PDA

View Full Version : Shear Sharpening

John Jackson
04-21-2014, 2:35 PM
I have a 12" shear for engraving metal that needs sharpening.

Price quotes from engraving suppliers in Toronto are about $75 for sharpening, plus shipping both ways (About $20 each way).

I have a local sharpening shop that does saw blades, router bits, and shears for things like the printing industry. They said they could do it no problem for $1 per inch (=$24) and there would be no shipping.

Is there anything magical about shear sharpening? I believe the places that are quoting me $75 are just sending it out.

I was told once that engraving shears have a change in angle over the length of the blade that makes them special. I was curious what others were doing about this.

Thanks,

John

Frank barry
04-21-2014, 3:14 PM
hi John
I just might know a bit about this as I have a sharpening business there is no magic to it but like most things it has to be right they need to be sharpen at the same angle as is on it and to be sure not to over heat it when sharpening why not ask Bruce @ brucessharpening he is a very good sharpener or have a chat with your local guy be sure he has a jig to hold it at the correct angel and Just be sure he doesn't just run it across a rough wheel cheers Frank

John Jackson
04-21-2014, 3:33 PM
Thanks!

The local sharpening shop does a good job on carbide router bits and saw blades and I see larger (i.e. 4-5-6 foot) knives lined up for pickup for the printers in town for their paper shears. All they do is sharpening and they have 4-5 employees.

I just got another quote for sharpening from another major engraving wholesaler - $422 plus shipping both ways plus taxes.

Frank barry
04-21-2014, 3:59 PM
wow I think I should move there
yep your local guy sound like he knows what he is at I am sure after a quick chat with him you will know cheers Frank

Bill Cunningham
04-21-2014, 11:13 PM
If your sharpening guy does paper shears/guillotines I'd be surprised if he has not done a metal shear at one time or another. If he runs a sharpening business, I would imagine he would gaurentee his work

John Jackson
04-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks - I think I will use him. Cheaper, faster turnaround, and I can talk with him face to face.

John Jackson
06-10-2014, 7:50 AM
I ended up getting the shears sharpened locally.

Cost me $28 plus tax, was able to drop off and pick up avoiding shipping costs and extra down time while in transit.

Plates now cut like butter and no nicks.