PDA

View Full Version : Bester 2K Review

Matthew N. Masail
04-19-2014, 11:00 AM
*I am changing all my stones to no-soak, so this one is sold too, but that has no bearing on this review*

Maybe about 6 mouths ago I asked about the bester 2000 stone but didn't get too much info, so after owning it since then I thought I would write up a simple review.

1- this stone is not what I expected as a step-up stone towards a 6-10k. although Lee-Valley say it's 6.7 microns, or half of a typical 1k,(which I believe), it cuts very aggressively. it cut's faster than the sigma 1.2K. the finish it leaves is gray like a 1k, however, the scratches it leaves are removed with ease compared to those from a 1k. for me, it acts as a refined, but slightly slower 1k stone. what it lacks in speed, it makes up for on the next stone, so I have gravitated into using it as a 1k most of the time.

2- hardness is softer than a 1.2 sigma but just about as hard as any other stone I've used (have not used shapton or chosera yet). it's hard enough to stay flat but it releases grit nicely enough. doesn't make much mud, but cut's very fast. I think they hit the nail on the head as far as hardness goes with this one.

3- so far - the nicest feeling waterstone I have ever used. it feels.. sandy (like sand) if that makes sense. it bits into the steel and feels solid and easy to freehand on. the Cerax stones are creamy, but this is nicer IMO.

4. it's big... 3inches wide, and about 1inch thick. glued to a heavy wooden base it would be my "1k" of choice if I were to stay were soakers. I would get a 300-600 grit for when something coarser is needed.

I briefly got to try a bester 1k, it was very fast and had the same great feel, seemed a little softer, also very very nice stone.

I highly recommend the bester 2k, but not as a 3-4k substitute, it's more of a refined 1k. if you use micro bevels or hollow grinds or even Paul Sellers method (which I do on chisels), this stone would be a great 1k, most of the time I get a burr so quick I don't even think about it.

* this stone is not suited to a "1 stone only method", it's an abrader, not a polisher. for that the sigma 1.2 is decent, if you use a loaded strop.

Hope this helps anyone interested in this stone.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-21-2014, 4:17 PM
I always appreciate your insights and questions in this regard, since you have been talking (writing) about moving in this direction for a while.

David Weaver
04-21-2014, 5:12 PM
Side note regarding bester's 1000 and 1200 stones, the 1200 is much harder and more "ceramic" feeling, but very aggressive with a good filing feeling on an edge. What someone would like depends on taste, I guess. (i love the bester 1.2 for tools, and would like the 1k more for knives)

I was curious to find out whether this stone was like the 1000 stone (which would make it less like the 1.2) or not like the 1k (and thus more like the 1.2). Sounds like it's more like the 1k.

Thanks for putting up your thoughts about it.

Tony Zaffuto
04-21-2014, 7:07 PM
Is hardness a subjective measurement and if not, how do you measure it?