PDA

View Full Version : Norm's clamp cart

John Conklin
04-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Finished my clamp cart from plans by Norm Abrams yesterday. It uncluttered the shop significantly, made the clamps easier to use and may have broken the old saying that you always need more. :eek:

Jim Andrew
04-20-2014, 12:59 PM
That is very nice. I built a cart similar to the picture Rockler has in their catalog with the angle irons you can buy at a lumber yard, lots of holes. Built mine a little bigger so it would hold a few more clamps. It is full without any pipe clamps, they are the step sisters now.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2014, 1:19 PM
Nicely done John!

I have the plans for that cart and it's on my "to do" list.

Mike Cozad
04-20-2014, 8:00 PM
That's very nice. I have putting off building one because I haven't seen a plan I really liked. You're version is one of the best I've seen for my clamp collection. I will have to do a search for those plans.

John Piwaron
04-20-2014, 8:57 PM
:) You *will* need more. The problem is that there never seems to be enough of the right kind of clamp for the task at hand.

That's a nice clamp rack. Congrats!

John Conklin
04-21-2014, 7:29 PM
Thanks all. It turned out fine except I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing and turned the "A frames" out and now the pocket holes shows. Might patch 'em, might let 'em... it is only a clamp rack. I was really surprised how much tidier the shop is just from this, and how heavy it is to move. That's one recommendation I'd make to anyone making one, don't skimp on the casters.

Bruce Wrenn
04-21-2014, 9:58 PM
Built one for my shop, and several for friends. Dadoed the base for the "A's" The dado was only about 1/16" deep. Rounded the corners on the base. In my shop, clamp cart is the most costly real estate per square foot. Need to build myself a second cart for the rest of the clamps