7:24 PM
John- my post wasn't directed at you particularly, but I do remember your previous post.

Yes this gold ply stuff is 5 layers, or 7 if you count the thin face veneers. It does cut a bit cleaner than 11 or 13 ply, but we have successfully cut that configuration too.

To contrast this photo, we are also cutting some 3/4" thick marine ply, also in 5 or 7 ply configuration. The edge quality is very different. Not nearly as clean, very rough and ragged. That glue makes quite the difference!

I guess the reason for my post is- I don't see many photographic examples of laser or CNC cut materials. We work with a pretty wide variety of materials, and I'd like to start posting photos from time to time, just to give other digital fabricators a reference to materials, edge quality, and power required to perform the task. If anyone else wants to join in and add their own photos and discoveries, please feel free to do so!

Art Mann
04-25-2014, 8:24 PM
I don't know what sort of stuff you are making but those blackened edges would not be acceptable with any project I can remember doing. There are just too many other easy ways to cut thick plywood that don't leave a burned edge.

Bert Kemp
04-25-2014, 9:32 PM
Most of the people I talk to like the contrast of the burnt edges, its the mark of a laser cut edge. My edges or usually a nice brown color not black. On occasion I get very dark edges but a little scotchbrite work over fixes that pretty fast.288046

Dan Hintz
04-26-2014, 9:38 AM
Yeah, most here have 10-20% of your power. I would suggest doing what you're doing with that low level of power.

Still jealous ;)

John Bion
04-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah, ... Still jealous ;)

:D I turn a shade of green at “Helga” the 400w Trotec too! :)
Kind Regards, John

Bert Kemp
04-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah, most here have 10-20% of your power. I would suggest doing what you're doing with that low level of power.

Still jealous ;)

400 watts Yowser is anyone not jealous ?:eek:

Nick Mauer
04-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't know what sort of stuff you are making but those blackened edges would not be acceptable with any project I can remember doing. There are just too many other easy ways to cut thick plywood that don't leave a burned edge.

When people are looking for more traditional or classic woodworking options, clean edges and perfect dovetail joinery, they don't come to us. We have a particular aesthetic, a lot of people seem to dig it.

For instance, we prototyped 2 tables of the same design for a local restaurant. One cut on the table saw, the other cut with the laser. The restaurant owner decided he liked the contrasting edge, so he's having us laser cut all of the parts for his tables. It's just a preference, not a hard and fast "this is better than that" rule.

I should also add that that photo is of the plywood straight out of the laser. The next step is the scotchbrite or abrasive nylon wheel treatment for the edges, followed by a few rounds of sanding the surfaces to eliminate the smoke staining or burning that May have gotten onto the surface. I'll post another photo of a finished piece once we start assembling.

Nick Mauer
04-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Most of the people I talk to like the contrast of the burnt edges, its the mark of a laser cut edge. My edges or usually a nice brown color not black. On occasion I get very dark edges but a little scotchbrite work over fixes that pretty fast.288046

I like the dice! Super cool!

When we cut thinner materials, it's more brown, not black on the edge. Marine plywood is the exception. We regularly cut 4mm thick marine ply, and the edge always is pitch black even after cleaning. I think it's the marine grade glues making black residue.

Nick Mauer
04-26-2014, 11:09 AM
:D I turn a shade of green at “Helga” the 400w Trotec too! :)
Kind Regards, John

If you guys are ever in Omaha, I'd be glad to introduce you!