PDA

View Full Version : Spraying CA

Russell Neyman
04-22-2014, 1:07 AM
I use CA for two types of projects: for small items that need a shiny, durable surface (eg, pens and bottle stoppers) and ad a stablizer for punky wood. Occasionally, I will have a larger item that requires a great quantity of CA application. Like today: a customer brought me a large piece of buckeye, which is a light and fiberous wood t almost like balsa.

Normally, I'd apply it with a Q-tip, which almost always leads to brush lines that need sanding out. Today, it so happened that there was an old Windex sprayer on the workbench and I thought, "Why not?"

It worked! Sprayer is toast, but the CA went on evenly with no brush marks or runs. Thought others might like to give it a try.

Brian Brown
04-22-2014, 1:38 AM
I've thought about trying it with an airbrush, but one use per airbrush would get expensive. I'm glad it worked. I'll have to see if I can get a sprayer, and try it. One possible problem though. In the past, when I have used CA on Buckeye burl, after a few weeks, the wood turns to a yellow green color. I have a similar problem using it on box elder burl. It turns the wood bright lemon yellow.

Russell Neyman
04-22-2014, 9:57 AM
Actually, Brian, that yellow/green color is the reason I coat buckeye with CA. I find that "look" unusual and appealing.