PDA

View Full Version : What is the next tool you will upgrade or buy?

Jeff Sudmeier
06-24-2005, 1:17 PM
Everyone,

I am sitting here in a good position. I think I have a sum of money coming in that would cover the cabinet saw I have been thinking of getting. That got me to thinking, what tool do I need, that my shop doesn't have, that I really need. Not want here, something I need to have in order to get the job done... The good part, I finally can't think of ANYTHING!! Hand planes would be nice, a scraper set would be nice. To upgrade my craftsman jobsite table saw or lunchbox planer would be nice, however currently they aren't limiting my work.

Anyway, long story short, I think I am going to upgrade my cabinet saw. I don't know how to handle this situation, ever other tool purchase to this point was to fill a need, a vacancy if you will :)

So what is your next tool purchase? Anything you NEED in the shop?

Mike Weaver
06-24-2005, 1:20 PM
I need to finish my DC before I can buy any more tools, so it would be the filters for my Bill Pentz cyclone.

After that, it's the rest of the hardware to finish my lumber rack.

THEN, I can think about what I need to get things done/made.

...add my latest jointer rehab to the list before thinking about any more tool acquisitions...

-Mike

John Renzetti
06-24-2005, 1:46 PM
Probably an open sided widebelt.
take care,
John

Scott Parks
06-24-2005, 1:55 PM
Short story long.... It's a toss up. Dust Collection, or Bandsaw. Either that, or get a QUALITY Cab saw. (Still having probs with the grizzly bear. Ready to send it back for good!)

Chris Padilla
06-24-2005, 2:13 PM
I think a Performax drum sander would be nice but I ain't buyin' nothin' 'til I get my darn shop/garage DONE! :)

I'm still not sure what to do for a Neander-ish type bench....

Jim Becker
06-24-2005, 2:31 PM
I think my tool buying activities from here on out will largely be for Neander type things. The major tools are pretty much in place at this point...which is a good thing considering DINK-hood goes away "real soon now"...

Wade Samuelson
06-24-2005, 2:40 PM
Ideally, I'd like my next acquisition to be another 1000 square feet of space!! If I got another tool now, I'd have no place to put it!

Jim O'Dell
06-24-2005, 2:44 PM
Like Chris, I've got to get the shop remodel done before I buy any more tools. LOML has put a big red Xon spending anymore on the shop for now. I still have a lot of electrical to finish, and some things I need to finish that (ie 220 v twist lock receptacles and plugs). Then I need to get filters for the DC and the piping, THEN I can start thinking about the next tool purchase, most likely a jointer. Jim.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-24-2005, 3:12 PM
This actually made me think for a few minutes. I have more than I need but that want list is still pretty long! But the NEXT purchase? Hmmmmmm...
Probably a router-lift to upgrade my routing capabilities. I bought the big PC router some time back planning to remodel the router table but it slid to the back burner and hasn't gotten touched since. Soon, real soon!

Tyler Howell
06-24-2005, 3:13 PM
Amazon just said it's on the way! Pictures to follow:D :D

Jeff Sudmeier
06-24-2005, 3:56 PM
This actually made me think for a few minutes. I have more than I need but that want list is still pretty long! But the NEXT purchase? Hmmmmmm...
Probably a router-lift to upgrade my routing capabilities. I bought the big PC router some time back planning to remodel the router table but it slid to the back burner and hasn't gotten touched since. Soon, real soon!
Mac,

That is exactly my problem! I can't think of a single thing that just jumps out and says, I have a need for this, yet I don't have the tools. I don't have a good workbench, but at this point I am not a hand tool user.

Ohh there it is, I Should invest in hand tools! I know I know guys, I'm just not ready to take that plunge yet :)

For now the leading canidate is a new Cabinet saw with 50 inch rip.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-24-2005, 4:01 PM
What's on its way? The suspense is killing us. ;)

Alan Turner
06-24-2005, 4:30 PM
Jeff
Probably a good cabinet saw is what you NEED so that you can tackle that which you really need, which is a proper bench, from which the slide to neanderland picks up much energy.

Dan Owen
06-24-2005, 4:34 PM
Actually, I'm supposed to be in tool acquisition mode recovery and to be quite honest, my sessions have been going quite well as of late. Don't tell anyone, but I had a serious relapse yesterday. I just dumped a load on Festool.

Christian Aufreiter
06-24-2005, 4:49 PM
There are lots of things I could use from time to time but I don't know if there's something I absolutely need. Stationary tools would be nice but too large so I might spend my money mainly on handtools, accessories and clamps. Maybe I'll also get a compressor and a nailer.

Regards,

Christian

Steve Cox
06-24-2005, 4:53 PM
I completed my last major acquisition a few weeks ago. A Ritter edge sander. Now, I am done. Some more or better hand tools eventually but all I need is in place now. What a weird feeling after all these years!

Mike Cutler
06-24-2005, 5:14 PM
It's not to hard to figure out which machine I'd like to upgrade, my jointer. It is holding me back some, but I can usually find a way around it.
I keep thinking that I should upgrade my Jet Contractor tablesaw, but it does everything I need it to do.
I recently upgraded the 14" Jet BS to an 18" Rikon BS, purchased a Performax 16-32, and bought a benchtop mortiser, so I'm good there. I hope.
Alas though, I promised LOML that there would be no more new machines until I actually produced a product for her, So for now the $$ goes into the area most needed, WOOD :D. I pretty much have the green light on wood purchases, as long as something comes into the house from the shop.
The one thing I'd like to have, but don't need is an HVLP system. The last large project I finished demonstrated to me that this facet of woodworking might need some research and attention paid to it.
For now though, I'm content. I just want to build furniture, and see a tangible result :p

Fred Voorhees
06-24-2005, 5:22 PM
I am seriously considering upgrading to the Dewalt planer. This could be coming this winter when I plan on replacing the top of the roughly thirty foot workbench along one side of my workshop. The new benchtop will have a recess built into it that will allow the new planer to sit down into the recess and will use the actual workbench surface as an infeed and outfeed table. That should make for at least ten foot infeed and outfeed surfaces.

John Hart
06-24-2005, 5:54 PM
I could use some turning stuff. Some fancy-schmancy jaws and specialized tools for hollowing and maybe some better sharpening wheels. But other than that...I am really in NEED of nothing.:)

Jason Solodow
06-24-2005, 6:08 PM
I think mine would be either a planer ( I don't have one at all right now) or a new lathe as I've pretty much outgrown my 1236. However, the LOML put a stop to all tool acquisitions. However, I'm trying to sneak a new Oneway Mastercut gouge and a new skew in without her knowing it, I'll let you know if it works, but I'm not holding my breath.

Vaughn McMillan
06-24-2005, 6:13 PM
I don't yet have a jointer or surface planer, but it'd a bit of a stretch to say I need them to complete any currently-planned projects. They would make certain things easier or perhaps less expensive, but that's not enough yet to justify the cost. I could also definitely use a real bandsaw in place of the $100 Lowe's cheapie I currently have. Like Mike Cutler, I need to start bringing a few fruits of my labor into the house so the LOML will stop rolling her eyes every time I mention a new tool I'd like.

- Vaughn

Rudy Fuselier
06-24-2005, 6:41 PM
I gotta tell you--- Listening to you guys talk about Festool is really making me think about the saw and the mft. I've already got most of the regular stuff, including a Uni all tricked out with the Incra fence and such. I just dont know if I can justify the festool equipment now, but it sure sounds like it would make short work of cutting up sheet goods.

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2005, 8:00 PM
Well I have recently upgraded some of my tools and bought some I never had but wanted. I have a good chop saw, new Delta Contractors Saw, Nice Craftsman Floor Drill Press and some good hand power tools.
Next on my list and very soon will be to upgrade my routers. I will be purchasing a PC 310, A Dewalt 618PK with plunge and fixed base and the 3 1/4 HP Hitachi for the router table. Also a new PC 4 1/2 Trim Saw. Possibly a new Dewalt or Bosch JIg Saw and a new Dewalt Drill Driver. I recently sold a collection of mine of some retired items and turned a handsome profit. Not any one large item but about 1,000. worth of good tools that I have never had! Then I will be pretty set other than building a new router table.
Corey

Norman Hitt
06-24-2005, 8:39 PM
The TOOL I need the Most right now?????????????? I think it would Have to BE..............a small Printing Press and the TWO ($100.00 USD) Plates for it, so I could Finish my Shop instead of just trying to support the whole Medical Community. :D :D Of course, there's also a couple of new sanders, a new air compressor, DC filters.......................... ;)

Adam Howard
06-24-2005, 8:46 PM
Drum sander. Definitely.

As I do more production type work and as much as I deal with highly figured timbers, it's quickly becoming a need.

I finished up some cutting boards recently, and needed to save sanding time. My friend Jerry at Woodcraft let me come to the shop and use their Performax drum sander. I'm in love. (with the sander)

It was so fast, and did a great job. Really saved me some time. I can think of a hundred time-saving uses.

It will be mine within a month or two. Now where to put it.....:rolleyes:

After that, more turning stuff, some GOOD hand planes, a new miter gauge.

The real NEED is some more shop space.

Robby Phelps
06-24-2005, 10:28 PM
For me it would have to be one of those really nice Mini Max 20" band saws. Next would have to be a bigger jointer. Of course there is also... i'd better stop:o

Hunter Wallace
06-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, I've been talking to a sales rep at Felder and am seriously thinking
about getting the AD 741 16" jointer/planer combination machine. I have
a 15" planer, but I'm always finding it inconvenient jointing 12-14" boards
on an 8" planer. It'll be around 5k, but being a single machine it not only
will make jointing easier (probably with better results) but take up a fraction
of the space in my shop of two dedicated machines. So, unless someone
on here wants to talk me out of it, I think I'll be getting one before the
end of the year!!:)

Per Swenson
06-24-2005, 11:18 PM
I need a new shaper. I would like to have a mini max T-50N.

I will most likely end up with some thing like this, (that auction site number)
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#d6dcfe"><td width="100%">
</td><td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> Item number: 7526313343</td><td align="right">http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif</td></tr></tbody> </table>
I await my weekly e-mails from IRS auctions looking for that once in

a life time bargain. Amazing prices. But for once it is not the money

but the lack of space. Soon though, we will have a large profitable shop.

At least I keep telling myself this.

Gee, maybe Dev Emch has a hunk of old shaping iron that intrigues him

no more.

My father Bob will never read this, but I wouldn't mind buying

him Bill Grumbines Mini Max copy lathe. ( see classifieds)

Per

Larry Norton
06-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Cory, I love my PC Trim Saw. I even recently did something I said I would never do. I got a Forest blade for it. It was $54, but after using it, it's just a little better than the $10 plywood blade that I had on it. :)

I paid $179 for the saw a few years ago, immediately after I bought mine, the price went up to $219. I could have gotten a 7-1/4in. circular saw for half as much, but I'm very happy with the worm drive.

I think my next tool will be the soon to be introduced Bosch Palm Router. It's like a laminate trimmer with some additional features that I can't remember now. The EVS version is supposed to sell for about $129.

Nick Mitchell
06-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Hunter, you'll be very happy with that machine. Congrats and definitely go for it.That's a very good price for that machine too.

I need a shaper so it's either the Format4 Profil45 or the Martin T26duo. Still haven't made up my mind on which one yet. I looked seriously at the Hofman Vision but without a North American distributor it's just too risky.
I also need an edgebander, Holzher 1310.

Michael Gibbons
06-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Next major purchase(s) will be.............a Delta 10" radial arm saw. Then my workbench. I have projects for the RAS lined up.

Bill Fields
06-25-2005, 12:48 AM
I spend more time and money by far "upgrading" my tools and shop than I do making/building something.

There is a name for this, but I'm not sure I want to hear it.

BILL FIELDS

Christian Aufreiter
06-25-2005, 5:47 AM
Hunter, you'll be very happy with that machine. Congrats and definitely go for it.That's a very good price for that machine too.

I need a shaper so it's either the Format4 Profil45 or the Martin T26duo. Still haven't made up my mind on which one yet. I looked seriously at the Hofman Vision but without a North American distributor it's just too risky.
I also need an edgebander, Holzher 1310.

Hey, Nick. I realize that you have lot's of excellent professional-grade machinery. How about posting pics of your shop?
I'll definitely be envious but nevertheless I'd enjoy it.

Regards,

Christian

Jimmy Walker
06-25-2005, 8:58 AM
A nice shiny 17in drill press is GOING to be my next major tool purchase. My old 8in Craftsman has been a good one, but it's about wore out and besides I just want a new one:D What better reason is there to get a new tool??? :D

Ian Abraham
06-25-2005, 9:50 AM
Can I put this on my wish list ;)

This is me trying out new fully automatic portable sawmill :D

Well it is a woodworking machine, and it's well up on my list..

Ian

Nick Mitchell
06-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Christian, my shop will be much prettier in a couple of months, I'll post pics somewhere then.

John Dingman
06-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Everyone,

I am sitting here in a good position. I think I have a sum of money coming in that would cover the cabinet saw I have been thinking of getting. That got me to thinking, what tool do I need, that my shop doesn't have, that I really need. Not want here, something I need to have in order to get the job done... The good part, I finally can't think of ANYTHING!! Hand planes would be nice, a scraper set would be nice. To upgrade my craftsman jobsite table saw or lunchbox planer would be nice, however currently they aren't limiting my work.

Anyway, long story short, I think I am going to upgrade my cabinet saw. I don't know how to handle this situation, ever other tool purchase to this point was to fill a need, a vacancy if you will :)

So what is your next tool purchase? Anything you NEED in the shop?Another vote for the Cabinet Saw! Most of the work starts there. When I got back into WW'ing after a brief 25 year layoff, the advice I received was to buy the best Cabinet Saw I could afford, and build my shop around it. That is what I have attemped to do and it has worked out well for me. No regrets that is. Best of luck to you!

John

Kurt Voss
06-25-2005, 3:28 PM
Everyone,

... what tool do I need, that my shop doesn't have, that I really need. Not want here, something I need to have in order to get the job done... The good part, I finally can't think of ANYTHING!! ...

For me that would mean it's time for a new money pit, er hobby :D Much like large beauracracies, with a spousal comptroller, one has to spend this year's budget to qualify for any funds the next year ;)

Mike Tempel
06-26-2005, 7:49 AM
While I would like to have a cabinet saw to replace my C'man contractors saw I just can't justify it as my current TS is not a limiting factor in my shop. I did just order a DeWalt 18V cordless set that includes a drill, circ saw, recip saw, and flashlight. Got it thru Amazon reconditioned for $335. Not bad in my opinion since the drill and circ saw would have cost somewhere around $300 new without the recip or the light (of which I don' have a particular need for but it was there). I spend a lot of money on tools that I hope to use someday but still haven't as my shop time is extremely limited due to time constraints (and Texas heat) but since this is my hobby it is what I can justify spending my money on. Gave up a couple of other hobbies for this so my wife can't complain about me spending money on golf, fishing, hunting, and WWing - now I just WW and she gets the benefits of custom made pieces and that of keeping me at home - doing what I like to do. Not a bad trade off IMO.

John Lucas
06-26-2005, 8:07 AM
Absolutely nothing. I could use a lot more space to house the stuff I have and to work on wood. Norm/Russell's space would do nicely.

Erik Larson
06-26-2005, 4:05 PM
Next tool? Probably a Veritas jointer fence to make edge jointing less frustrating.

Erik

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p3001s1.jpg

Don Slaughter
06-26-2005, 8:59 PM
my little delta 4"belt/6"disc sander just recently died and I'm really starting to realize how useful it was. Gotta get something to replace it....The only one I've seen is the ryobi for $99 but I don't trust ryobi yet, although the delta barely lasted 2 years (if that long). Might oughta look for a better one. Anyone got any ideas??
Thanks,
Don

lou sansone
06-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Probably an open sided widebelt.
take care,
John

hi john ... I haven't heard any thing good about open sided widebelts. Most of it has been along the line of " wish I hadn't dont that" just my .02$ worth.
Best wishes
lou

Jeff Sudmeier
06-27-2005, 8:25 AM
For me that would mean it's time for a new money pit, er hobby :D Much like large beauracracies, with a spousal comptroller, one has to spend this year's budget to qualify for any funds the next year ;)

Ohh don't worry, I have spent and re-spent my shop budget this year! I just have another set of unexpected cash coming in... :)

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 9:18 AM
For me that would mean it's time for a new money pit, er hobby

Do kids count for that??? :D

Scott Coffelt
06-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Well if the shop and house project ever gets going, then I plan on buying a new 8" jointer. If the we come to an impass, then I will stay where I am at so the jointer will be too big for my shop and will buy some more Festool stuff, likely the DS400.

Bart Leetch
06-27-2005, 12:02 PM
A 48 hour day & a 14 day week & the health & energy to enjoy it. :D

Heck I don't have the time to use the tools I have now. :eek:

Frank Pellow
06-27-2005, 1:08 PM
Either a router table or a "real" woodworking bench. In both cases, I have Veritas in mind.

But not this year. :( My 2005 (and maybe even 2006) tool budget has been blown.

Rob Russell
06-27-2005, 4:45 PM
My next significant tool purchase would likely be a sander of some sort, probably one of the open-end wide belts.

Keith Hooks
06-27-2005, 5:03 PM
Once I have shop space again, I'm going to buy a 16" bandsaw. I also plan on building a new workbench and upgrading my router table with new top and fence.

Jay Kilpatrick
06-28-2005, 9:04 AM
Do kids count for that??? :D (ie. Money Pits)

Jim,
They're not so much a pit... pits usually have bottoms and ways to get out. But I've found that instead of wanting to climb out, you'd rather just walow at the bottom. If you can't seem to get down that far, I'll send my 4 year old to tackle you... he's at that "perfect height". ;)

Jim Becker
06-28-2005, 9:16 AM
They're not so much a pit... pits usually have bottoms and ways to get out. But I've found that instead of wanting to climb out, you'd rather just walow at the bottom. If you can't seem to get down that far, I'll send my 4 year old to tackle you... he's at that "perfect height".

LOL! The younger girl, while almost 6, is probably about the same size as your four year old, so I think we have that job covered!! :)

But you know...I'd be able to live with not buying new tools for a long time if it were required to accomplish this family building project. Fortunately...it's not necessary to worry about that, thanks to Dr. SWMBO's grandmother, who sadly passed away in April at the age of nearly 98. She still lived independently in her own appartment in Knoxville until only a few weeks before she died and that sets a good example for all of us. And her legacy is a blessing that will live in these children well beyond our own lives.

Aaron Montgomery
06-28-2005, 1:20 PM
My next major tool purchase will be some sort of drum sander - maybe a 22-44 or General or Woodmaster.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-28-2005, 2:09 PM
Well guys I have come to the decision that the next tool purchase will be delayed. I have better uses for the money along the same lines as my SUPER SECRET projects.

Thanks for all of the responses, they were interesting to see peoples priorities.

Michael Pfau
06-28-2005, 7:51 PM
Incra 3000 miter guage, Delta Drum sander, and continnue to add to my Lie-Nielson plane collection! More room would be nice.

lou sansone
06-29-2005, 10:33 AM
maybe an oliver 88 ...

or a tilting spindle shaper

it has to weigh at least 2000 lbs for me to get excited anymore :o
lou

Jerry Crawford
06-29-2005, 1:19 PM
I'm going to take a real hard look at a Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I really don't "NEED" one but when has need ever come into play when a nice shiney tool catches your attention. Just looking at one engenders multiple ways you can use it. I've used my step son's saw and really like the way it squares up the end of a piece. Besides, at my age I'm tooling up for the afterlife :p

Don Baer
06-29-2005, 1:26 PM
Hand tools I will probubly get a good set of chisels.
Power tools definitly a band saw.