PDA

View Full Version : dust mask

Dave Fritz
04-23-2014, 2:35 PM
I'm wondering what mask provides the best lung protection from dust? I assumed that if you can smell the wood being milled the dust is reaching your lungs. Is that true?

Thanks,

Dave Fritz

Prashun Patel
04-23-2014, 3:12 PM
That is not always true. There are volatile compounds in the wood that are responsible for the smell. They can be bound up in the dust such that you smell it when breathing in dust, but they can also be released from the wood into the air freely - especially during milling.

I like the 3m half masks.

Robert Delhommer Sr
04-23-2014, 4:52 PM
X2 on 3M Half mask.

Dave Fritz
04-23-2014, 5:32 PM
Thanks I actually have the 3M 6391 reusable respirator with P100 filters on them. The wood I smelled was some cherry and white oak. I didn't smell the walnut at all. Interesting.

Dave Fritz

Mike Cutler
04-23-2014, 5:52 PM
The "best mask" would be a positive pressure, air purifying respirator. The only "affordable" one would be the Trend, used in conjunction with a hood.

glenn bradley
04-23-2014, 5:53 PM
Odors are particular so if you smell something, it is in your nose. Whether or not it is bound to something large enough to cause concern is another discussion. I find the peripheral vision I lose with most half mask units unsafe BUT, I have a narrow sort of hatchet face :(. The best respirator for you may not be the best respirator for me and all that. This is my current favorite. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PN8YPC/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Available at welder's supply or Amazon.

John Conklin
04-23-2014, 6:25 PM
I've taken numerous industrial respirator fit tests in the course of my job. After the occupational health professional gets you in a mask that best fits your face, they tell you to breath regularly while they wave a device that makes smoke (perhaps vapor) around your mask. If you can smell it (the best smells like buttered popcorn), they're not happy with the fit and adjust it or switch to a different one. I'm no expert, but I think the rational is that the air that's carrying the odor in would also carry in particulate that you don't want in your lungs.

Frank Martin
04-24-2014, 1:02 AM
I have allergies so I invested in a 3M Adflo mask with a belt mounted power HEPA filter. I love it, but is quite expensive. The nice thing is I can use it for extended periods of time with no comfort issues. I tried the older version of Trend but found it uncomfortable.

Tai Fu
04-24-2014, 6:13 AM
3M half masks with P100 filter works adequately, and is a lot more comfortable than N95 paper masks. They also filter nuisance level organic vapors so it can filter out some smells. Dust masks do not filter volatile compounds so you will smell the wood, it doesn't mean you are getting dust however.

Yonak Hawkins
04-24-2014, 8:39 AM
Keep in mind the 3M half masks come in different sizes. Finding the right size will help it to be the right shape for your face and avoid leaks. In my opinion, they size small, which means I use a Large and still think it may be a bit small.

Brian Deakin
04-24-2014, 10:07 AM
What is the difference between the 3M 6391 reusable respirator with P100 filters and the 600

regards Brian

steve johnson
10-03-2019, 1:54 PM
Unfortunately , the 3M mask says it does not work with a beard.

Frank Pratt
10-03-2019, 3:53 PM
Necro-thread here, but there is no face mask respirator that will work with a beard. The only kind that will are the powered or supplied air type that maintain positive pressure in the mask.

Patrick Kane
10-03-2019, 4:22 PM
I have the half mask with carbon filters for spraying, and then a full 3m face mask with the p100s. The face shield is more expensive, but its a nice piece of equipment. It gives you full face protection, which is an added bonus. I always struggle with eyeware protection fogging up. The 3m full shield does not. It also gives you a double seal around the face and then around the mouth. I think the 'ultimate' respirator is the powered air supplied ones. Respirators are uncomfortable 99% of the time. If its over 70, i really need to make a mess to wear mine.

Jim Becker
10-03-2019, 5:30 PM
I bought the RZ Mask for when I feel I need personal protection when hand sanding, etc. and it's comfortable and seems to do a reasonable job.

Ben Rivel
10-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Yep, have to throw in my vote for the 3M respirators. I have the 6200, 6500 and full face 7100 series all with P100 filters. Highly recommend any of those.

Osvaldo Cristo
10-04-2019, 12:19 PM
That is not always true. There are volatile compounds in the wood that are responsible for the smell. They can be bound up in the dust such that you smell it when breathing in dust, but they can also be released from the wood into the air freely - especially during milling.

I like the 3m half masks.

I fully agree.

I understand a lot of members here have sealed workshops... it is not my own case. My workshop is plenty naturally vented, one advantage to live in a tropical area! I use dust masks only for very dedicated functions like some sanding... although I usually do not use dust masks, when using them I always went to 3M ones.

Jon McElwain
10-04-2019, 12:43 PM
I bought the RZ Mask for when I feel I need personal protection when hand sanding, etc. and it's comfortable and seems to do a reasonable job.

I've got the RZ Mask too. Does a descent job, but keep in mind it is like a high end nuisance mask only.

Jim Becker
10-04-2019, 1:15 PM
I've got the RZ Mask too. Does a descent job, but keep in mind it is like a high end nuisance mask only.

True. It works for me because I'm rarely doing something where there is much hand-sanding. I keep it in its zip case, too, so that it doesn't get exposed to dust unless I'm actually wearing it.

Wayne Cannon
10-05-2019, 5:01 AM
For all around use, I highly recommend investing in a full face-shield, positive-air-pressure dust mask like the Trend, Triton, or 3M Airstream (I use the latter, but it has gone up in price).

Mine has a battery pack on my belt with a filter and small blower in the back of a lightweight helmet, a clear full-face shield, and an elasticized Tyvek membrane between the face shield and your face. Face shield protective layer and Tyvek membrane are replaceable. Some have the battery, filter, and fan on your belt and an air hose to the helmet. The air hose puts noticeable tension on your neck compared with just a wire.

Why?
· Cool gentle breeze across your face
· Works with glasses without fogging
· Any leakage exhausts air, so a snug, sweaty, fit isn't necessary
· Works for all tasks (e.g., lathe) where you need full face protection.
· More comfortable for all shop operations than respirators or disposable dust masks.
· Not suitable for toxic vapors.

Wayne Cannon
10-06-2019, 3:18 AM
The 3M Airstream (AS-400LBC) and similar positive-air-pressure full-face shields will work fine with beards, even full-face beards.

They have HEPA dust/particle filters available, but did not protect against toxic fumes.

Tom Bender
10-10-2019, 9:01 AM
Why do I go to the shop? Well it's not to suit up and spend my time in a loud and hazardous place. I spend 60% of my time there not making dust, on design, layout, hand tool work etc. When it's necessary to make dust I use dust collection and a respirator, then leave the space for the air filter to clean it up. I agree with Glenn about vision and the Miller mask.