PDA

View Full Version : Screen Door Material

jeffrey bailey
04-24-2014, 1:07 PM
Thinking of building two screen doors for our screen porch. Saw a webpage where they had used PVC boards for theirs. Does anyone have any experience using PVC? I'm wondering if it will sag.

Peter Quinn
04-24-2014, 5:17 PM
The PVC i've used is designed to be fully supported by framing, is not structural, is a little like limp spaghetti. It would not be my first choice. Maybe something more like trex might work? I have no idea how you would join and glue it to make a door frame. Wood is a good choice, strong, light, easy to work with tools.

Sam Murdoch
04-24-2014, 10:40 PM
The PVC i've used is designed to be fully supported by framing, is not structural, is a little like limp spaghetti. It would not be my first choice. Maybe something more like trex might work? I have no idea how you would join and glue it to make a door frame. Wood is a good choice, strong, light, easy to work with tools.

I agree. I really like South American Cedar. It is light weight, rot resistant, holds paint and fastenings very well, but looks great with just an oil finish (like mahogany). I would never use PVC in this application. PVC can be good used with secure fastenings in a stable format - floors and railings for example, but in a dynamic structure like a door - forget about it. Heavy, prone to become misshapen in sunlight, and can only be painted with light colors - to name a few deficits.

Joe Cowan
04-25-2014, 1:39 PM
I was thinking about actually buying a screen door from a company that make one that you can interchange glass and screens for the different seasons. They had all the options in various woods, and want to send me red oak when I told them it would be installed in NC.

Peter Quinn
04-25-2014, 2:38 PM
I was thinking about actually buying a screen door from a company that make one that you can interchange glass and screens for the different seasons. They had all the options in various woods, and want to send me red oak when I told them it would be installed in NC.

Red oak storm door huh.....nope.....unless it's on a very very covered porch.

jeffrey bailey
04-26-2014, 7:50 AM
Thanks for the input. I will look at something else then.

Jim Matthews
04-26-2014, 8:14 AM
There are commercial products using PVC and vinyl.
Perhaps the dimensions of the material make a difference in the frame stiffness?

http://www.screentight.com/prod-screen-doors-vinyl.shtml