PDA

View Full Version : Thanks To Sawmill Members!

Wade Samuelson
06-24-2005, 2:38 PM
I registered here last fall and bothered all of you as to how to outfit and layout my tiny shop. I made a lot of sawdust before taking the winter off (no heat!) Well, I've started up again and have made a few VERY basic (complex to me!) shelves for my wife and have done a few minor repairs around my house.

I just wanted to pop in and express my thanks to this group. I got more help here than from people I know. Prior to my snap decision to buy some tools and give it a whirl, I had only used power tools in my one semester of woodshop back in high school. Seriously--I knew absolutely zero about tools and even less about how to use them.

But yesterday, I was working on a little shelf thingy with a table top on it for the covered patio and noticed the roof was still in need of repairs. I had looked at it last summer and wondered "How much will it cost me to get somebody to fix that?" Yesterday my thought was, "If it doesn't rain this weekend I think I'll fix that." *BAM* It hit me: I'm not afraid to try stuff!! And it is all because I got help here picking tools, designing and building a bench, and being convinced that jumping in and trying is the way to go!

Anyway, my craftsmanship is still amateur--visible screws are the trademark of my work!! BUT...my wife likes it and enjoy doing it. This whole venture was intended to be a stress relief and substitute for fishing. The idea was to get a hobby I could do at home and in shorter increments of time than 14 hours at a whack.

I'm thinking it may be time to get some clamps (I only own two) and I also am going to teach myself to make dovetail joints.

Anyway...thanks again for the help and encouragement! It has really been a blessing!

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 2:50 PM
Anyway, my craftsmanship is still amateur--visible screws are the trademark of my work!!If people notice the screw-heads rather than the screw-ups, you're already ahead of the game. :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-24-2005, 3:43 PM
Well......Congrats Wade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, we many times only learn something by venturing out into what we don't know and suddenly find that we have learned something new and improved our skills all at the same time. Don't let your fear of a project limit you on stepping out and giving it a try. We have to push ourselves sometimes in order for us to improve in our ww'ing skills. ;) :D

Mike Cutler
06-24-2005, 4:40 PM
Nice to hear things are working out for you and that your confidence is building.
Don't sweat the screwheads for now. To quote an instructor from way back " Woodscrews are cheap, disposable wood clamps, the trick is to learn to hide them"

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2005, 9:21 PM
It's always nice to teach yourself how to do something by just diving in....we do it regularly...:D:D:D

Bart Leetch
06-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Sounds like things are coming along famously.

Hmm visible screw heads could be a trademark of your craftsmanship. :D

And to think soneone said there is nothing new under the sun.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Go for it Wade! Often just looking at something and reading about it has allowed me to repair a lot of stuff around the house. I have a couple of books on basic carpentry. One is a college text book and between the two of them I have been able to reroof the house, etc. By the way......it's all of us as individuals grouped here as a whole that makes SMC....SMC....and thanks to you!

Frank Pellow
06-25-2005, 6:41 AM
It's good to hear from you again, Wade (and to see your fish again). And it's good to know that Saw Mill Creek members have helped you. I have certainly learned that I can always count on SMC help when I need woodworking advice.