PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Super Jig Help

Douglas Williams
04-20-2014, 5:10 PM
I'm just trying out my new super jig and I'm having problems with the bit slipping. I have the bit set to right depth and the joints are tight but by the time I finish routing the four sides, the bit has slipped about a 1/16th. I'm using a PC 693 router with the 14 degree leigh 8mm bit with the collet adapter. I've tightened the collet as far as it will go and it will not hold the depth. Are others having problems with the Leigh bits and collet adapter.

Any thoughts?

Jesse Busenitz
04-20-2014, 5:18 PM
Is your base tight? Just a thought... it may be somewhere else besides your collet...

Douglas Williams
04-20-2014, 5:26 PM
The base is tight and the bit has marks on the shaft like it is moving in the collet.

jim sauterer
04-20-2014, 5:46 PM
i just purchased new collet for my pc 690 same problem on router table bit came through the board .I had it set for 3/8 and it came through 3/4 stock.little scary.

Tom M King
04-20-2014, 7:23 PM
I'm not exactly sure what happens, but collets do wear out to the point that it won't hold a bit securely.

Andrew Kertesz
04-20-2014, 7:54 PM
I would contact wherever you got the collet from. I bought 2 collets from Lee Valley for Leigh bits and the collets would not fit the bits. The 6 mm shank and the 8 mm shank bits were bigger than the collet. I bought one from Leigh and have not had a problem.

Randy Rizzo
04-20-2014, 8:06 PM
Had the same thing happen. Using an 8MM adapter in a 1/2" collet. Got an 8MM collet for my Bosch and problem solved. When I was experiencing the slippage I was making sure the adapter nor bit were bottomed out in the collet and I was really cranking on it to tighten, slipped anyway. Maybe some guys can get the adapter to work, I couldn't. But, like I said the regular 8MM collet fixed it.