PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Board Bevel Angles

Steve Kang
04-24-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm looking for some knowledge, experience or opinions on shooting board bevel angles. I have a ton of miters to shoot for a project (368 to be exact) and would like to know if a 25 or 38 degree bevel would be best for the task? I'll be using a LV low angle jack plane and the miters will be in 5/8's oak. The plan is to strop the blade frequently to maintain its edge.

My thoughts are that a 38 degree blade would likely hold up longer but a 25 degree blade would cut easier.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Brian Holcombe
04-24-2014, 11:00 AM
After putting a micro bevel on jack plane it's much worse for shooting. It was much better for shooting at 30 degrees. Next blade I but for it will be 25 degrees o1 and dedicated to shooting.

I cut about 200 miters recently...

Pedro Reyes
04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
I will come out and say I have never shot that much, much less in one sitting.

But your assumptions are correct about life vs ease. You are cutting endgrain at an angle (miters) so I would go with higher than 25, it is already easier to cut at 45 than it is to cut at 90 anyway.

Pedro

Derek Cohen
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
I have used a LV LA Jack on a shooting board with an A2 blade bevelled at 25 degrees for several years. No chipping.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Wish my LN LA Jack blade held up shooting at 25 degrees; I had to raise it up to avoid tiny chipping.

With that many cuts to shoot, make sure you get your sawing accurate first - it'll make that shooting job much easier!

Either way, I'd love to see what this project is!

Jim Koepke
04-24-2014, 12:27 PM
My LN #62 is almost exclusively used as a shooting plane. The blade is beveled at 25º. It holds up fairly well as long as it doesn't get nicked by a knot.

Depending on your project a nick or two may not matter.

With that many to do it would likely be a good idea to have your stones close by and ready to go.

jtk

glenn bradley
04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I have used a LV LA Jack on a shooting board with an A2 blade bevelled at 25 degrees for several years. No chipping.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I do the same. No compaints. What you are shooting will possibly alter your results but, unless it is pecan, bubinga, jarrah or another extremely hard wood, I doubt it.

Steve Kang
04-24-2014, 2:55 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I'll start off at 25 degrees and go from there depending on my results.

Cheers,

SK