PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Leslie 91000 drill bit sharpener and don't know much about it

Dennis Nagle
04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
My shop is both wood and metal and all my bits are dull to the point where they don't cut very fast in wood. I was going to buy a new set of bits but came across a Leslie 91000 industrial drill bit sharpener for 50 bucks on CL. I went to the guys house during lunch and picked it up. THis is a serious machine and one that would be found in a machine shop. Does anyone know it?

John McClanahan
04-23-2014, 1:04 PM
Only $50? Sounds like a serious gloat!

John

Bruce Page
04-23-2014, 1:20 PM
I used one too many years ago to remember the details. As I recall it was a nice grinder and straight forward to use. You can download the manual from the Lisle website: 91000 Drill Grinder Catalog & Instructions (http://www.lislecorp.com/uploads/files/91000_Drill_Grinder_Instructions_99F8C6E45E647.pdf )

Sharpening by hand is not difficult, there are some good YouTube videos on it. My wife bought me a Drill Doctor for Christmas one year. I played around with it and it does a nice job but I can sharpen a dozen bits by hand in the time it takes to pull out & set up the DD.

Dennis Nagle
04-23-2014, 1:26 PM
I tried that Bruce but I am too ham fisted to get it even in all dimensions. Thanks for the link.

Bruce Page
04-23-2014, 1:33 PM
Practice, practice, practice!
It's like learning how to ride a bicycle, once it clicks, you never forget. As a mold maker apprentice I HAD to learn how.

Dennis Nagle
04-23-2014, 3:05 PM
That may be true Bruce, but this is a cool tool and that has value on its own:D. We are flying out to Santa Fe Friday. I am looking forward to the chance to relax for a bit.

Bruce Page
04-23-2014, 3:12 PM
Santa Fe is beautiful this time of year. Give me a shout if you visit Albuquerque.

Dennis Nagle
04-23-2014, 3:49 PM
I appreciate the offer Bruce. We are flying into Denver and renting a car and taking 25 into Santa Fe. I don't think we'll get down to ABQ this trip, but we are going to send some time looking at houses....so I may be out there before next winter.

About the grinder. It was missing a couple screws and the diamond facing piece for dressing the wheel. I was able to replace all the missing screws from my stash and am waiting for a call from Leslie about the diamond piece. I didn't do a concourse job of refurbing it, just cleaned and lubed it. I think it will be a dandy.

Bruce Page
04-23-2014, 4:54 PM
Hopefully the diamond dresser doesn't cost you more than the grinder did. :eek:
It's a pretty good drive from Denver. LOML & I drove up to Denver & back last fall.

Dennis Nagle
04-23-2014, 5:09 PM
I just ordered it......9 bucks!!!