PDA

View Full Version : Manta Ray lidded bowl

Kathy Marshall
04-23-2014, 12:24 AM
I've still been busy with projects around the house, but I did find some time to get this piece turned. Our club demonstration last month was on turning a manta ray bowl, so I decided to give it a try.
Hooked corners flying by at 1200 rpms keeps your attention focused and I managed to keep all my fingers intact. Then the opposing wings were carved off and then blended in with the bowl and remaining wings. I decided to go with 2 up and 2 down, but it could also be done with 3 and 1 in either direction, just a personal choice.
Once sanding was complete, I used my burner to texture the "up" wings, then dyed the wings and lid black. I was going to turn a mini manta ray for the knob but the blank I used was a little too thin and I was running short of time, so I just went for a similar form with 4 upturned wings.
It's about 8" x 8" and 5-6" tall, the form, lid and knob are all mesquite and it's finished with antique oil.
I've got a few more pieces in varying stages of completion, and hopefully I'll have time to get them finished and get back to posting on a more regular basis.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Rob Miller
04-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Beautiful, Kathy!

mike ash
04-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Now I like that Kathy!!! I'd be constantly looking at my fingers to see that they were all still there too!!!

Mike

Michelle Rich
04-23-2014, 6:30 AM
wow! great vessel

charlie knighton
04-23-2014, 8:49 AM
super.......like it a lot

Roger Chandler
04-23-2014, 9:26 AM
That is a beaut, K!!! I like your color combination and the knob/finial............just a wonderfully designed and executed piece of work! I have been thinking about doing a manta ray bowl myself......even posted a thread on the sequences..........I just need to get Terry Scott's DVD or watch someone who knows how do it demo it.

Or perhaps, a tutorial, posted from that famous Arizona woodturner ...........uh, what was her name? Oh yeah, I think it is Kathy Marshall! ;):D

That would be worth coming back and seeing..........you could charge admission..........50 cents per view! :D

Richard Madden
04-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Or perhaps, a tutorial, posted from that famous Arizona woodturner ...........uh, what was her name? Oh yeah, I think it is Kathy Marshall! ;):D

I second what Roger suggested.

Peter Lamb
04-23-2014, 2:58 PM
Very well done. Attractive addition to the original.
Thanks for sharing

Scott Hackler
04-23-2014, 3:52 PM
Very nice Kathy! I am glad you've found time to turn. Are you going to the AAW Symposium?

John Conklin
04-23-2014, 6:33 PM
That's so amazing I can't even wrap my noggin' around how it would be done. If the wings were all going one direction I could see it, but different?

Can anyone point me to an online video?

Beautiful work!

Barry Richardson
04-23-2014, 6:33 PM
That is really cool Kathy! Haven't been on here much for a couple of years, but I see your skill, and the fine quality of your pieces, is growing by leaps and bounds! Just fantastic, I may have to attempt that one someday...

Steve Doerr
04-23-2014, 8:14 PM
Very, very nice Kathy. I'm really impressed. I've got Terry's DVD and have been thinking about giving it a try. I agree with Roger, if you wanted to do a tutorial I'm sure we would all be very supportive:D

Kathy Marshall
04-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

That is a beaut, K!!! I like your color combination and the knob/finial............just a wonderfully designed and executed piece of work! I have been thinking about doing a manta ray bowl myself......even posted a thread on the sequences..........I just need to get Terry Scott's DVD or watch someone who knows how do it demo it.

That would be worth coming back and seeing..........you could charge admission..........50 cents per view! :D
Thanks Roger!
I might be able to write up a little tutorial, but it probably won't be until after the AAW Symposium. I need to get busy and get some bowls turned to donate to the Empty Bowls project, a Beads of Courage box and a few pieces for the Instant Gallery. Hopefully by the time that's over I'll still remember how to turn a manta ray bowl!

Very nice Kathy! I am glad you've found time to turn. Are you going to the AAW Symposium?
Thanks Scott! Yes, I'll be going, with it being in my back yard this year I wouldn't miss it for the world! Hope to see plenty of Creekers there!

That is really cool Kathy! Haven't been on here much for a couple of years, but I see your skill, and the fine quality of your pieces, is growing by leaps and bounds! Just fantastic, I may have to attempt that one someday...
Thanks Barry! Good to see you back again. I finally managed to turn that big Ironwood blank I got from you a couple years ago! It made a very nice (and heavy) bowl!

Very, very nice Kathy. I'm really impressed. I've got Terry's DVD and have been thinking about giving it a try. I agree with Roger, if you wanted to do a tutorial I'm sure we would all be very supportive:D
Thanks Steve! As posted above, I'll see what I can do about a tutorial this summer.

That's so amazing I can't even wrap my noggin' around how it would be done. If the wings were all going one direction I could see it, but different?

Can anyone point me to an online video?

Beautiful work!
Thanks John! I don't know of any online videos, but a search for "manta ray bowl" might turn up something.

Bob Bergstrom
04-23-2014, 11:34 PM
There are so many things right with this piece I don't know which I liked the best. It all works so well. A very difficult piece to get right. From the wings to the texturing I love it all.

William Tanner
04-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Very nice indeed. I will leave this for the adults.

Doug Ladendorf
04-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Wow, gorgeous work Kathy. I look forward to any insight to the mysteries if making this you provide.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-25-2014, 1:20 PM
An amazing piece Kathy, looks like a lot of carving along with the turning.

John Conklin
04-25-2014, 3:13 PM
Thanks Kathy, I did a search as you suggested and found a very informative instructional site that shows how the Manta Ray bowl is made. Wow, way beyond my abilities!