PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Lining Question

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Dennis Fairman's blanket chest reminded me of a question that's been bugging me off and on for awhile: If you're lining a box with thin cedar, how do you attach it? (I'm assuming the cedar will remain unfinished.)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Lee,

The cedar needs to remain unfinished for it to smell. In the one that I built, I first lined the sides, brad nailing the very top edge. Then I lined the bottom and glued it in (The bottom was plywood). The bottom held the side peices tight. To cover up the nails, I cut cherry trim peices with a rabbet in them. I glued those in place...

Jeff

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
In the one that I built, I first lined the sides, brad nailing the very top edge. Then I lined the bottom and glued it in (The bottom was plywood). The bottom held the side peices tight. To cover up the nails, I cut cherry trim peices with a rabbet in them. I glued those in place...Ok, that sounds like the way to go for larger pieces...how about something smaller (e.g. humidor)?
I was going to add a 1/8" panel of cedar to the inside of the of the lid of one of my small boxes, but I can't think of anything better than double-stick tape or a couple blobs of silicone to hold it in. I'm afraid to glue it: if I don't get some pretty stout clamps on it, I'm afraid it will warp.:confused: And if I don't glue it, I'm still afraid it will warp: it's a gift headed for a much more humid climate.:eek:

larry merlau
06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok, that sounds like the way to go for larger pieces...how about something smaller (e.g. humidor)?
I was going to add a 1/8" panel of cedar to the inside of the of the lid of one of my small boxes, but I can't think of anything better than double-stick tape or a couple blobs of silicone to hold it in. I'm afraid to glue it: if I don't get some pretty stout clamps on it, I'm afraid it will warp.:confused: And if I don't glue it, I'm still afraid it will warp: it's a gift headed for a much more humid climate.:eek:

why are you afriad to glue it? clamp with pads to prevent damage and as for the warpage can you anchore it with movement in mind? with a additional peice of trim (lackof a better term). ask dennis he is a good box maker (mr peacock) havnt had any trouble in my endeavors with cedar but it was thicker stock

Dennis Fairman
06-24-2005, 5:56 PM
Lee,

If it's small enough to use a single piece on each side, why not use a rabbit joint in the corners with the ends holding the longer sides tight to the corner? Use the bottom, t&g together if necessary for width, to hold everything tight at the bottom. (I know you're using only 1/8" thickness, so there's the trick). Secure the middle top of the long sides by whatever means, glue or decorative screw.

If you could get enough of a joint in the corners and fit the bottom, nothing can get out of place without removing your top ,middle attachment. (That is until all the pieces shrink and the whole lining collapses!!!!

Jim Becker
06-24-2005, 6:23 PM
You can safely glue it in a small box like a humidor. It's a good idea to keep the grain direction the same as the outer shell of the box to accomodate movement, small as it will be. That said, many folks do use small brads.

Chris Padilla
06-24-2005, 6:39 PM
Hmmm, just make the whole box outa Cedar and don't finish it inside! ;) In fact, don't finish it all! hahaha

Have a nice weekend, Lee....

Peter Engelmann
06-25-2005, 8:00 AM
I got the cedar flooring in this tack trunk at HD. It comes as a 20 sqft package (IIRC) and has T&G sides and ends. The outermost pieces had to be trimmed to fit. I screwed cleats on each end to hold it in place and no glue or other fasteners, reason being should the floor ever get damaged from whatever a rider might put in it replacement isn't a problem.

http://www.yankeeblues.com/mediac/400_0/media/WO~Tack~Truck~008.JPG

Bill Lewis
06-26-2005, 5:38 PM
I thought you didn't want to use aromatic cedar for a humidor. It'll transfer its smell to the cigars. I thought it was western cedar that is preferred. I'm neither a cigar smoker, nor a humidor builder, just curious.

Bob Johnson2
06-26-2005, 7:24 PM
In regards to the cedar in a humidor, I'm starting one from plans in FWW that I found while searching the web.hen I tried to reopen the link just now they ask for $3.50 for them but if your interested in it go to www.taunton/finewoodworking/pages/w00069.asp, (http://www.taunton/finewoodworking/pages/w00069.asp,) it's kind of weird cause the link opened the whole artical a week ago!!! Oh well.

Tha author that builds them professionally suggests a "one thin bead of yellow glue down the middle of each peice", no rabbits or such.

Spanish Cedar is the preferred wood.

Charlie Plesums
06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Don't confuse Spanish Cedar (used in humidors) with Aromatic cedar (used to moth proof closets). They are very different woods.

The article in FWW on building humidors used two layers of spanish cedar with a veneer on the outside. After research in lots of cigar shops (I don't smoke them, so it was just research), I never found a humidor built with spanish cedar as the primary wood, only as the lining.

If you miter the corners of the lining of a humidor, the sides will slide into place and stay. The lining of the bottom provides additional support, although the sides don't need that extra support. The only glue/brads I use are in the lining in the lid.

Be sure to use a waterproof glue, such as polyurethane or epoxy. The 70% humidity inside the humidor is reportedly too much for even water resistant PVA glues. Double stick tape does not work (DAMHIKT)