PDA

View Full Version : Box needed a bottom made

steven c newman
04-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Well, about got the Full Blind Dovetails about fitted up, so why not build a bottom for this box? had a Pine scrap almost the right size. trimmed it down to what I thought was square ( My luck, it wasn't) and ran the #78 around the edges. Some of the 1/4" by1/4" grooves in the sides needed to be cut a hair deeper, so the old plough was set up287704, and decided to run a smoother around on the faces of the pine panel287705as for those rebates287706Man, the glare of that smooth pine is worse than off the top of my head.:eek: Anyway, thought panel was ready for the test fit.....287707A wee bit wide, and a bit out of square, GRRR! :mad: Ok, drag out the homemade shooting board! 287708and the Sargent #414c. Laid one edge against the stop. Shot the end grain, rotate towards that freshly shot side, and repeat until all four edges were done. This also made those rebates a bit off, so a recutting of them was done. Checked everything for square, again. Seems there is a big old knot causing a few problems. The Wards 78 shaved what I could off of it. Time to clamp up a dry fit287709 I was paid to be home last night,:p due to a lack of work at work. Since I am used to working at night, might as well stay up and putter around a bit. At this rate, I might, just might have the lid FITTED by........June?:D

steven c newman
04-21-2014, 4:05 PM
Lets see, galoot points for:
Plough plane work, instead of a corded router ( no more broken skinny bits)
Pine cut to length with a Disston crosscut saw, instead of the Craftsman 7-1/4" all metal Cirular saw
A WWII Stanley made for WARDS #3, to smooth the board,
A Homemade shooting board
a Sargent #414c as a shooting plane, and to work over that big knot
Couple of chisels to clean up grooves and such.

Had to use non-powered tools, since the rest of the house was asleep. Other than some loud cussing going on, it was peaceful.....

Oh yeah, a Cordovan Stanley 9-1/2 to trim the edges a bit on the rebates....that were made with the Stanley made for Wards #78.....