PDA

View Full Version : MM16 Bandsaw?

Jesse Busenitz
04-19-2014, 5:03 PM
Ok, MM owners...... I possibly have an opportunity to buy one of these machines, and I've been wanting to upgade my delta 14" 3/4 hp w riser...... I was looking a new grizzly but then this thing popped up for sale. It's a 2003 model. I wouldn't mind getting something a little bigger but I think this is a good deal from what I've seen, so I guess I could always uprgrade again. I mill most of my wood so resaw capacity would be a plus. So my question is what's the pros and cons of this thing, and why should I buy this over a grizzly? Jess

Loren Woirhaye
04-19-2014, 5:45 PM
I don't own one but I would prefer an Italian steel frame band saw over a Taiwan one. I have some other Italian machines and they are good stuff.

David Eisenhauer
04-19-2014, 7:17 PM
I can't answer your question regarding the choice between the Grizz and the MM16, but I will say there is no comparison between the Delta 14" and the MM16. None. Say goodbye to all of that constant fiddling with guide settings, chasing vibrations, and slooooowly feeding for resaw. I have had a MM16 for years and it may be the last tool to go. Best of luck.

Bruce Page
04-19-2014, 7:42 PM
The only con I can think of is the ‘03 & ‘04 models had some problems with the electrical on/off switch. I have a 2004 model and haven’t had any problems with it (knock wood). Mine has a 2.65kw (3.5hp) motor that breezes through anything I feed it. The frame is strong and easily tensions a 1” blade. Some people love them but I wasn’t crazy about the European style guides and switched them out with Carter guides. I also didn’t care for the plastic throat plate and modified mine to take a brass plate.

Carter upgrade on MM16 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?147531-Carter-upgrade-on-MM16)

Fixing a MiniMax 16 Weakness (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?105988-Fixing-a-MiniMax-16-Weakness&highlight=fixing+MM+weakness)

Peter Quinn
04-19-2014, 7:51 PM
Ive used one griz saw, a 24", decent machine, but certainly not a minimax. There is getting it done, and there is a finely crafted italian work horse. Why does the minimax cost more? Its a better saw. I've used older MM16 in past, I'm using a brand new one at present job, thing of beauty really. They just nail all the little details. And the smooth accurate cuts don't suck either. Want to know how good a BS is? Go to a show room...change a blade. Some saws its a breeze, others its a struggle. Minimax is pretty easy IMO. You want to fight at every blade change? If you change infrequently it may matter less to you. Comes down to condition too, if the used MM is beat down and needs tires and love and they want top dollar the value may not be there, if its price fair and well maintained, I'd find it hard to believe you could be disappointed.

Jim Matthews
04-19-2014, 8:16 PM
What does the MM16 offer that your Delta 14 with riser block does not?

You could buy a lot of nice blades for what even a used MM will cost.
I own an MM20, and rarely use its full capacity.

I think the strongest attribute of larger saws is the momentum
generated at the wheels - they can really power a blade.

If you're not going to use the full resaw (or the gains are small),
you might have money better spent on new guides, a spiffy fence and some blades.

Michael Mahan
04-20-2014, 1:04 AM
The MiniMax Band Saws are really well made , I love mine ,
I got a MM20 actually the new S500P (same saw new # ) The new S500P USA model has a few differences like a Euro style Carter guides that I Hate ,(not very easy to use IMO ) basically just a huge rear jam bearing & steel fingers that are Guides ?
I am in the process of getting the of old style parts so I can add the Laguna Ceramic guides , seems the new S500P & S400P have a lower bearing support rod that is 1/2 the size of the upper support (3/4") that the guides mount on . I contacted MiniMax & my saw is a USA model & the 'other' world models have the old style supports & guides , so I was able to order the parts I need to mount the Laguna Ceramic guides , I also got a plate that allows for more flexibility in adjustment in the upper guide
I'll do a thread when they get here & if anyone needs the parts # PM me
I dealt with Paul of MiniMax parts in the SCM distribution center in Atlanta .
Got my Laguna DriftMaster resaw fence system installed today on the S500P didn't take as long as I thought to get it up & running :)
i'm also gonna do a zero clearance plate like Bruce Page did but in AL instead of brass
the new model has a ledge already there so no milling of the table needed , I just have to copy the plastic stock zero clearance plate in AL plate stock
here's Bruce's work http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?105988-Fixing-a-MiniMax-16-Weakness

Dan Blackshear
04-20-2014, 8:17 AM
I love mine.

Picked it up used last year and resawing on it is a joy. I had been using a Jet 14" with riser and 1hp motor and while it got the job done, it was a little nerve-wracking.

I kept the Jet, switched it back to a 3/8 blade and use it for curved work.

The MM is a solidly built machine and with the way bandsaw prices have gone up the past few years, I doubt you would lose much money, if any, if you decided to upgrade again later.

Jim Andrew
04-20-2014, 1:19 PM
Only thing I would give up my MM16 for would be a bigger MM. No vibrations issues, if you buy good blades they run very smoothly. Read the thread on the Laguna. I have trouble seeing how the Carter guides could be better. The guides that came standard are easy to adjust, work fine. Mine is a 04 model. No issue on the switch. Course I don't run it 2 shifts a day, 5 days a week. That is what the salesman told me the use they were built for. And running 16 hours a day their life is 20 years.

Michael Mahan
04-20-2014, 1:37 PM
the new North American MiniMax Band Saws has different guides now on new machines than what you have Jim , I wish mine were what you have ;)
I'll post some pix later today when I reinstall the stock new guides back in the MM20 while I wait for my ' Old model ' parts to get here from Italy that are needed for the Laguna Ceramic guide up-grade .
the new guides are a P I A to adjust (at least for me they are )
The Laguna Ceramic guides are simple , & Very Quick , Easy to adjust , a clean look as well

Jesse Busenitz
04-20-2014, 4:54 PM
I upgraded the Delta with the riser and carter guides, which in my opinion take a while to set up right.... but I havn't used any other style.... But it just has a 3/4 horse which will not resaw hardly anything of which I think I would use it a lot more if I had that capacity... I was gonna wait until I burned up the motor and beef it up but I wouldn't mind a bigger throat and frame that can tension a 1"+ blade properly.

I also just saw a Bridgewood BS 540 for sale locally. Anybody got one of those? It's actually cheaper than the MM16.

The flip side is that both these saw run on 220 which I have but between my planer, jointer, dust, collector and air cp I'm already pulling to many amps thru my current electrical setup so I orobably need to do some rewiring....maybe this would be the excuse to get it done...... also would you keep the 14" for smaller blades? My shop is already pretty full so, getting them both in there and leaving room to move yet, might be a trick.

Bruce Page
04-20-2014, 5:58 PM
Whatever you end up with keep your 14" if you have the room. I sold mine and quickly regretted it. I bought a 10" Rikon just for small stuff.
I am also amp challenged but I'm a one man shop and run only one machine at a time.

Jeff Bartley
04-20-2014, 6:55 PM
Jesse,
If you decide to pass on the mm16 please let us know and try to get one of us in there for the chance to purchase it.....they don't come up often. What is the asking price? Jeff

Jim Matthews
04-20-2014, 8:49 PM
If that Bridgewood is one of the ACM saws, and under $1000 it's a smoking deal.
(Call the seller and ask them to read the maker's label on the back, with the serial number.)

Moving it will be the challenge, and if you're paying for it - a consideration in the price.
I believe these were also imported with a Felder badge, using a different motor.

16" resaw capacity should be plenty.

Jesse Busenitz
04-20-2014, 9:37 PM
Well they're both on CL so we'll see what's available tomorrow, but I'm hoping to pick up one or the other, and I'll let you know what turns out.

Jesse Busenitz
04-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Anybody have more info/specs on the bridgewood saws? I noticed it's listed as a BS 540 and most people talk about a PBS... would that be the Pro model? What are the non italian model comparable to? The MM is listed at 1K and the BW is 800.

Jesse Busenitz
04-21-2014, 2:50 PM
Just got back with the Bridgewood.... Was about a 4 hour round trip, so not bad at all. It was at a school, which most people would shy away from that, but it was originally purchased by an older gentleman who used it a bit and then quit WW so he donated it to a school where it was used for resaw only. So all in all it looks like its in good condition, but it needs a little cleaning/setup. So if anyone is interested in the MM16 it may still be there stillwater.craigslist.org/tls/4425215321.html

David Kumm
04-21-2014, 3:10 PM
Bridgewood imported their saws from ACM and it is the heavier series. they were good saws and pretty much the same as what Felder used to import in the 540 size. Schools are good sources. Not heavy use. Dave

Jesse Busenitz
04-21-2014, 8:22 PM
287804Here is a pic of the saw.... It came with a 1" blade that is as dull as a butter knife... so I'm looking for advice on a resaw blade. I saw some good reviews on the Woodmasters and Tri masters... But anything better out there?

Jeff Bartley
04-21-2014, 8:29 PM
Nice score Jesse! I was about to ask for a picture of the saw, you must have been posting it while I signed in. This gives me hope that I'll find a bigger saw someday.

Jim Matthews
04-22-2014, 7:21 AM
I strongly recommend Jose at Iturra designs in Florida.

He's not the least expensive resource, but he'll steer you right.
Iturra Design (http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design)4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, FL 32225
Phone: (904) 642-2802

Mike Hollingsworth
04-22-2014, 7:38 PM
Don't look now but there's a real beauty on eBay today for $1500.

michael flay
05-10-2014, 2:15 PM
the new North American MiniMax Band Saws has different guides now on new machines than what you have Jim , I wish mine were what you have ;)
I'll post some pix later today when I reinstall the stock new guides back in the MM20 while I wait for my ' Old model ' parts to get here from Italy that are needed for the Laguna Ceramic guide up-grade .
the new guides are a P I A to adjust (at least for me they are )
The Laguna Ceramic guides are simple , & Very Quick , Easy to adjust , a clean look as well

Just wondering what you needed to do to install the guides as I just received my laguna guides and I can see that I may need to trim the blade guide to get it to fit and the bottom looks like it may need mods as well.

Michael Mahan
05-10-2014, 2:25 PM
Just wondering what you needed to do to install the guides as I just received my laguna guides and I can see that I may need to trim the blade guide to get it to fit and the bottom looks like it may need mods as well.

I ordered the old style parts from Italy i haven't gotten them yet

Albert Lee
05-11-2014, 4:08 AM
I have bought my s400p(mm16) recently for $2700 USD, they retail for $4000 USD here. I bought mine at a bargain cos the dealer is pulling out of NZ. The saw arrived last week, I got it out of its box today and the machine is really well made.

Jim Andrew
05-11-2014, 11:54 AM
As far as blades go, if you have a local saw blade service shop, they can order blades from companies you have not heard of. As they deal with industrial companies who use lots of blades. I ordered 3- 3/8" blades, they were only about 15 each for my mm16. And they are good. The welds are excellent. No bang bang bang as the saw is running.

Jim Becker
05-11-2014, 8:59 PM
I have the MM16 manufactured in 2003 in my shop...I continue to enjoy and appreciate it with every project I use it on. It's an outstanding piece of machinery...very high quality construction. The 12" of re-saw has not been constricting in any way. (the following year or so from that generation's manufacture, it increased by a few inches) If you were to have the MM16 side-by-side with whatever is reasonably equivalent to it from any value-priced manufacturer, it would likely be clear what the differences are and the advantages to each.

michael flay
05-12-2014, 2:01 AM
I ordered the old style parts from Italy i haven't gotten them yet
Do you have the part numbers so I can enquire with my dealer? I take it the parts are the old euro style mounts.

Michael Mahan
05-15-2014, 3:02 PM
Do you have the part numbers so I can enquire with my dealer? I take it the parts are the old euro style mounts.

PM sent ....

Gus Dundon
05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
MM16 is definitely a nice band saw. It's more than enough for resawing.