PDA

View Full Version : Low deck build

James Runchey
04-24-2014, 7:38 AM
I have a house built on a slab with only 6 inches to ground level. I'm thinking of laying pressure treated 2 x 4s flat and going with some kind of decking over that. Do think this will rot out with direct ground contact over time?

Larry Edgerton
04-24-2014, 9:24 AM
Yes, it will. Its not if but when, I suggest you look into masonry of some sort. Its permanent and will probably cost you less.

Larry

Mike Lassiter
04-24-2014, 9:45 AM
With little ground clearance I think a patio from pavers or concrete is in order. While concrete is "permanent" it can crack and develop gaps and uneven areas that you could trip on. Just like some sidewalks have. A word of caution - trees around a concrete slab can cause problems down the road from roots growing under the concrete that will lead to cracking and uplifting of spots.
Use to work for city street dept years ago and this was very common issue on sidewalks where developers planted trees by them in front yards. Roots can grow a long way, and grown in diameter as they grow. Shrubs and bushes not a problem, but trees will be at some point if concrete is typical thickness.

Jerome Stanek
04-24-2014, 10:34 AM
We built some decks like that but used composite material

Mel Fulks
04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
The site makes a lot of difference. If it has a slight slope ,which could be dug and helped by drainage pipe, it could last a
long time since the heavier support pieces are rated ground contact. I've seen some info that only rates the average deck
at fifteen year life.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Is something like a building a deck governed by building codes or zoning permits in your area? The downstairs unit in our building had a similar deck situation thing built, they needed a zoning permit or whatever, but I don't know if the permit requirement was because it also supported a small roof, because they hired a contractor, because the property was looking toward being a rental or what; anyway, I do remember talking to the contractor guy (he was also building a second story deck on our unit at the time) and that code dictated precisely that he *not* do what you're suggesting. (Not that he would have anyways, for the reasons others mention, but again, the roof over it changes things anyway) So worth checking what codes apply where you are, if any.

Jason Roehl
04-24-2014, 9:18 PM
I see you're in IL, which will be a humid enough place that a deck in close proximity to the ground will rot in pretty short order, especially if it's shaded most of the day. And, until it rots, it will be much harder to keep any sort of finish on it. I second the hardscaping recommendation. As an aside, treated 2x4s typically aren't rated for ground contact like 4x4s and larger are.

Harry Hagan
04-25-2014, 1:52 PM
Forget the wood. It's too high maintenance. Go with pavers. Brick pavers are better because they won't fade like dyed concrete pavers.

Also, use brick pavers that form a tight joint and don't require a polymetric joint filler (width is half of length). Polymetric joint filler discolors and deteriorates over time and is costly and time consuming to maintain and replace. Broom sand into tight-fitting brick joints every spring and they look like new.

Jim Matthews
04-25-2014, 4:46 PM
If you must use sleepers, dig out the area and back fill with fine stone.

I put concrete post bases on a crushed stone pad to support my woodshed.
It has drainage beneath, and sufficient ventilation that it stays dry.

The stone fill makes it easy to adjust the height of the bases to start and stay on the level.
http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/porch-deck-and-patio/platform-deck/project