PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Roll is ruining our country!

Moses Yoder
04-24-2014, 4:58 PM
Remember how our parents railed against Rock & Roll? Now it's classic rock, really tame stuff. The rant against video games made me think of all the things my dad railed against when I was a kid. I bet Bill Gates listened to Rock & Roll music too. Along with billions of other people that went on to build something with their lives.

David Weaver
04-24-2014, 5:00 PM
The rant against video games doesn't remotely remind me of the rock and roll issue.

curtis rosche
04-24-2014, 5:03 PM
ever been to a metal concert recently?

Chuck Wintle
04-24-2014, 5:04 PM
i find a lot of the music is more noise than actual music. I consider the rock and roll of the 60's and 70's to be real music and also some of the newer music today is OK. But frankly some of it today is just garbage.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2014, 5:11 PM
When I was playing in rock bands before the British Invasion of the early 60's, rock and roll was known to be a communist plot meant to ruin this country.

Music is simply a matter of personal taste.

David Weaver
04-24-2014, 5:55 PM
I said the above because I'm part of both generations:
* the kids who have parents who wanted to censor their music
* kids who wasted a substantial part of childhood playing video games, to the point that it was sometimes detrimental.

The music never was a real detriment, and being involved with it (I was in a Zeppelin cover band) expanded my brain and was good socially. When I later had a series of somewhat difficult and very time consuming professional exams to take, music was am asset.

Video games never provided any of that, but they did rob time from studies and cut into social development (and sleep).

I see the same often elsewhere.

Moses Yoder
04-24-2014, 6:13 PM
I guess I am just blessed with well behaved daughters. My youngest daughter is on spring break this week. When my wife is at work it is my job to wash the dishes when I get home (late dinner, dishes are washed next day before dinner) and yesterday I came home to find the dishes already washed. My daughter said "Well, I didn't have anything else to do." We never discouraged them from anything they wanted to do, in fact we did the opposite. We tried to provide them with the things they needed to do what they wanted to do. My philosophy is to live the way I would want my children to live and then let them live the way they choose to live. This probably wouldn't work with all types of kids, but it has worked extremely well with ours. No ranting about staying out late (all we ask is they let us know where they are at) no ranting about too much time on the computer, playing video games etc.

Kev Williams
04-24-2014, 6:34 PM
funny.... I have a cousin who pretty much does nothing except collect music, which he listens to while playing video games.

-- if I left the story at that, you would definitely be left with a completely wrong impression of him. So I'll continue... ;)

He was born in 1959. About a week after his 16th birthday his son was born. Mom was still 15 years old. His uncle was a butcher, and got him a job at the store where he worked. A year later he had a daughter. He worked and raised his kids as any good dad. He got into a record club when he was 12 years old. By the time his son was born he had probably 300 record albums. He buys around 6 to 10 albums a month. Every month. When CD's came out in the 80's he started buying those along with vinyl. He didn't get into video games until the late 90's, but it became his second hobby. To be honest, I have no idea how many video games he has, but I do know that when he gets home from work, he and his wife fire up the stereo and play video games. If you can think of any musical recording, in any genre, he probably has it. I'll bet he could start 10 different radio stations in 10 different genre's and never play the same song twice on any of them for over a week. Maybe a month. But he'd have to give up his meat cutting job...

His kids are almost in their 40's, he makes pretty good money, isn't in debt, and he and his wife are great people. If rock 'n roll and video games were going to be detrimental to anyone... ;)

Matt Meiser
04-24-2014, 6:55 PM
I've always thought it was old men who think they know what everyone else should be doing myself. ;)

Jim Matthews
04-24-2014, 7:49 PM
As an old man, I resemble that remark.

I think any music where the performers are actually playing
or singing is a worthy endeavor.

Where it's more of a puppet show, with a "Virtual" performer on stage, not so much.

FYI - I think Jimmy Page is a genius, and has range far beyond his Zeppelin output.

ray hampton
04-24-2014, 8:02 PM
I've always thought it was old men who think they know what everyone else should be doing myself. ;)

and you would be RIGHT so the next time that your elderly tell you what to do , DO IT [double time ]

Phil Thien
04-24-2014, 10:56 PM
His kids are almost in their 40's, he makes pretty good money, isn't in debt, and he and his wife are great people. If rock 'n roll and video games were going to be detrimental to anyone... ;)

No, video games and rock and roll will rot his brain, you just haven't waited long enough yet.

It will happen. You will see.

:)

Justin Ludwig
04-25-2014, 8:18 AM
FYI - I think Jimmy Page is a genius, and has range far beyond his Zeppelin output.

I agree, but I also wonder if his heroin use was a detriment to his progression? Much of Zeppelin's success is due in part to Jones' amazing ability at arrangement.

Clapton quit recording for years because of heroin addiction.

As for the initial argument? It will always be something. It's very hard to empathize with the changes in generations and I'm guilty of it myself.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-25-2014, 8:27 AM
Rock and roll and video games don't rot your brain, its the Mountain Dew that does that... ;)

Matt Meiser
04-25-2014, 8:45 AM
and you would be RIGHT so the next time that your elderly tell you what to do , DO IT [double time ]

Yeah, just look where all those old men in DC have gotten us.

Chris Padilla
04-25-2014, 3:04 PM

Where he took Zeppelin was to the moon and back and he continues the loop with reissues that include "new" original material. People tend to forget that he PRODUCED all of Zeppelin's albums to go along side his virtuoso guitar playing.

I agree, but I also wonder if his heroin use was a detriment to his progression? Much of Zeppelin's success is due in part to Jones' amazing ability at arrangement.

Every member of Zeppelin could have likely been successful musicians on their own (their solo careers have been good) but to have collected THAT kind of raw talent into one group, it is no wonder that Led Zeppelin reached the plateau they did and they continue to bring in new legion of fans all the time. I'm happy to say that my daughter has been digging into my old record collections (LPs and cassettes) although she can find everything online now more easily.

Sorry for the digression...back on topic here.... :D

Julie Moriarty
04-25-2014, 4:01 PM
ever been to a metal concert recently?
My SO's kids, both in their 20's, think a concert is a guy with mouse ears playing music through a computer.
The one concert I'll never forget was in the early 70's. The Jeff Beck Group, Blue Oyster Cult, Argent and Uriah Heep, as the headliner. http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Emoticons/guitar_12_zps77cc585b.gif

There's a 22 year-old on American Idol now who just may bring rock to his generation. Wednesday he was putting on another amazing performance and the mic flew off the stand holder. Somehow he managed not to miss a beat. The cameras were on the drummer at the time but it turned back to him just as he was retrieving the mic. The crowd loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdzks5YTfNA

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2014, 5:03 PM
....which band had so many of the greatest rock musicians in it before they reached their eventual peaks?????????????

The Yardbirds.............with Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page......Keith Relf.....Chris Dreja.....Jim McCarty.....

Jason Roehl
04-25-2014, 6:49 PM
I used to listen to lots of different music, but then changes in life led me to listen to a particular genre, but now, I don't even listen to it that much. I just have a hard time supporting such a horrible industry. Whether it's a large number of musicians who can't handle the fame and fortune, turning to chemicals to cope, or the contract side of it that requires the musicians to sell their souls, it's just a dirty game that I have a hard time supporting (or, in many people's cases, idolizing). Never mind that calling a lot of it "music" is a stretch, IMHO.

Frederick Skelly
04-25-2014, 8:08 PM
My SO's kids, both in their 20's, think a concert is a guy with mouse ears playing music through a computer.
The one concert I'll never forget was in the early 70's. The Jeff Beck Group, Blue Oyster Cult, Argent and Uriah Heep, as the headliner. http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Emoticons/guitar_12_zps77cc585b.gif

There's a 22 year-old on American Idol now who just may bring rock to his generation. Wednesday he was putting on another amazing performance and the mic flew off the stand holder. Somehow he managed not to miss a beat. The cameras were on the drummer at the time but it turned back to him just as he was retrieving the mic. The crowd loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdzks5YTfNA

Wow Julie, you got to see Heep? I bet that concert kicked!

Long live really loud rock music!