PDA

View Full Version : Any Crosely Automobile enthusiasts?

Mac McQuinn
04-21-2014, 8:57 PM
I'm looking at a very original 1940's Crosley Station wagon, neat history, lots of spares and reasonably close to me. I've always been interested in vintage cars although the Crosley line is a mystery to me. Anyone have information in regards to these? They seem limited as far as HP and I'm questioning their ability to maintain a decent speed on back roads, IE. 55-60mph. I'd like to know if things can be improved upon such as engine modifications, transmission swaps, gearing, wiring, etc.
Mac

Larry Edgerton
04-21-2014, 9:53 PM
Some Crosleys had a siamesed block, actually sheet metal riveted together. I had a motor around the shop for a while and kept it just for curiosity. From what I heard from old timers that block was hard on rings as you can imagine. Not sure if they all had that. But hey, they were built by a refrigerator company....

I like the little Crosley wagon, weird in a weird sort of way. I have a 67 Volvo Amazon wagon now, so I am into weird.

Larry

Mac McQuinn
04-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Larry, thanks for the post. This one has a cast iron engine although does come with the metal item also. I'm somewhat familiar with the Amazon, pretty neat vehicle. As far as weird goes, give a Citroen 2CV a try if you get a chance. The driving experience is unforgetable.
Mac

Some Crosleys had a siamesed block, actually sheet metal riveted together. I had a motor around the shop for a while and kept it just for curiosity. From what I heard from old timers that block was hard on rings as you can imagine. Not sure if they all had that. But hey, they were built by a refrigerator company....

I like the little Crosley wagon, weird in a weird sort of way. I have a 67 Volvo Amazon wagon now, so I am into weird.

Larry

Rick Potter
04-22-2014, 1:31 AM
I believe the sheet metal motor on the early ones was an adaptation of an outboard motor. My dad had a '48 wagon (or panel) that he used for his photography business. I still remember him pulling the motor out by hand, and setting it on the work bench. I would have been maybe 10.

I went to a 'small car' or 'little car' show last year and it was really interesting. Messerschmitts, Issetas , and the like. They made the Metropolitan look big.

Jim Matthews
04-22-2014, 7:11 AM
I grew up in Cincinnati.

The CIBA engines will run.
The copper brazed engines are beautiful pieces of inoperable, improbable engineering.

These things will handle race tracks with tight turns well, but have a very limited hauling capacity.

If you've got your own endmill, you can fabricate the parts made of unobtanium.
If not... it's not a line of cars that's known well enough to have collectors propping up prices.

I'm not keen on anything that requires ever higher cash injections as it's residual value falls.

I'm with Larry, get yourself a couple of Volvo 122s - they're actually useful.
They're beautiful in a well-preserved dowager sort of way.

Mac McQuinn
04-22-2014, 4:33 PM
Jim,
As I do more research, it appears the CoBRA engine was used by the military for some sort of generator device and in this application they worked well due to the strict maintenance intervals and constant rpm. The car application was a different story though as it developed several maladies. I'm not sure if it would be a money hole or not, seems like a very simple design. I was hoping to apply engineering changes to enhance the driving aspect. Something which would be reversible. BTW, I grew up just down the road in Dayton.
Mac

I grew up in Cincinnati.

The CIBA engines will run.
The copper brazed engines are beautiful pieces of inoperable, improbable engineering.

These things will handle race tracks with tight turns well, but have a very limited hauling capacity.

If you've got your own endmill, you can fabricate the parts made of unobtanium.
If not... it's not a line of cars that's known well enough to have collectors propping up prices.

I'm not keen on anything that requires ever higher cash injections as it's residual value falls.

I'm with Larry, get yourself a couple of Volvo 122s - they're actually useful.
They're beautiful in a well-preserved dowager sort of way.

Larry Edgerton
04-22-2014, 5:31 PM
Hey Mac, One of those with a Hayabusa motor in there would be able to keep up with traffic.:D

Seriously, I would put a motorcycle engine in one of those. I just sold a GL500 Honda and that is a shaft drive 5 speed known to run 300,000 miles. Small, good on fuel, already has shaft drive and was available in a 650 turbo varient.

Original is overrated......

Larry

Mac McQuinn
04-22-2014, 11:36 PM
The Honda V-Twin certainly sounds viable especially considering the legendary reliability. Something to think about.
Mac

Hey Mac, One of those with a Hayabusa motor in there would be able to keep up with traffic.:D

Seriously, I would put a motorcycle engine in one of those. I just sold a GL500 Honda and that is a shaft drive 5 speed known to run 300,000 miles. Small, good on fuel, already has shaft drive and was available in a 650 turbo varient.

Original is overrated......

Larry

Jim Matthews
04-23-2014, 6:58 AM
When you're done with the transplant, you could paint the little Crosley RED!

Larry Edgerton
04-23-2014, 7:13 AM
The Honda V-Twin certainly sounds viable especially considering the legendary reliability. Something to think about.
Mac

They are easy to find that have been left outside and are rats cheap, but the motors are still good. I would look for a 650, a little more rare, but the increased torque would be good. How much does a Crosley weigh?

Larry

Mac McQuinn
04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Larry,
They were about 1155 Lbs in 1948 with the CoBRA engine, I'd take a guess of 1250 lbs with the cast iron CIBA engine. With the 650 Honda V-Twin, my guess would be closer to the CoBRA weight. The Honda's lack of a reverse gear would make things interesting though. Would be interesting. I'm waiting for a video from the owner.
Mac

They are easy to find that have been left outside and are rats cheap, but the motors are still good. I would look for a 650, a little more rare, but the increased torque would be good. How much does a Crosley weigh?

Larry

Mac McQuinn
04-28-2014, 9:00 PM
The seller sent me a video and after viewing I decided to pass.
Mac