PDA

View Full Version : Credit card got hacked.

Ole Anderson
04-25-2014, 9:37 AM
I live in Michigan and have been in Florida for 2 months. Thursday evening I got a call and an email from our credit card company (FifthThird/MasterCard) saying they have noted suspicious activity and have frozen our card. Looking over our online statement this morning, in one day someone in Illinois used our credit card info at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, OfficeMax and Toys R Us to the tune of 38 transactions and $5,695. Thank goodness for the computers in the fraud division catching this so quickly. 5/3 is overnighting new cards to us today so we can keep supporting the local tourist economy. Makes me wonder how someone got our info and who ends up paying the bill? And will there be any repercussions to us. We'll see how it plays out.

Eric DeSilva
04-25-2014, 9:45 AM
I've had fraud calls on my AMEX three times--never had any liability for the fraud charges. First time--years ago--they picked up the fraud because the card was used to charge a telephone call that was only one minute, which I gather was a way that illicit users validated that they had working CC numbers. The second time was spending pattern related--they called to ask me if I had ordered $20,000 worth of computer equipment for delivery to the Netherlands. The third time was also spending pattern related--this time $3000 worth of airplane tickets in South America. I'm surprised that your card company didn't flag the transactions on the spot given where you were and where you normally spend. Or maybe AMEX just has better fraud detection. These experiences have made me a loyal AMEX customer.

Ruhi Arslan
04-25-2014, 9:54 AM
... 38 transactions and $5,695. Thank goodness for the computers in the fraud division catching this so quickly.
You live in MI, you are currently using your card in FL for the last two months, there are 38 transactions in IL... I would not consider it catching it so quickly. Not even barely. Hope your bank is not going to try make you liable for those unauthorized charges. Maybe it is time to read your card agreement before it is too late. You have your card in your possession and you have not received a statement with those charges, right? How would you know if it is compromised... As far as I can see, your bank's fraud division was sleeping on the wheel.

The card I use for business alerts me when I move from one airport to the next, when paying for the cab to the hotel.

Dave Richards
04-25-2014, 9:58 AM
A couple of years ago my credit card got shut down after a single online transaction for one cent. The bank told me that trying to make a purchase for a penny is a common way for thieves to find out if they have valid CC info. Then they charge big. I appreciated the bank shutting it down although I didn't discover the card was cancelled until I was trying to get gas.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
My bank is pretty good about detecting fraudulent charges - sometimes my own odd spending habits set off the triggers, and I always get a call simply asking me to confirm the charges.

But this is why I don't use debit cards - in general you don't end up on the hook for fraud charges, (although I believe the liability is somewhat higher with a debit card) but until things get sorted out, living without a credit card is easier than living without your own money until charges get straightened out.

Greg R Bradley
04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
You live in MI, you are currently using your card in FL for the last two months, there are 38 transactions in IL... I would not consider it catching it so quickly. Not even barely. Hope your bank is not going to try make you liable for those unauthorized charges. Maybe it is time to read your card agreement before it is too late. You have your card in your possession and you have not received a statement with those charges, right? How would you know if it is compromised... As far as I can see, your bank's fraud division was sleeping on the wheel.

The card I use for business alerts me when I move from one airport to the next, when paying for the cab to the hotel.
Exactly what I was thinking. I would have received a text messages in less than a minute from Amex if that had happened to me - on the first charge.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2014, 12:40 PM
We have had a credit card with one bank for nearly 30 years. They are too good about preventing "unauthorized" charges. We went on a 34 day trip out of the country recently. The trip was planned and arranged by a travel agency. We paid a significant deposit/partial payment by check last July and then tried to pay the remaining costs by CC in December. 4 times the bank refused the charges even after we called them after the first refusal. We told them the amount and what company was trying to process the charge. It seems as though the banks computer software was automatically refusing the charges. Finally, after we talked to someone in the banks security department, the charges went through.

While talking to the same security person, we had them note that we would be traveling for 34 days in 3 countries outside the US and that charges in those countries would occur during a specific 34 day period.

Steve Peterson
04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
The maximum liability for any credit card fraud is limited to somewhere around $250, as long as it is reported within either 60 or 90 days. Usually the credit card company waives the fees.

A few cards get hit with big losses for the banks, but I don't feel sorry for them. There is so much profit in the normal transactions that they are still rolling in profit. They make around 3% profit even if you pay it off every month. They make up to 20-30% profit per year if you keep a balance.

Steve

Matt Meiser
04-25-2014, 1:21 PM
That sounds about like an incident we had abou 12 years ago. We had just moved and the credit union failed to update our info on just that one card so they had trouble reaching us.

Amex does seem to be more on top of things than others. My card has gotten blocked 4 times in the last couple years, once actual fraud, the rest unusual spending by me.

Val Kosmider
04-25-2014, 1:41 PM
Ole,

Your CC company was asleep at the switch, for sure.

You are likely liable for none of it. Get new cards. Beyond that there shouldn't be any repercussions.

Agree on the prompt discovery and notification by Amex. They are usually all over it within minutes, at max an hour. If the charge is significant, they will call you before they put it through--just being sure before we both have a problem.

Jim Matthews
04-25-2014, 4:13 PM
We went on a 34 day trip out of the country recently. The trip was planned and arranged by a travel agency.
While talking to the same security person, we had them note that we would be traveling for 34 days in 3 countries outside the US and that charges in those countries would occur during a specific 34 day period.

Somebody at your bank must be carrying a grudge against Hobbits, or something.

Brian Elfert
04-25-2014, 4:30 PM
My main credit card always blocks my first or second purchase when I travel from Minneapolis to Reno every year. This happens even though I call them every year and let them know I will be traveling! I guess they don't believe that someone could travel 900 miles from home in 18 hours or so with no gas stops in between. My motorhome can go 900 miles on a tank and we have multiple drives.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2014, 4:46 PM
Somebody at your bank must be carrying a grudge against Hobbits, or something.

I'm sure it was a form of discrimination!

Ole Anderson
04-25-2014, 5:51 PM
All of the transactions were within a few hours, not two months. "in one day someone in Illinois used our credit card". Although thinking about it I agree that they should have seen the pattern in minutes, not hours. I just checked online my card activity, all of the fraudulent charges have been removed and the account closed. When we travel we call the CC company and let them know where we will be.

Matt Meiser
04-25-2014, 8:36 PM
That's a long time. The last two times it was on the second transaction in 45 minutes, this time the third in 45. Merchant had to call, my wife got a call, and I got an email within 60s of the swipe at the last place.

Rick Potter
04-25-2014, 8:47 PM
Our credit card was confiscated in the ticket line at Windsor Castle. Luckily, her card number was different from mine, so we managed to continue the trip. When we got back, it turned out a reported stolen CC was entered into the system, with one digit off....making it ours.

Glad it worked out, I sure didn't want to miss our appointment with the Queen.

Kev Williams
04-26-2014, 12:09 PM
My card was hacked 3 weeks ago. There were about 7 charges totaling less than $400. I spoke to a bank rep when it happened, they flagged the first charge they thought was bogus, but didn't lock the card until the the 7th charge, because they wanted to be sure; they didn't want to create an inconvenience for us by cancelling our card until they were dead certain it wasn't us charging on it. The dead giveaway was a $90 charge to Grub Hub in PA. They knew we weren't in PA ordering up food delivery!

Michael Weber
04-26-2014, 1:00 PM
Our credit card was confiscated in the ticket line at Windsor Castle. Luckily, her card number was different from mine, so we managed to continue the trip. When we got back, it turned out a reported stolen CC was entered into the system, with one digit off....making it ours.

Glad it worked out, I sure didn't want to miss our appointment with the Queen.
Hope you found the Queen well. :rolleyes:

Andrew Joiner
04-26-2014, 1:29 PM
The maximum liability for any credit card fraud is limited to somewhere around $250, as long as it is reported within either 60 or 90 days. Usually the credit card company waives the fees.

Steve

It's probably debit cards your thinking of Steve. With credit cards, your maximum liability for fraudulent charges is $50. If you report the loss or theft of your card before it's used, you're not liable for anything. In most cases, even the $50 is waived (Visa, for instance, has a zero liability fraud protection policy).

Debit cards: The rules vary based on the situation. If you've lost your card or it's been stolen, you must report the loss within two business days to limit your liability to $50. If you take more than two days to report it, you can be liable for up to $500.

Chuck Wintle
04-26-2014, 2:51 PM
I live in Michigan and have been in Florida for 2 months. Thursday evening I got a call and an email from our credit card company (FifthThird/MasterCard) saying they have noted suspicious activity and have frozen our card. Looking over our online statement this morning, in one day someone in Illinois used our credit card info at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, OfficeMax and Toys R Us to the tune of 38 transactions and $5,695. Thank goodness for the computers in the fraud division catching this so quickly. 5/3 is overnighting new cards to us today so we can keep supporting the local tourist economy. Makes me wonder how someone got our info and who ends up paying the bill? And will there be any repercussions to us. We'll see how it plays out.
Any idea where or when your card got hacked?

Eric DeSilva
04-26-2014, 3:16 PM
The dead giveaway was a $90 charge to Grub Hub in PA. They knew we weren't in PA ordering up food delivery!

This is the kind of thing that puzzles me. In an instance where there is a *delivery*, there ought to be an address to chase the ordered goods too--can't the CC company alert the police and investigate that? At the same time, seems kind of like stupid crooks too...

Ole Anderson
04-27-2014, 9:55 AM
Any idea where or when your card got hacked?

No idea. I would think that it must have been somewhere they physically had the card where they could swipe it through a device to copy the mag strip and then construct a new card. And then the fake card probably purchased over the internet given the location? If the fraud was for internet purchases, there are a whole other list of scenarios. As the purchases were at a bricks and mortar store, no ccw needed and almost never a requirement to show id, nor get an address. Only chance they take is when it is finally reported stolen and the clerk keeps it and tips off store security before they leave which probably never happens.

Brian Elfert
04-27-2014, 10:20 AM
This is the kind of thing that puzzles me. In an instance where there is a *delivery*, there ought to be an address to chase the ordered goods too--can't the CC company alert the police and investigate that? At the same time, seems kind of like stupid crooks too...

Smart crooks have stuff delivered to vacant houses. UPS and Fedex often just leaves deliveries not requiring signatures at the door. The crooks will come by later that day and pick up the delivery.

Paul McGaha
04-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Our credit card was hacked about a month ago. It was a Chase Bank card. They emailed us on the 1st charge that looked fraudulent to them. They were right. The hacker only got 2 charges done. Both charges were to a video store in California, I think about $100 in fraudulent charges all together.

Chase Bank was really good about it. They removed the fraudulent charges from our account and had replacement cards to us next day.

Other than groceries most every purchase we make is with a credit card.

PHM

Ruhi Arslan
04-27-2014, 9:41 PM
I just checked online my card activity, all of the fraudulent charges have been removed and the account closed.
Glad it's resolved with just only a minor inconvenience.

Bill Cunningham
04-27-2014, 11:36 PM
I seemed to have bought tickets to a soccer game in Spain, bought some spy camera stuff from a company in Texas' and a bunch of small stuff. Everything was bought online on my MasterCard. I just had to file a police report, fax it to them and everything not mine was deleted.

Chuck Wintle
04-28-2014, 6:23 AM
No idea. I would think that it must have been somewhere they physically had the card where they could swipe it through a device to copy the mag strip and then construct a new card. And then the fake card probably purchased over the internet given the location? If the fraud was for internet purchases, there are a whole other list of scenarios. As the purchases were at a bricks and mortar store, no ccw needed and almost never a requirement to show id, nor get an address. Only chance they take is when it is finally reported stolen and the clerk keeps it and tips off store security before they leave which probably never happens.

my credit card was cloned at the corner gas station. It was in the morning and I was not totally watching them when they handled the card....the must have had the reader just below the counter and did the copy very fast, i did not even see them do it. I had to sign an affidavit from my card company stating that it was not me who made some purchases totaling about $330 from itunes.

Eric DeSilva
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Smart crooks have stuff delivered to vacant houses. UPS and Fedex often just leaves deliveries not requiring signatures at the door. The crooks will come by later that day and pick up the delivery.

But grubhub is food... What delivery guy would leave without his tip?

Kev Williams
04-28-2014, 5:19 PM
Glad it's resolved with just only a minor inconvenience.

How minor the inconvenience is in direct proportion to how many automatic payments and/or associated 'card on file' the cancelled card was involved with... I'm right in the thick of THAT nightmare at the moment... power company, phone company, internet provider, several shippers, online shopping centers, etc etc... what a pain!