PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw extension router table

jim tritz
04-18-2014, 11:27 PM
A lot of you have been following my Powermatic Refurbish project and although this is part of that saw refurbish, I really thought it needs to be a different thread as it pertains to what is the best plan for a router table on the extension of this saw.
Basically, I have a 28×36 space to work with to have it fit between the extension rails of the saw. I am not as concerned about the length as I can retrofit with a number of options. I have looked at cast iron extensions and many other tables offered by Rockler, woodcraft etc. Nobody really makes one 28” wide to fit my rails (I have found some 27” wides that will work). I am not opposed to making one. I am considering spending my money on a good lift kit and building the table to fit my saw. The other part of this equation is I need a new Router. I have an old 1.25 HP craftsman.
Here is where I want help:
1.) Buy a ready to go table and router that I can make work with my 28” between rails set up
2.) Buy a lift kit, custom build the table to fit the lift kit, and my saw and buy the appropriate router.
3.) Buy a router that doesn’t need a lift kit (Triton maybe? any other suggestions?) and build a table to fit the router and my saw.
I know I am all over the map on this. I have spent a ton of time refurbishing this table saw which is turning out beyond my best expectations. I have to rebuild the extension on this saw to complete the refurbish and make it look as nice as the rest of the saw (we are a particular and picky breed Yes?) So to me, getting the extension end of the saw right is as important as the rest of the refurbish. I want a first class functional router table on the end of a really cool old table saw to bring this thing full circle.( For those of you following the table saw refurbish, I got the motor remounted, the top will attached tomorrow as will the rails and it will be ready to go as soon as I receive my splitter I ordered. So stay tuned on the other thread for the final pictures and a test run video!)
Help me with this guys. I am really torn as to which way to go and what is the best option for the router table and the router itself. Just for guidelines, my budget for this portion of the saw is about $500-$600 for the router table top and Router.
Thanks