PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
04-21-2014, 9:08 AM
21 April 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
Been really busy taking brick off my house to begin the construction of the garage and apartment for my MIL. Batter boards are up for the apartment but I've got to get the garage area marked off and batter boards up for that. The garage area is the first section to get built as the apartment T's off the back side of it and the existing house. I'm sore, tired, and my hands have blisters on top of blisters. All the brick on the end of the house is now off, siding on the gable end is off and house wrap is up to protect the house from the pending storms this week in our area. Went to church on Sunday and played bass guitar with our worship band and part of the string section of the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra. I really enjoyed playing with those musicians. They were most excellent in their skills.

Back to the daily grind for now and I'm hoping that everything will be a go for pouring the footings and slab for the garage next week. I hope.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dale Osowski
04-21-2014, 9:28 AM
I milled this Catalpa. Seven beautiful slabs, 13' x 42" butt end about 52" crotch, 3" thick.

Drew Pavlak
04-21-2014, 9:49 AM
Weekend was pretty productive for me, Got my Dust collector hung and wired up, and finished half of the cathedral ceiling drywall, only about 6 sheets left to do on the cathedral portion and then it is on to the flat ceiling. Starting to get it done! At last!

Andrew Pitonyak
04-21-2014, 10:35 AM
I got a good start on a shop cart that will fit under my Kapex. There are two arms that I can raise to act as support bars for long wood I am cutting on my Kapex. I suppose I can also use it as an outfeed support for my planner. I have one picture here before I added a coat a shellac (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?216799-Rotary-Tool-advice-Fix-buy-new-what-one).

I also managed to burn out my rotary tool so I am deciding between a Dremel 4000, Dremel 4200, and a Proxxon (http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38481-Professional-Rotary-Tool/dp/B001FWXEO6).

So many decisions.... I also have a tip that may allow me to fix my old rotary tool...

Jak Kelly
04-21-2014, 11:24 AM
We (as in me and the wife) recognized Good Friday as "Margarita Friday" at On The Border. Then took the wife by Woodcraft, picked out her coffee scoop and handle choice, she noted that my hobby's sure were expensive, as usual................................ I told her that "she" is also one of my hobby's, so at least I am consistent!!!!! One of the wives that was in the store made her exodus to the truck, they were they before we arrived, wonder how often that happens there?
Saturday me and the boy spent a little over 6 hours in the yard; raking, cleaning, bagging, removing a stump...........followed by a trip to The Brooke (and a few more draft beers)
Sunday was spent in the shop; turned an acrylic coffee scoop for the wife, and two bottle stoppers, one acrylic and one from blood wood.

Matt Berry
04-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Continued with the get the shop organized theme. I built a bunch of boxes from some scrap walnut, I managed to keep 3 for myself, the wife claimed the rest for herself. I added french cleats to the back of mine and to the side of the tablesaw underwing cabinet. Now I have a place to store my bench cookies, and drill bits. I trimmed out my outfeed table by adding a face frame. Finally I changed the 2 original round ceiling boxes to square boxes with an outlet, so now all my fluorescent T8 fixtures come on with the flick of a switch.

Scott Germaise
04-21-2014, 1:58 PM
Finished up some smaller raised bed garden frames for strawberries and green beans. No more squirrel / bird issues!

David Hostetler
04-21-2014, 4:27 PM
I spent Saturday working at my BILs shop finishing pulling the transmission on my truck, and pulled the pump only to find the O ring the tranny parts house sold me is the wrong size... So I had to wrap it up until I could get hte right one. Heading to Ford dealer today after work...

Spent very, very little time in the shop this weekend, although I did polish up a design / cutlist for a sheet goods / cutoff cart I have been wanting to build. Once the truck is back in service, I am going to pick up materials for that build and knock it out quick. I need the 31 gallon galvanized can I am using for a cutoff bin for a Thien top hat build I want to get done...

Working on a design for an in the flower pot trellis for some Jasmine my wife is trying to grow. Have it mostly done, going for a Pagoda sort of look. We are also looking for a suitable Maneki-Neko to place with the trellis to complete the scene... Haven't found one to tickle our fancy quite yet...

Shawn Pixley
04-21-2014, 9:50 PM
I had a procedure done on my neck on Friday. It seems to have helped a lot. I hadn't realized how much it hurt all the time.

I took it slow on Saturday, but used the time to do a detailed layout of my next project. This will be one with a degree of precison of a number of cuts. Sunday I flattened with my handplanes 14 square feet of hard birdseye maple. The resawed it, jointed it and glued it into panels.

We're installing solar on out house. They started the installation today. The roofer should boot the stanchions tomorrow with panels being mounted on Wednesday.