PDA

View Full Version : PM PJ882 Parallelogram Jointer...

Derek Arita
04-23-2014, 6:45 PM
For those of you that have one, I'd like to know if the tables hold their adjustment very well. I got mine just before a move. Two years later, I'm just getting around to adjusting the machine to use. I will have to move the machine every time I use it, so I was wondering about the talbes holding their adjustment.
I lucked out and the outfeed table is in perfect alignment with the blades, so I have the table set at around .010 above the blades. I'm going to be adjusting the infeed table to the outfeed table. I found it's pretty far out, so this should be fun. I just want to know if I make normal use height adjustments to the infeed table, will it hold its coplaner adjustment to the outfeed table? I'm asking for actual users, as that would be the most applicable.

Jim Andrew
04-24-2014, 8:06 AM
I have a Grizzly parallelogram jointer,GO609, and even removed one of the tables to install a Byrd cutterhead, put it back on, checked it and it was still right, have moved it and still works the same. Very happy with mine, if you look at the Griz website, it is not their highest grade jointer, but don't see how it could be improved.

Larry Edgerton
04-24-2014, 9:19 AM
No experiance with a PM, but I have had no issues moving Parallelogram jointers. .

Larry

Paul McGaha
04-24-2014, 1:16 PM
Hi Derek,

I've had a PJ 882 since about 2005. The tables hold their adjustments well. No issues at all with mine.

I would expect the infeed table will hold it's coplanar adjustment to the outfeed table.

The PJ 882 is a nice tool. Probably the best tool in my shop.

PHM

Derek Arita
04-24-2014, 4:47 PM
Hi Derek,

I've had a PJ 882 since about 2005. The tables hold their adjustments well. No issues at all with mine.

I would expect the infeed table will hold it's coplanar adjustment to the outfeed table.

The PJ 882 is a nice tool. Probably the best tool in my shop.

PHM
Thanks Paul. I'm hoping you're right. The short story is, I've had this jointer for several years. When I first got it, the infeed table was concaved and I couldn't joint a board flat with it, to save my life. Now, years later, I check the tables again to decide whether or not to sell the machine as it is taking up space and much to my surprise and delight, both tables are flat to within .002". Could the years spent sitting have flattened out the tables? Will the tables keep changing shape like that?
Now that the machine is worth keeping, I spent the time to make the adjustments to within a couple of thousandths. Test cuts are showing a .001 or so, concave cut, which light hand pressure gets rid of. I'm pretty satisfied.
I have a 12" MiniMax J/P that has tables that aren't very flat as well. Adjusted, the machine joints short boards fairly well, but anything longer than a couple of feet and the concave cut becomes more of a problem...not a big problem, but more that I know it's there. At any rate, it's nice that I can now use the PJ882 for precise or longer jointed surfaces. For wider boards, I can live with MM the cuts.

Paul McGaha
04-24-2014, 5:41 PM
I guess I was lucky with mine. Really good right out of the box. No problems with it. I had a Powermatic Helical Head put on it last summer. Pleasure to own and use it.

If I'm not mistaken when I bought mine the PJ 882 was pretty new to the market. Maybe the quality control was really good on that tool about the time mine was built.

I hope it works out well for you. I expect I'll have mine for years to come.

Every once in a while I wish I had a 12" jointer but not often enough to justify the upgrade as I'm a hobbyist.

PHM

Derek Arita
04-24-2014, 7:01 PM
One question I do have is, is it best to get the outfeed table even with the blades top-dead-center? I've always adjusted the outfeed table about .001" below the blades. It's something I read quite a few years ago. What do you all do?