PDA

View Full Version : Metal Punch, Parker Kalon Corp.

Moses Yoder
04-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I bought this last fall at an auction for $5. I have a day of vacation today and was going to rake the yard but it rained most of the night, the leaves are soaked and stuck to the ground. I Have some errands this afternoon but had some time. So I went out in the shop to start clearing off my bench to get to work and found this metal punch I bought last year. The patent is dated Jan 21.19 but I was unable to find anything with that date. I believe I found the original patent here (patent) (https://www.google.com/patents/US1065752?dq=metal+punch&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1ntaU472A42SyATo84LABQ&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAQ). I think it may have been renewed, causing the different date. It was made by the Parker Kalon Corp which today is a division of Black & Decker producing or importing fasteners. They were apparently one of the first to produce self tapping screws based on lawsuit details I found concerning copyrighting the words "self tapping". I could not figure out how the tool worked at first but my wife's uncle showed me where he thought a joint should swivel but was froze up. I worked this loosed this morning and now it works fine. It is in excellent shape, a little rust but really not bad. Very interesting stuff. This kind of ingenious invention is what made the US what it is.

Raymond Fries
04-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Nice tool Moses! Obviously made to last a really long time.

What are you going to punch with it?

Enjoy the punch and...

...Enjoy Life

Jerome Stanek
04-25-2014, 1:54 PM
I looks like my Whitney punch

Art Mann
04-25-2014, 1:58 PM
Yep, that's what it looks like to me too.

Moses Yoder
04-25-2014, 5:30 PM
Well I did some reading on Whitney punches, I am not familiar with metal working. Whitney is the guy who filed the original patent; I would guess that the Parker-Kalon corp either bought the patent eventually or changed the design enough to make their punch in competition.