PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood flooring expansion gap at fireplace insert

Mike Conley
04-20-2014, 1:28 PM
Hopefully someone on this forum has experience laying hardwood. I am planning to replace the carpet in our home with hardwood. On the longest, straight outside wall where I will start laying the hardwood, there is a gas metal fireplace insert. There is no hearth.

What do I do about an expansion joint between the hardwood and the fireplace insert? How do I cover the expansion joint?

Jason Roehl
04-20-2014, 7:17 PM
I'd undercut both the mantle and the marble so the floor can go under those, then leave a 3/8" gap or so in front of the insert, covered by a piece of base shoe laid flat, screen molding, or a transition strip, which would either be painted to match the mantle, or finished to match the floor. The strip would need to be nailed as close to the insert as possible, allowing the floor to move in and out underneath it.

Mike Conley
04-22-2014, 7:17 AM
I'd undercut both the mantle and the marble so the floor can go under those, then leave a 3/8" gap or so in front of the insert, covered by a piece of base shoe laid flat, screen molding, or a transition strip, which would either be painted to match the mantle, or finished to match the floor. The strip would need to be nailed as close to the insert as possible, allowing the floor to move in and out underneath it.

Thank you!

Jamie Buxton
04-22-2014, 10:34 AM

How would you undercut the marble? My usual jamb saw -- a hand pull-saw laid flat on a piece of flooring -- wouldn't do it.

Chuck Wintle
04-22-2014, 4:32 PM
what if you used a bead of caulking between the wood and the marble?

Jason Roehl
04-22-2014, 4:55 PM
How would you undercut the marble? My usual jamb saw -- a hand pull-saw laid flat on a piece of flooring -- wouldn't do it.

Angle grinder with a diamond blade, or an oscillating tool with a masonry blade. Next week, I'm laying a pre-finished floor that will require me to undercut a hearth that has cultured stone attach to it, so I'll have to figure something out that gets the job done with a minimum of mess. At least the homeowners will be out of town!