PDA

View Full Version : Lighter Weight Steamer Trunk

Mark Weiers
04-20-2014, 8:34 PM
I am planning to build a steamer trunk for my daughter. She is going to college next year. I have built 2 trunks already and I have a good plan, but the trunks are pretty heavy at 40-45 pounds. The first two I made out of red oak. I would like to build a trunk that doesn't weigh so much.

What options do I have to make a trunk that weighs less? Different type wood? I suppose pine would be an option. A few dings would be acceptable, but would it hold up to moving around? In a college environment, the trunk gets used for storage of stuff and also as a chair or table.

I attached a picture of the trunk. (It's from a Rockler Plan.) Here is a link (http://assets.rockler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/720x720/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8/9/89004-01-1000.jpg)to it.

Any insights would be appreciated.:)

Bert Kemp
04-21-2014, 4:57 PM
Cedar is pretty light. Don't know how it would stand up to abuse but hey it smells good too

Mark Weiers
04-22-2014, 8:39 PM
Thanks Bert. Cedar is very light and aromatic. I lined the inside of the other trunks with cedar. My only experience with it is in siding on a house and those pieces split easily, but they were thin. I'm wondering if the maybe a floor finish over a softer wood would help.

Mike Cutler
04-23-2014, 5:46 PM
I am planning to build a steamer trunk for my daughter. She is going to college next year. I have built 2 trunks already and I have a good plan, but the trunks are pretty heavy at 40-45 pounds. The first two I made out of red oak. I would like to build a trunk that doesn't weigh so much.

What options do I have to make a trunk that weighs less? Different type wood? I suppose pine would be an option. A few dings would be acceptable, but would it hold up to moving around? In a college environment, the trunk gets used for storage of stuff and also as a chair or table.

I attached a picture of the trunk. (It's from a Rockler Plan.) Here is a link (http://assets.rockler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/720x720/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8/9/89004-01-1000.jpg)to it.

Any insights would be appreciated.:)

Sitka Spruce plywood. Very strong, very light. Put a 1/2oz layer of S-glass over it and it should last a lifetime.

Sitka spruce nose cones were at one time used on a retired class of ICBM's. They were nose cone section, the very tip of a missile. It's pretty strong stuff.

Ellen Benkin
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
I have no suggestions regarding wood, but I would (no pun intended) make it with a flat top so she can use it as a table. You never have too much horizontal space!

Joe Hillmann
04-24-2014, 11:33 AM
I have no suggestions regarding wood, but I would (no pun intended) make it with a flat top so she can use it as a table. You never have too much horizontal space!

I think trunks like that were made with round tops specifically so things don't get stacked on top of them.

Jim Finn
04-24-2014, 12:49 PM
I have made a number of small trunks (24" x16" x 16"). I made them of 1/2" thick eastern red cedar. Poly or lacquer finish. Quite light but not what I would call rugged.

Mark Weiers
04-24-2014, 9:00 PM
The picture I posted doesn't show the top very well, but it is only a very slight curve, so you can use it like it's flat.

Justin Ludwig
04-24-2014, 9:10 PM
Alder/Knotty Alder is very light. It's a bit more durable (but not by much) than pine and cedar. It's cheap too. It's a beautiful cinnamon color if clear coated and takes darker stains very well.

Mark Weiers
04-27-2014, 1:03 PM
I had never heard of sitka spruce. Interesting how it was used on the missiles. I never would have guessed that wood would be part of a missile!

Mark Weiers
04-27-2014, 1:07 PM
One of the conclusions, I have some to is that I need to go to a more traditional lumber yard to get wood for this project. The big-box stores only have a limited number of choices.

Mel Fulks
04-27-2014, 1:24 PM
I think something obvious ...is being missed. Before moulded plastic almost all trunks and suit cases were made of thin wood. The strength came from the canvas or leather covering. Any thing depending on thicker wood for strength is definitely going to need the flat top , because it will be too heavy to serve as anything but a table.

Halgeir Wold
04-27-2014, 1:37 PM
Would't any type of plywood do as sides, lid, etc... since there is an outer framework that sohehow will hide joints, it should be acceptable....

As for the spruce nose tips,..... I'd like to see a link to prove that..... :-)
I've been working around and with scientific sounding rockets for close to 40 years now, and have among others things personally made temperarature measurements on nose tips, side bar antennas, etc- etc. Most of the outer skin casings are made from aluminium these days, but the nose tips are steel.
5-600 deg's C is not uncommon at that point.....

Bill ThompsonNM
04-27-2014, 2:01 PM
Would't any type of plywood do as sides, lid, etc... since there is an outer framework that sohehow will hide joints, it should be acceptable....

As for the spruce nose tips,..... I'd like to see a link to prove that..... :-)
I've been working around and with scientific sounding rockets for close to 40 years now, and have among others things personally made temperarature measurements on nose tips, side bar antennas, etc- etc. Most of the outer skin casings are made from aluminium these days, but the nose tips are steel.
5-600 deg's C is not uncommon at that point.....

It was news to me but 90 seconds and google (see page 17-12 top right):

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/space/primer/us_missile_systems.pdf

Sometimes people underestimate the quality of materials produced by Mother Nature.

Halgeir Wold
04-27-2014, 2:40 PM
Hm.. intersting read.... and you're right - material properties can be a really interesting topic...
BTW - the old Nike Hercules missile had filler blocks of balsa in the 4-section 1st stage booster... :-)
I have a box of those spacers around, if the need for balsa should occur.....

Halgeir Wold
04-27-2014, 4:15 PM
Flying objects aside - what about the trunk suggestions??
and just for the record - they're callled 'America trunks' over in this corner----:)

Jim Finn
04-27-2014, 6:07 PM
Does not have to be flat topped to be strong. I made this one strong enough to sit on.

Jim Matthews
04-27-2014, 6:32 PM
Thin ply, reinforced corners and inlet wheels.
These are designed to move, rather than as keepsakes.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/1828-trunk-with-full-tray-size-31-x-17-x-15-25/224288404.html?listingId=220287497&scid=pla_google_stores123&adid=18172&gclid=CNOdyvbbgb4CFWVp7AodSHcAKg

Mark Weiers
04-27-2014, 11:08 PM
beautiful trunk! is it cedar? I'm not worried about the curve on the top. I'm more concerned about dings in soft wood.

Jim Finn
04-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Yes it is Eastern Red Cedar. (aromatic) 24" long. I often make this trunk with a light weight curved top that would collapse if sat on but this one is for a "Cowboy" to use so I made it a little more robust.

Mark Weiers
05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I like the idea of wheels. Very practical.

Cody Colston
05-04-2014, 1:43 PM
Check out the strength vs weight of various thickness of ERC and something like Ash which has superior bending qualities. It might be that the thinnest Ash required would be lighter than the thinnest ERC. I don't know that to be a fact but it's worth a look.

Mac McQuinn
05-04-2014, 3:38 PM
I'm sitting on a batch of vintage Sitka Spruce and while It's very strong for it's weight, I'm not sure it would be durable enough for a trunk on it's own. I would op for putting a paint saturated canvas over the wood you use along with corner guards. This would give you a excellent, durable outer layer. If you go to ply, I would make sure it's Formaldehyde free ply.
BTW, I'm understand a major automotive manufacturer used Sitka Spruce for construction of a large wind tunnel for testing back in the day.
Good luck,
Mac

Gary Salisbury
05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines for my grandson when he goes off to college in three years however, I was thinking about building an ATA case so it would stand up to rough abuse. Sure, it's not as pretty as the fine wooden steamer trunk you posted a picture of but it is much more durable and practical.

I was trying to develop a design where units could stack and become a dresser with drawers and one of the top drawers would become a pull out desk to study on or the lid becomes a table he could use. I also have a plan for a kitchen unit that has a microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, sound system, etc. I have built several ATA cases for other purposes and found them to be the most practical build I have ever done.

As Jim Mathews said, "Thin ply, reinforced corners and inlet wheels. These are designed to move, rather than as keepsakes." That's an ATA case! And you can use any color PVC laminate you want. How about the school colors?

Go to http://www.diyroadcases.com/ for more info on how to build or contact me at gds46@gmail.com.

Gary in Sunny San Diego

Mark Weiers
05-10-2014, 3:09 PM
I like the inlet wheel idea. That makes it more portable. I think I would put the wheels on the bottom of the trunk.