PDA

View Full Version : How is this built? plywood or all solid wood?

Adrian Anguiano
04-25-2014, 1:10 PM
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hudson-dresser/

Looking at replicating this. I've never done a dresser or drawers. So don't know common construction details.

Do you think the sides are plywood or all solid wood? How bout the drawers, the recessed part of the middle of the drawers? Plywood or solid wood?

Etc.

They say its mahogany but not sure if that literally means everything.

Doug Garson
04-25-2014, 1:25 PM
Read the add more closely, it says "frame of solid mahogany ", I'm sure the remainder is veneered plywood.

johnny means
04-25-2014, 1:31 PM
Lol solid wood, that's a good one.
Seriously, if you read the description, it says that the frame is solid mahogany. It goes on to say nothing about the rest of the materials. IME, this level of quality usually is made from a mixture of solid wood and MDF. The panels are likely veneered MDF.

"Finished by hand using an exclusive multistep process to achieve a rich mahogany stain, then sealed with a protective lacquer."
This means faux finished to look like solid mahogany.

That being said, the easiest way to replicate the raised panel look you see will be solid wood.

Adrian Anguiano
04-25-2014, 1:40 PM
That being said, the easiest way to replicate the raised panel look you see will be solid wood.

Ya think? I was thinking of making a wood frame then rabbit the frame by 1/4 or 1/2" and using plywood. Would u make a thin wood section instead or try to do it as one solid piece and use a router and a template or something?

Mike McCann
04-25-2014, 1:45 PM
wood magazine has plans for a chest like that made out of cherry

Jeff Duncan
04-25-2014, 2:21 PM
My thought having seen a few pieces of production furniture over the years is solid wood frame, (african mahogany most likely), with mdf panels. The top is also very likely mdf with a wood edging applied. Then a nice dark stain and glaze to hide many of the defects as the wood is not generally 1st quality. Who knows about the drawers….companies are cutting corners everywhere they can. Wouldn't be surprised if they were made of whatever scraps were left over from another operation!

As far as making one there are many ways to skin a cat. I'd suggest reading up on basic woodworking techniques a bit and the "how" will come to you.

good luck,
JeffD

Prashun Patel
04-25-2014, 2:32 PM
Regardless of whether they used MDF, I would not. It'll be harder to 'stain' it to look like wood. Also, it'll resist dings poorly. (edit: I see people are recommending VENEERED mdf, not straight mdf. My comment pertained to unveneered mdf).

Personally, on this one, I'd do plywood panels on the ends and back and drawer fronts, and solid wood everywhere else, including the top shelf and drawer sides.

If this were to be finished without color, there's a case to be made for solid wood construction. However, when stained dark like that, it's easier to make everything look like it's the same wood. To that end, when you're ready to finish, I there was a guy who did a great job matching a similar finish on the Finisher's forum. I think his first name was Mike. You can search "Pottery Barn finish" and it'll probably come up.

Yonak Hawkins
04-25-2014, 2:50 PM
In any case, I believe you could do a better stain job than the splotchy commercial one in the photo.

Peter Quinn
04-25-2014, 2:57 PM
Another vote for wood frame, veneered MDF every where else. The veneered MDF is not a bad product in lue of solid stock, maybe performs better than wide thin solid panels. Not going to find it at a Borg, most cabinet suppliers that handle sheet stock should be able to order you what you need. To me a solid top is actually easier to make than an edge banded sheet stock top, more durable too, but you either see end grain or do some fairly complicated molding attachment with sliding dovetails, so that parts against it. End of the day how you make your is up to you.

I like the "hand planned" shtick in the add. Only reason it would be hand planed is if it's made in a country where that's cheaper than using a machine. It's meant to imply some bespoke quality to a very production oriented piece, albeit likely third world production. There are some fantastic wood workers in countries where electric power is not a given, I'd rather see their pictures than read pottery barns pr bull. Hand glazed triple dip cherry topped secondary wood....

Do they have fair trade wood working associations like the coffee?

Adrian Anguiano
04-25-2014, 3:01 PM
Yeah i guess it probably is MDF.

Id like to hear various ways on making the drawer faces.... I had the rabbit idea in my head, but there is probably a better way.

Tony Joyce
04-25-2014, 3:40 PM
Actually they have a pretty good short video about the construction of this bedroom suite. I would have to say the construction is better than average factory furnishings.

http://youtu.be/t_81YFSnAXw

Tony