PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Tool advice. Fix, buy new, what one?

Andrew Pitonyak
04-19-2014, 9:00 PM
I am building a cabinet that fits under my Festool Kapex. This cabinet / cart is a modification of the Woodsmith Shop roll-around-shop-cart. I like that I can raise the support arms on the side to support wood that I am cutting say on my Kapex. And, when I am finished, it will have some drawers to store stuff.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/509/roll-around-shop-cart.pdf

I was cutting some bolts to size using my Master Mechanic Model 375 Type 3, Purchased at True Value Hardware in the early 90's while I was in college.

The motor works fine, but, but it will no longer spin any tool. I took it apart, and it turns out that the motor has a plastic gear that fits into a plastic fitting, and I stripped it out. If I could find a replacement plastic part, I could fix this thing and be on my way.

I was not able to find the replacement parts. Part of me would be just as happy to replace this with something that allows me to purchase some extra attachments. For example, I can purchase the Dremel 4000-6/50 kit for about $140.

If I replace this, I was considering purchasing a 4200-8/64, the 77 piece version that comes with a really nice case for just under $200

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4200-6-40-Performance-47-Piece/dp/B008N96Z22

For $140, I can get the 4000-6/50 for $140

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4000-6-50-120-Volt-Variable-Speed/dp/B002L3RUW0

Thoughts? Advice?

Cary Falk
04-19-2014, 9:39 PM
I had an old Dremmel that is about 8 years old. I found the 4200 kit that you linked to with the quick release on the clearance rack at Home Depot around Christmas for $60 so I jumped on it. I must say quick release is a joy to use over the old system. Dremel has good customer service also. I let the smoke out of my old one and Dremel fixed it for free under the 5 year warranty. I know a lot of people bad mouth Dremel, but there are a lot of jobs that it excels at.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-20-2014, 1:04 AM
Nice to hear that you like the new quick change system on the 4200.... Do you know off hand if you can get the different size collets for the 4200. For example, the Dremel web site lists four collets:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=9433

I believe that this comes with the 1/8" collet. To be fair, I don't really know if I need other collet sizes since I currently have only one on my old broken unit.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-20-2014, 1:20 AM
At work, I just took a 4200 back to the orange BORG because I couldn't find the collets anywhere and I need smaller sizes.
I then bought a Proxxon rotary tool, my second. The first replaced the long line of 4 Dremel tools I've burned out over the years. The Proxxon is much better built, or should I say, built like the original Dremel tools.
I've had it for 4 years now and it's been great ! The Proxxon comes with a full set of collets.

Cary Falk
04-20-2014, 9:45 AM
I don't know if you can use different size collets.

Jim Finn
04-20-2014, 10:42 AM
I have had Dremel tools (In fact I have worked in their plant) but much prefer Black and Decker Rotary tool ($28) available at Amazon. It is a three speed tool and I use it on the slow speed.
Slow speed on a Dremel looses a lot of power so I have to tun it to a higher speed than I really want. All Dremel bits fit the B&D including the Dremel drill press accessory. I also have a Mastercarver rotary tool which is a bit more money but a very nice tool. Just my experiance.

ken masoumi
04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
If my old Dremel ever dies I will treat myself to a Foredom Flex shaft tool,I have seen it in action and that little machine worked ever so smoothly,lots of power,very well made.
http://www.foredom.net/FlexShaftSets-SRMotors.aspx

http://www.foredom.net/

Andrew Pitonyak
04-20-2014, 5:36 PM
I took a long look at the Foredom, and it is very enticing. My biggest concern with it is just that I frequently carry the rotary tool away from shop. For work on a bathtub fixture in the bathtub, for example.

The Proxxon 38481 Professional Rotary Tool IBS/E looks interesting.

One nice thing about the Dremel is that it has a 5 year warranty, and they appear to have good customer service. I don't have a good handle on how important it is that the 4200 model does not have the other collets available like the 4000 series has.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-20-2014, 8:31 PM
I bought a good Dremel kit from a pawn shop for $15. it looked like it was almost new. I don't remember what model. I think it has 5 speeds. I don't use it a lot but there are times it's a very useful tool. I've had it for several years and it still works fine. I've seen them at the pawn shop quite often & at good prices but only guaranteed to work when purchased on longer so I guess it may be a crap shoot as to how long it will last you.

Joe Kaufman
04-20-2014, 10:35 PM
The plastic/rubber coupling turning to mush looks familiar. My 10+ year old unit did the same. A friend said that Dremel's response was something like we don't sell repair parts, send the unit back for factory repair. I cut a piece of Tygon tubing and forced it over the plastic parts as a repair. It has a little more vibration than it did before, but it is use-able.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-21-2014, 1:01 AM
The plastic/rubber coupling turning to mush looks familiar. My 10+ year old unit did the same. A friend said that Dremel's response was something like we don't sell repair parts, send the unit back for factory repair. I cut a piece of Tygon tubing and forced it over the plastic parts as a repair. It has a little more vibration than it did before, but it is use-able.

Had not occurred to me to try tubing. I might give that a shot, very inexpensive. If that does not work, then I can decide between the two dremels and the proxxon.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-21-2014, 4:37 PM
I intend to purchase a piece of Tygon tubing as suggested as a possible repair. I also ordered a Dremel 4200 kit. If I burn that one out with my minimal use, I will look at a Proxxon or one of the professional over head motors. I ordered a kit since I can see some potential uses for some of the extra accessories.