PDA

View Full Version : Engraving "kirinite"

Glen Monaghan
04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Anybody ever engrave "kirinite"? I've been asked to engrave logos in "kirinite" handles/scales on a new line of custom knives. Trying to track down an MSDS for the stuff. Doesn't appear to be anything like G10 or similar composites, guessing it's more like a solid plastic, so wondering if it will just melt or try to burn/bubble. I've asked for a sample or bit of scrap to test on but haven't got it yet, so thought I'd check whether anybody here has run across it/engraved it before?

Matt Turner (physics)
04-23-2014, 12:55 PM
From what I can find it's an acrylic resin (possibly with natural mother of pearl added?).

Glen Monaghan
04-23-2014, 11:52 PM
That's more than I'd found. So, start off by treating similar to acrylic...

David Somers
04-24-2014, 12:27 AM
I show it is the same as G-10. A phenolic resin.

Here is a link to an MSDS.

http://www.polymerplastics.com/images/msds_sheets/G_10.pdf

See if that helps you.

Dave

Mike Null
04-24-2014, 8:47 AM
If it has mop inlayed or in the mix then I would engrave at low power in multiple passes as the mop can crack easily if to much power is used. I haven't engraved mop but I have engraved abalone which I believe has some similarity to mop.

Glen Monaghan
04-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Apparently not really anything like G-10, but is acrylic based. According to KnifeDog:

Kirinite is an acrylic based material that is as tough as it is colorful. It is basically a toughened acrylic with very thin colored strands of poly paper swirled through the mix. This creates a 3D color process through the depth of the material.