PDA

View Full Version : Punky hickory

Rob Miller
04-20-2014, 10:32 PM
This is an example of the hickory I obtained -- not common here in Arizona. It is also the origin of the questions I posted early about using clear epoxy as a hardening agent. As you can see, I'm getting some pretty severe tear-out but the wood is quite beautiful. I think I'll try the white glue and water method on this one and see how it does. Seems the least expensive option. I rough turned this bowl today. It's around 7-8" across.

If using the white glue method, should I dry it first or after the glue hardens?

Rob Miller
04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
No comments? After treating with 50/50 white glue and water, should I permit it to dry in the open air or is it better to bag it?

Thanks!
Rob

Bob Bergstrom
04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
The 50/50 glue won't dry if in a plastic bag. The glue is a sealer itself, but you could set it inside a paper bag. I wouldn't push the bag against the bowl, but leave some space. You want the glue to be absorbed into the wood, not pulled back into the paper.

Rob Miller
04-23-2014, 12:13 AM
The 50/50 glue won't dry if in a plastic bag. The glue is a sealer itself, but you could set it inside a paper bag. I wouldn't push the bag against the bowl, but leave some space. You want the glue to be absorbed into the wood, not pulled back into the paper.

I sort of took the middle road with that -- it's presently in a plastic bag but wide open to allow air to circulate. I didn't want it to mold.

Rob Miller
04-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Since it went in green and rough-turned, I'm thinking the proper course of action after the glue dries is to return the piece to a paper bag for a couple of months and let it dry completely before finish turning. Any thoughts on this?

Steve Bistritz
04-23-2014, 8:45 AM
the glue method should work....or I use Zizzner's spray shellac while still in the chuck, give it a few minutes to dry, hard as a rock.

Rob Miller
04-23-2014, 3:23 PM
UPDATE: I soaked the piece for 24 hours and removed it from the solution. The cracks had closed up a little due to swelling, but not completely, and they opened back up as the glue dried. The fibers did stiffen up but I don't think there was very good penetration, as I can see white wood inside the crack. It looks like I probably got about 1/8" of penetration -- not enough to really do a good finish turning, although it may have gone deeper in the punky areas. I think I'll just bag it until it's dry, turn it back past the absorption and treat it with thinned epoxy before finishing it out.

Bill Hunt
04-24-2014, 11:21 AM
The best use of punky hickory is to smoke a brisket or something!!!

Rob Miller
04-24-2014, 12:51 PM
The best use of punky hickory is to smoke a brisket or something!!!

Hmm. That doesn't sound half bad...

robert baccus
04-25-2014, 12:47 AM
Tell us about the failed epoxy.. Did you soak it in a bag overnite--did you thin it down to easy dripping off the stir stick. Let us all learn here.

Rob Miller
04-25-2014, 1:27 AM
Tell us about the failed epoxy.. Did you soak it in a bag overnite--did you thin it down to easy dripping off the stir stick. Let us all learn here.

No, I haven't tried epoxy yet. I soaked it for 24 hours in a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. It's stiffened the fibers but I don't think the penetration was all that great -- maybe 1/8". I'm going to dry it and turn it and see what I get. I wouldn't say it was a failure. If the object was to stiffen the fibers, it was a success. It just didn't really do anything as far as filling voids as the solution was too thin.

Dick Strauss
04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
If you really want to save it and have access to vacuum equipment (possibly via a friend), you might want to try using a vacuum chamber to encourage the glue/water mix to penetrate a little deeper. You might also need to thin the mix more for better penetration using a vacuum.

Rob Miller
04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
If you really want to save it and have access to vacuum equipment (possibly via a friend), you might want to try using a vacuum chamber to encourage the glue/water mix to penetrate a little deeper. You might also need to thin the mix more for better penetration using a vacuum.

I've tossed it back into the glue. Will update after I've removed it, dried it and turned it some more. The saga goes on.