PDA

View Full Version : First Workbench

Peter Widders
04-23-2014, 11:22 PM

My first workbench is almost complete. The bench is a modified Roubo from Chris Schwarz's book. The bench was retirement project #2. Next in line are 2 new gates and then a small Arts and Crafts Desk. The modifications were to use 2 partial end caps and a Veritas sliding tail vice (great bit of gear!). The bench is 95% Douglas Fir with a small amount of recycled pine pallets for a few pieces in the legs. The Douglas Fir was removed from the rear of our house when we extended in 1986 and was original to the 1926 build. It had been stored under cover since '86 and was nicely dry and really nice timber. Longest piece was 18' x 7 1/2" x 2 3/4" with a good few in the 10 - 12' range. There were a few nails to remove but the age of the timber (and previous use) has given the bench a really nice 'finish'. European beech was used for the end vice faces and top of the sliding tail vice. Leg vice has a Lie-Nielsen vice screw, with a handle almost done. Length is 78"; width is 25" with 5" square legs and 36" height.
I have been a serial 'lurker' on the 'Creek during the process and owe a great debt to all who continue their posts and dialogue on this terrific community.
Peter Widders

Mark Kornell
04-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Nice-looking bench, Peter. That DF has a nice glow.

Is the top the same thickness across the width?
In pic #2, it looks like the top of the tail vise is slightly elevated from the rest of the top. Am I seeing things?

Peter Widders
04-24-2014, 6:55 PM
Thanks Mark. The bench is totally flush....probably a trick of the light as there is a window down that side. The tail vice instructions called for 4 dog holes on top and 3 on the side. As I said in the post, it is a great piece of gear.
Peter

Paul Saffold
04-24-2014, 8:23 PM
Good looking bench and nice to reuse good material.

Joe A Faulkner
04-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Nice looking bench. Sounds like most of your cost was in vise hardware. Leaves more in the budget for other tools. Are you planing dog holes along the front edge of the bench?

Peter Widders
04-25-2014, 3:57 AM
Thanks Joe. And you are correct- cost was in the vise hardware, some Titebond 3 and fittings and fastenings for the parallel guide. The guides have not arrived at their final 'destination' as yet - still a work in progress there. It is almost as if they need to be spring loaded in the vertical plane ...???
I plan to add more dog holes as need arises. Your crystal ball is correct: today's first real use of the bench has identified a need for a hole or 2 in the front where the sliding deadman dogholes are too low. Kinda fun using it and finding out what else is needed.