PDA

View Full Version : Another Woodworking Noob Question ... Jointer/planer

John Emwonk
04-19-2014, 3:20 PM
Hi

As I'm getting into this wonderful hobby, I have now grasped the need for a jointer and a planer.

I have some beautiful koa, but it is mostly not square.

Thanks to this forum, I am the happy owner of a Craftsman 113.

Is this 113 jointer an OK buy? It looks rough, but it looks solid. Is this even worth a look?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/4408269380.html

Also, what do you recommend for a planer?

I am am strictly a hobbyist. But I am the sort who would rather buy a Laguna 14 twelve vs. cheaper band saw. I realize the Laguna is not a Mercedes; I offer that example, and my 113 table saw to help you with scaling your advice to by perhaps-ill conceived approach to building my shop.

thanks

J

Roger Feeley
04-19-2014, 5:43 PM
Hmmm... If I were looking at a planer:

1. I would remove the belt and see if the bearings are good. Grab the pulley on the cutter shaft and see if there is any play. See that the cutter rotates easily and smoothly. Those bearing can probably be replaced but it would be a pain.

2. See that the guard moves smoothly.

3. Raise the infeed table even with the outfeed table and use a very good straightedge to see if they are co-planer.

4. See that both the infeed table and outfeed table heights can be adjusted easily.

5. See that the fence moves from side to side smoothly and tilts ok. I never tilt mine but you never know.

Matthew Hills
04-19-2014, 6:12 PM
Jointers are a tough choice. I have a 1930's delta 6" jointer. Works well, but the 6" width is pretty limiting. And I had an experienced OWWMer help check it out with me.
In my current projects, I'm hand planing to flatten my first face, before going to the planer.

Lunchbox planers have reasonable capacity, fairly cheap, and good surface quality at the cost of being quite loud and not as powerful as stationary planers.
I had a Ridgid R4330 (nice surface finish, but some snipe), switched to a Parks (no dust collection, and takes more space) and may switch yet again.
Unless you know you want big, I think lunchbox planers are a good choice. I'd buy the Makita or Dewalt DW735, but most give decent results.

Matt

Jim Matthews
04-19-2014, 8:24 PM
I would caution against running the Koa or any "money board" through a new tool.

You need to be familiar with it, first.
I recommend spending the money you've budgeted on instruction, first.

http://www.awacademy.com/spifolder/spi-600.htm