PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Epliog laser tube failure in 3 years...sigh

bruce edwards
04-19-2014, 9:20 AM
I did a lot of research before I bought my 40 watt Mini 18 laser. Epilog seemed to have the best reputation and customer service. Universal and Trotec were the other 2 options. I don't use my laser for any heavy duty engraving or hour on end etc.....the 1st 2 tube failures were covered by the warranty which was good, but I live in the Philippines so the shipping/customs costs were very expensive. Last week I got an error code on the display and contacted support. He said to unplug the ethernet cable and see if it would boot up. I did and it did. Too bad the laser won't fire with that cord unplugged. So he said probably a short in my tube. $1,400 for the tube + $350 shipping + who knows how much customs import fees will be.
So I was wondering if anyone had tried getting a tube from China and replacing it themselves? I have NO IDEA how complicated it would be to R&R the tube. Just hoping for a more cost effective solution!!! Thank you in advance for any help.

Bill Stearns
04-19-2014, 7:36 PM
Bruce -
Any chance you have some sort of business insurance which might help you with the cost? (i.e. business interruption insurance?) I've had my Epilog 35W going on eight years - kind' a the same type of use you've described - have yet to replace the tube. (I dread this happening in the midst of a incredibly important job!) Wish I could offer you more ideas. Good luck .... Bill

AL Ursich
04-19-2014, 7:58 PM
Others will chime in on using a different tube to power the system but I believe that is a very difficult project... And if it was possible we would have likely seen something by now. I have seen posts here about using a Glass Tube on a US System years ago so a search might get you an answer.

Looks like you may need to bite the bullet and pay the fees... sorry to say... If your wanting a China System, rather try to match a Glass Tube to your Epilog with all the difficulty of Power Supply and Interface... Just get a China Unit...

As for two tubes going out in warranty.. that was a warning.... I would be looking at input power, cooling in the room and Humidity....

Not really cost effective sucking all the cool air out through your exhaust... but both Cool and Exhaust are neccessary evils...

It has been years since I walked the streets of PI but my first thought was power spikes and bumps.... Do you have a Power Conditioner or UPS?

Any chance the failures all happened in a hot humid period? Is the failure Enviromental Related?

Good Luck,

AL

Edit: After reading back on many of your old post and the range of Laser Issues starting about April 2011, my thought is still input power problems... and possibly even Electrical Grounding... Just a WAG... Wild AL Guess....

Joe Pelonio
04-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Actually, the price at $1,400 is very reasonable compared to what they used to be. I had one go out on warrant, then the second just over a year later. It cost me $2,300 back in 2008. On the bright side, that one has now lasted over 5 years. What concerns me is that Tech Support told you it was "probably a short in your tube". Even at the lower price of $1,400 that's an expensive part to replace without knowing it's really the problem.

bruce edwards
04-20-2014, 1:22 AM
Thank you for the info. Yes I considered it might be an environmental issue, but I always have an air conditioner and fan blowing on the laser, and also use a UPS. $1,400 is a steep price to pay for "probably is a short", but not much choice due to my location. If there was a knowledgable local here, he would charge me an arm and 2 legs because I'm a foreigner. I won't try replacing the tube with a China tube. Thanks again

Bill Cunningham
04-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Wow strange..I replaced my first tube at 4 years but due to improper venting/cooling it was probably my fault. The replacement has been going strong now for 6.5 years..(Darn I prob.just jinxed it)

Craig Matheny
04-26-2014, 2:42 PM
Maybe I am wrong on this approach but I have spent a few months in the Philippines and my experience with the power was not the best what do you have prtoecting your laser from surges, spikes and brown outs? If it is a short the cause could very well be bad power.

AL Ursich
04-26-2014, 7:43 PM
Thank you for the info. Yes I considered it might be an environmental issue, but I always have an air conditioner and fan blowing on the laser, and also use a UPS. $1,400 is a steep price to pay for "probably is a short", but not much choice due to my location. If there was a knowledgable local here, he would charge me an arm and 2 legs because I'm a foreigner. I won't try replacing the tube with a China tube. Thanks again

So you have the power covered with a UPS and that is good.

Had a thought... Any After Hours Laser work by employees when you are not around and the AC is not on?

AL