PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go to MJD?

David Weaver
04-25-2014, 2:13 PM
Did anyone go to the MJD auction this time around? I figure it's late enough that nobody can get bids in so it's safe to say something about it (as in, i'm not promoting anything there).

I put a bid in on a couple of long planes (woody jointers) selling today, that I don't really need, and didn't see much else I was interested in there.

Dave Anderson NH
04-25-2014, 3:15 PM
I didn't bother though it's only a 45 minute drive from my house. WARNING WARNING - SACRILEGE ALERT I pretty much have enough hand tools. I will have to say though that the weather was spectacularly good for those who decided to hit the tailgate sale in the parking lot.

David Weaver
04-25-2014, 3:21 PM
Dave, I do, too. When I put in bids with their auctions now, it's got to be something nicer than what I have where I'd sell off something and replace it, but as time goes on i'm less and less motivated to even do that.

The prices on the auctions have been mostly on the rise on things that I like, though I've noticed some grumbling from folks who like rare things that the value on some rare things have dropped while others have gone up. In the balance of what I've gotten most from them (saws), there have been a couple of times that I've won, and once the saws arrived and I got a better look at them, I wished I hadn't won. They've been balanced out by unexpectedly good lots, though.

I know dealers do and did like the MJD auctions and the old FTJ newsletter tool sales, but in both cases, to me at least, the deals aren't what they were 5 or 6 years ago....though FTJ is a straight sale and not an auction, and I recognize that the owners have changed. There's very little low hanging fruit can be found online now, too many people who like fruit, I guess.

David Weaver
04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I won a pair of woody jointers. I have a great single iron jointer, as well as can be made, but no good double iron jointer of true jointer length and have had a real time trying to find one that's clean with low wear. I hope the other side and bottom of one of these meets that description.

https://www.mjdtools.com/auction/graphics/s14/285710_lg.jpg

I guess nobody else was bidding from here (not on these planes, but anything in particular)!

Unfortunately, I bid like I really wanted the jointers a couple of months ago, and now I'd just "like to have them", but I won them at near my max bid - which was in "really want" territory, more than "would like to have".

It seems like the market for user tools is so strong at this point that it's hard to get anything without paying a mint. I have a couple of, shall we say at this point "legacy bids" on future auctions that are for things I really don't need, either. They aren't that high, but I hope to not win at max bids!

The rest of you folks can have all of the stuff from now on, i'm getting buyer's fatigue.

Tony Zaffuto
04-28-2014, 1:38 PM
I didn't bid on anything (usually do). I'm also in the camp of "not needing" and fast entering "not much to upgrade". Stones I like to see in person, though I would bid on a cast iron Norton Tri-hone enclosure (or some similar patent case). I looked over plumb bobs in the auction listing, but prices have skyrocketed on those items (there are plumb bobs I've paid a ten or fifteen bucks for, now selling for ten, twenty times what I paid).

Maybe for the near term, I'll replenish and over-replenish my wood supply! Maybe try a few woods I haven't monkeyed with!