PDA

View Full Version : Another noob question

John Emwonk
04-25-2014, 11:50 AM
How do I get this square and create minimal waste?

Tools on hand include a 14 inch laguna band saw, a table saw absent a good fence (for now; the fence I have requires very careful measuring and manual alignment on both ends) and a router table and a 2 1/2 inch straight bit for the router. I also have hand planes that I don't know how to sharpen, set up, or use.

I hope to squeeze some knife handle blanks out of the edge that will result from cutting this. So I will need to take that into account before cutting. Otherwise I don't yet know what dimensions I want for the project wood. My first project is getting this square on all 6 sides.

My first serious step into woodworking.

thank you,

Jim Matthews
04-25-2014, 6:25 PM
I don't mill things until I know the dimension of the part I am making.

I don't recognize the species of wood, but it appears to have grain that
changes direction and has inclusions.

As you take material off one edge, the internal tensions will try to equalize and the piece will again change shape.

In brief, don't try to make the whole thing S6S.
Cut it down to size, first.

Terry Beadle
04-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Start with watching some good instructional videos that are free on youtube.

Paul Sellers has a channel that has a video on squaring and preping stock. He also has a good one on sharpening plane blades and how to use them.
Lie Nielsen ( plane makers etc.) have a channel that also cover sharpening both chisels and plane blades.

You can use your table saw to true the edge sides of your stock. If you are wanting scales for a 5 inch handle, cut a piece about 5 1/2 to 6 inches long. Do it with a practice
piece of hard pine, poplar, or similar material. Even red oak is very hard and cheap.

Then practice on a piece of soft pine 2 X 4 with your saw and plane. Do it until you can make a reasonably square piece of stock.

Do the baby steps I've out lined before you run a expensive piece of wood through the same process and you will get great results.
It does take practice but what's neat is that it will be fun and very rewarding once you've gotten all the way through to a great hunting knife or what ever.
Hold it in your hand and remember the skills you will have learned and skin that deer ! Eat well and enjoy the shavings !

Ruperto Mendiones
04-26-2014, 2:39 PM
Critical for safety: The stock must be flat and true where it contacts the table saw table and fence. The fence must be parallel to the blade. Otherwise stock may pinch against the back of the blade and cause kickback.
Using the bandsaw and hand planes to create flat and straight reference surfaces would be the safest way to proceed.

2+ on using pine or poplar to practice with first.