PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Dennis Nagle--light box

Steve Doerr
04-23-2014, 8:03 PM
Thanks Dennis for your recent post about your new light box. Ordered mine after reading your post and got it in the mail yesterday. Put it together day and was very pleased with the results. It was interesting, after I ordered it I read some of the reviews and people were complaining about hope poor the lights were. Well, I used the manual settings and as I said was very happy with the results. The pictures below are completely untouched (except for cropping). The background may be just a little off but not by much. First turning is pecan, the second is red elm and the third is pecan. (The second and third pictures are my wife's 2nd and 3rd bowl turnings:D)

Jon McElwain
04-23-2014, 8:42 PM
Steve,

Classy looking bowls, each with a different rim treatment. I think I like the center on the best with the inward tilted rim. What finish did you use?

Dennis Nagle
04-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Very nice work Steve. I'm glad you got great results. I think for the price they are a great bargain.

Steve Doerr
04-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Jon--the first bowl was shellac, steel wooled and then Beall buffed. The other two were dipped in a blend of oils (equal parts BLO, Danish Oil and WOP) dried for 4 or 5 days and then Beall buffed.

Dennis--you are right for the price you just can't beat it. Plus, it comes with its own storage bag that holds everything.

Jon McElwain
04-24-2014, 1:14 PM
Are you using a Beall bowl buffer for the inside?

Steve Doerr
04-24-2014, 4:38 PM
On the smaller bowls like these I use the 3" Beall buffs. I also have the Beall buff balls but do not find them as effective as the wheels. Both large and small buffing wheels seem to work well for me.