PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax S45 Replacement Motor

Peter Kelly
04-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Does anyone here have experience with replacing a motor on an S45 bandsaw? I have an opportunity to purchase one that looks quite clean, comes with Carter Guides, blades, etc. however, it needs a completely new motor (the seller has indicated that the existing one is definitely not repairable). I’ve found an italian-made Samco one on Parts Pronto but the cost is over $700 with shipping which makes this not really worth it.

I understand that some of the two-tone green models were shipped with 1.5hp Baldor motors. If anyone who has this could let me know the Baldor part number or motor type, I’d certainly appreciate it.

David Kumm
04-24-2014, 2:19 PM
If the motor is a C frame, measure the bolt pattern and see if a NEMA will fit or if you can drill new holes. Will likely need a new pulley too but you should be able to replace pretty easily. Dave

Jeff Duncan
04-24-2014, 2:34 PM
I would contact the seller and get the frame number for the motor. Unless it is a metric frame there are a LOT of motors available on e-bay for pretty reasonable money. Heck even metric sizes come up now and then.

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Kelly
04-25-2014, 10:45 AM
If the motor is a C frame, measure the bolt pattern and see if a NEMA will fit or if you can drill new holes. Will likely need a new pulley too but you should be able to replace pretty easily. DaveI was imagining this as a possibility but am a little uncertain as to how easily I could fit a c-face type motor onto the saw. I suppose I’ll need to go and look at it this weekend. Hopefully it would just be a matter of drilling out some sheet metal and ordering a new pulley along with the motor. I’ve looked extensively at D80D metric motors but all of them seem to be 3ph and I’m not feeling confident enough to wire a VFD.

Thanks for the advice.

Sam Layton
04-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Hi Peter,

I have a MM S45 with a Baldor motor 1.5 hp. The frame number is, D80D, SER F597, 3450 rpm's. If you need any more info just let me know.

Sam

Sam Layton
04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Peter,

I just saw the above post regarding 3 phase. My Baldor motor is single phase. The D80D just bolts up to saw.

Sam

Peter Kelly
04-25-2014, 2:04 PM
I'm a little surprised that the motor turns at 3450, would have thought that was rather fast. I was set to buy a 1725 or 1800 rpm one.

Thanks for the note. Much appreciated.

Peter Kelly
05-05-2014, 1:24 PM
Well, I picked this up on Saturday for $400. Looks almost unused and comes with Carter guides and several unused blades, original belt and pulley, just no motor. I’m thinking I’ll be able to retrofit a 56C frame motor and either purchase a new sheave or bore out and re-key the existing one from 19mm to 7/8”.

http://www.peterakelly.com/media/bs.jpg

Other than the rather unfortunate blade changing arrangement and crummy stock fence, it seems like a big upgrade from my existing Delta 14” with riser block.

John Sanford
05-05-2014, 9:56 PM
Why not just contact MINIMAX? Give 'em the machine's serial # and good pics, they can probably answer your questions.

Peter Kelly
05-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately the 1.8kw metric replacement motor from Parts Pronto is $695 plus shipping. I can get a 56C 2 hp Leeson for $222 from Surplus Center. Including a new Fenner belt and 2" sheave, the total should come to less than $300.

John Sanford
05-06-2014, 2:10 AM
Unfortunately the 1.8kw metric replacement motor from Parts Pronto is $695 plus shipping. I can get a 56C 2 hp Leeson for $222 from Surplus Center. Including a new Fenner belt and 2" sheave, the total should come to less than $300.

I think perhaps you misunderstand what I'm suggesting. Minimax should be able to tell you exactly what you want to know as far as frame size, motor specs, etc, go.

Peter Kelly
05-06-2014, 10:13 AM
I think perhaps you misunderstand what I'm suggesting. Minimax should be able to tell you exactly what you want to know as far as frame size, motor specs, etc, go.I've got all that data. If anyone has a good source for single phase TEFC WEG or CEG metric motors, I'd love to know.

Erik Loza
05-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I think perhaps you misunderstand what I'm suggesting. Minimax should be able to tell you exactly what you want to know as far as frame size, motor specs, etc, go.

Actually, as much as I would love to say it were that easy, it is not. The issue with Euro machinery, regardless of mfr., is that there is no "one" motor mfr. that is used. The factory could source out, for example, half a dozen different motors over the course of a decade, to fit this or that machine. Sometimes, motors may be available from us but sometimes, not. Again, this is the way it seems to be with Euro machinery manufacturers. Parts schematics only call out a motor by voltage,Kw, Hz, and phasing, not measurements or cross reference. For folks who own machines that are quite old, you may have better luck by measuring the motor flange, arbor dia., rpm's, etc., and sourcing out a replacement motor, yourself. Lots of good electric motors on Flea-bay, surplus sites, etc. It sounds like Peter already knows all this.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

lee cox
09-18-2016, 8:53 PM
I wonder if he ever found a motor. I have a Minimax S45 bandsaw two-tone green. The motor is getting very hot. I think it needs bearings. If I can't get bearings I may need another motor. I would prefer the Baldor listed above if it will work as I don't currently have a Baldor, Does the Baldor D80D, SER F597, 3450 rpm's fit? What size pulley?

Rich Riddle
09-18-2016, 11:11 PM
Lee,

My suggestion would be to send Peter or Sam a private message or e-mail.

Steve Peterson
09-18-2016, 11:34 PM
I have a green S45 with a replacement motor. I bought it used from a guy that had a custom aluminum adapter plate made, so I can't help with the specifics in your case. I think he bought it used and replaced a 3-phase motor with single phase.

The motor that came with my saw was a 3hp 3450 RPM motor. It ran way too fast in my opinion. I swapped it out for a 2hp 1725 RPM motor and am much happier. I forget the exact calculations, but it brought the speed from around 4000 fpm down to around 2000 fpm.

Steve

lee cox
09-18-2016, 11:58 PM
I have a green S45 with a replacement motor. I bought it used from a guy that had a custom aluminum adapter plate made, so I can't help with the specifics in your case. I think he bought it used and replaced a 3-phase motor with single phase.

The motor that came with my saw was a 3hp 3450 RPM motor. It ran way too fast in my opinion. I swapped it out for a 2hp 1725 RPM motor and am much happier. I forget the exact calculations, but it brought the speed from around 4000 fpm down to around 2000 fpm.

Steve

What size motor pulley did you use?

I should add my saw works great. I hate to change anything. I also need to check my motor size as I don't know the hp. If I have 3 hp I guess I don't want to drop down to 1.5 hp.

Eric Commarato
09-19-2016, 5:40 PM
Well, I picked this up on Saturday for $400. Looks almost unused and comes with Carter guides and several unused blades, original belt and pulley, just no motor. I’m thinking I’ll be able to retrofit a 56C frame motor and either purchase a new sheave or bore out and re-key the existing one from 19mm to 7/8”.

http://www.peterakelly.com/media/bs.jpg

Other than the rather unfortunate blade changing arrangement and crummy stock fence, it seems like a big upgrade from my existing Delta 14” with riser block.

I just posted over on OWWM.ORG some photos of my MM S-45 with a Kreg Band Saw Fence added. Another member wanted to replace his fence and posted pictures of mine. I think the post is called Bandsaws Covered...

Erik Loza
09-19-2016, 6:14 PM
Eric, thanks for posting that. I've talked to several guys who put the Kreg fence on older S45's but never actually seen photos of it. Looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing.

Erik

Eric Commarato
09-20-2016, 8:55 AM
Eric, thanks for posting that. I've talked to several guys who put the Kreg fence on older S45's but never actually seen photos of it. Looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing.

Erik

Thanks Erik. It really was a pretty easy install, you just have to spot and drill/tap a few holes. It also works fabulous, a much improved upgrade from the stock fence.

Eric

Peter Kelly
09-20-2016, 10:27 AM
I wonder if he ever found a motor. I have a Minimax S45 bandsaw two-tone green. The motor is getting very hot. I think it needs bearings. If I can't get bearings I may need another motor. I would prefer the Baldor listed above if it will work as I don't currently have a Baldor, Does the Baldor D80D, SER F597, 3450 rpm's fit? What size pulley?I ended up finding a replacement CEG motor on Fleabay and had the existing pulley bored out to match.

http://i.imgur.com/BabYx6F.jpg

I'd try replacing the bearings on your S45, really isn't that difficult. Replacement ones can easily be ordered from VXB (http://www.vxb.com/Default.asp).

Rich Riddle
09-20-2016, 10:42 AM
I ended up finding a replacement CEG motor on Fleabay and had the existing pulley bored out to match. I'd try replacing the bearings on your S45, really isn't that difficult. Replacement ones can easily be ordered from VXB (http://www.vxb.com/Default.asp).Many of us old timers use Lynn at Accurate Bearings for bearings. She is extremely helpful to say the least. If you can find a motor shop, you can also get the motor reworked and rebuilt. Most times that's a good alternative to a different motor.

Peter Kelly
09-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Totally agree. A set of good quality SKF or Nachi bearings will set you back way less than $50.

The machine i bought didn't come with a motor in the first place so repair wasn't an option. Finding a metric replacement turned out to be a complete headache as well. New ones are available from Parts Pronto but SCM charges $700 and I believe the arbor size is different so you'd need a replacement pulley too. Most if not all good-quality metric motors available from CEG, WEG or Elektrim are three phase. Not so easy to source a single phase one.

I'm thrilled with the S45 otherwise. Even made the stock fence somewhat workable though the Kreg one above looks awesome.

lee cox
09-20-2016, 4:16 PM
I did the drill/tap with the Kreg fence copying Eric. It worked great. I need to solve my motor issues now.

Erik Loza
09-21-2016, 8:11 AM
The S45 is an underrated saw. In every other market but the US, it out-sells the Centauro line by a pretty fair margin. The S45 has never been a huge seller (new) here in the states because the price is much closer to the MM16 than to the whole slew of Chaiwanese machines it is comparable to in spec. Back in the Minimax USA days, we had one of the old Mustard-colored S45's in the shop. 3-phase, 1.5hp. We used it like a chop saw, for making crate parts. The guys used to back into that thing all the time with the forklift and I think I heard it fall over a few times. Ran like a champ, never skipped a beat.

Erik

Ron Magliocco
11-11-2016, 6:05 PM
Hi everyone - I'm brand new to the site and I'm hoping someone with an S45 can help me out. I just picked an older yellow one today for $125. Needs new guides and it has a 3PH motor which I am having tested now at the local electric motor shop. In the event that the motor doesn't work, I would like to replace it with more HP and lower rpm US motor. I'm going to use it mostly to saw bowl blanks from green logs so torque is very important. If anyone out there has done this, please can you send me all the specs on the motor you used. Thanks very much in advance.

Ron

Ron Magliocco
11-15-2016, 10:40 PM
Hi - did you ever end up replacing the motor on your Minimax s45. I'm at that stage now and I'm looking for an easy solution. Can you send photos or motor specs to me?

Ron