PDA

View Full Version : Tote refurbishing?

Paul Erickson
06-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I would appteciate suggestions as to what finish to use on totes. I have seen french polish used, and others have used tung oil. Would appreciate hearing any pro's and con's.

Thanks in advance.

Hal Flynt
06-24-2005, 1:52 PM
I have a limited bit of experience with maybe 3 totes. I used shellac on all three. I guess I use a modified French Polish Technique. I stumbled across this way of padding shellac trying to correct a mistake. I fold up a small piece of Bounty Paper towel (4-5” square piece) and dip it in some 2# Button Lac, and wipe it on as evenly as I can, let dry and repeat as often as seems prudent until I like the way it looks. Sometimes I use a scraper or a single sided razor blade that I put a burr on like a scraper and level the surface, then pad more on. At the end I add more alcohol (I use 90% Isopropyl because it’s cheap and available with no clouding problems.) and work kinda fast like I would imagine French polishing and It looks good to me. I might go over it with some 0000 steel wool then wax. One handle, I simply dipped, let dry, then shaved off the drip from the lower edge when dry with a razor blade and it looks very good too.

If I was going to use tung oil, I would let it dry 1-2 weeks and then shellac or leave it with just an oil finish. Whatever fells good to your hands. (It’s easier to clean up then touch up shellac in my opinion.

Dan Moening
06-24-2005, 2:09 PM
I haven't refurbished any of the totes on my planes. At least that is to say I haven't refinished them. I've simply cleaned them up with mineral spirits.

The one tote that I had to make was shaped from a rosewood I finished with a coat or 2 of BLO, followed by several coats of shellac. And finally I loaded 0000 steel wool with paste wax and buffed out the shellac.

IMO this combination just feels like a tool handle should.

Derek Cohen
06-25-2005, 10:24 AM
My best finish is (1) sand to 600 grit, (2) rub on 2 to 3 coats of Danish oil (= durable) (3) Finish with wax rubbed on with 0000 steel wool.
Rub off with a soft cloth.

This will give you a soft, lustrous finish that just begs to be held.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jerry Palmer
06-25-2005, 5:32 PM
I've used a slathering of BLO diluted with mineral spirits, then topped that off with a sort of French Polish application of shellac after the diluted BLO dried. Plane totes as well as saw totes. I've had others suggest not applying the filming coats as it bothers their hands or makes them sweat or something, but I just prefer the looks and have not had any issues with my hands sweating or anything.

As far as I can tell, shellac was the "varnish" of choice used by Disston and Stanley on their older stuff. On some of the saw totes I've found that after cleaning with mineral spirits and a bit of wool, and application of a bit of denatured alcohol brings back the original shine of the finish without even adding more shellac to it.

Lee DeRaud
06-25-2005, 6:44 PM
Uh, ok, I'll bite...what does "tote" mean in this context?

Bruce Page
06-25-2005, 8:05 PM
Uh, ok, I'll bite...what does "tote" mean in this context?
Lee, the tote is the rear handle.

Lee DeRaud
06-25-2005, 9:48 PM
Lee, the tote is the rear handle.<TIM voice Allen>
(insert Tim Allen voice effect here)
How stupid of me not to know that!:p

So...where does the plug go? :cool: </TIM voice Allen>