PDA

View Full Version : Recess chuck safety question

Lawrence Tarnoff
04-24-2014, 8:05 PM
I've turned the outside of a 16x8 bowl and am getting ready to hog out the inside. I have a Woodriver chuck with a closed outside diameter of the jaws of 2 inches. Can I use this in recess mode and reasonably expect the blank to stay on the lathe? I've ordered a larger set of jaws but I'd like to get this turned this weekend.

Larry

Thom Sturgill
04-24-2014, 8:37 PM
2inch jaws (50mm) are rated by nova for 12x4 expansion or 6x4 compression. You would need powerjaws to come close. I'm sure wood river is In the same ballpark.

Bob Bergstrom
04-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Better wear steel toed boots so when you break that small tenon it won't break you toes. 8" deep will put a lot of torque on that tenon. It will never survive.

Dennis Ford
04-24-2014, 11:35 PM
A highly skilled turner with lots of patience could possibly do it with that chuck and jaws but would have better options. A face-plate with or without a glue block would be my choice.

Reed Gray
04-24-2014, 11:48 PM
My big Vicmark has closed diameter of about 2 5/8 inches. It is fine for heavy turning at 14 inch diameter, at 16 it is pretty iffy. It also has dove tailed jaws, which give a better grip. 2 inches would be risky unless you are not coring, and leave the tail stock engaged for turning out the inside. A 2 inch recess will supply ample drive for spinning the bowl, but that deep, and that wide it is just too minimal. You also will not improve grip strength by cutting a 3 inch wide recess and expanding your 2 inch jaws into that, because you will have less steel surface actually in contact with the wood.

robo hippy

robert baccus
04-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Not enough data here. What species are we turning--sidegrain?- green or very dry- any doty or knots. These can sway your decision by a magnitude easily. If everything is in your favor I wouldn't hesitate to turn it. I haven't put on my larger jaws in many years.

Lawrence Tarnoff
04-25-2014, 1:01 AM
Not enough data here. What species are we turning--sidegrain?- green or very dry- any doty or knots. These can sway your decision by a magnitude easily. If everything is in your favor I wouldn't hesitate to turn it. I haven't put on my larger jaws in many years.

Thanks, guys. First, this is a recess -- not a tenon. This is a large hunk of just felled willow. Very green, very wet. Grain is running sideways. This is just a practice piece for me.

Garth Sheane
04-25-2014, 3:00 PM
A few months ago I just had started roughing out a 14" yellow cedar bowl and popped the tenon off. I then cut about a 3" by 1/2" deep recess for my Oneway chuck and it worked fine.

Reed Gray
04-25-2014, 5:06 PM
Your really hard brittle woods, and softer woods, especially pine/cedar types are more prone to breaking off than medium hard woods like cherry. They tend to break rather than flex. I do tend to over size those when turning them, and be much more gentle when cutting and coring.

robo hippy