PDA

View Full Version : Zing Epilog Y axis Motor Jammed

Pammi Saini
04-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi All :)

Need some help I am newbie on this forum as never had an issue with my zing before lol

I have a Y axis motor seizure issue on my Epilog zing 16

When I boot up everything seems fine control boards works makes beep noise x axis moves to home!
But somehow my pointer will not move down on Y axis as will only engrave repeatedly on same top line on the x axis when I send a print job! (Video link attached of what exactly happens)

If I send a vector it will only move on x axis but will start vibrating and make machine gun noise, when going down on the y axis?
When I move the pointer in the middle of bed when turned off, and then power up, normally pointer will have to reset and move up the y axis to home position. But it does not I can here motor vibrating noise (Video link below of this in action).
I can freely move the motor barrel rod at the back when switched off, seems smooth but jams super tight when trying to go down y axis on any job sent

Also when pointer goes across the x axis it’s not as smooth as before sounds more rigid and rough again video probably do a better job of describing

I have looked at the motor and tested it does have 12v power going through it does not seem damaged
The pointer can be moved freely without power to see if it has any jams pushing down y axis, , so I do not think the motor is at fault! Maybe a driver on the motherboard needs changing.

The Video links below
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Colossal1886/media/EpilogZingYAxisSeisure_1_zpsc883535d.mp4.html
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Colossal1886/media/Rasterfilepointernotmovingdownyaxis_zpsa86e6489.mp 4.html

I have had this machine for a four years so is now out of warranty, only light use you could say around 100hrs in total mostly acrylic 3mm sheets cut and engraved.

Please can anyone suggest a solution?

and also can you provide a circuit diagram for the motherboard if possible i have asked Dr Google but nothing .. zilch?

Really do not want to be spending money for a new motherboard as I know they are quite expensive any other suggestions welcome or if somebody has had similar problem please post

Just for the record, I do have power surge protector and no spillage/damage visible on the motherboard. Machine is kept in ventilated area.
Awesome Forum by the way

Many Thanks
Pam

Mike Null
04-18-2014, 3:05 PM
Pam

Welcome to SMC. I'm sure somebody will offer a solution. In the meantime, have you tried Epilog tech support?

I would look at the belts or gears driven by the motor. I am not familiar with your machine but it's possible that you have a loose drive gear or broken belt.

Bill George
04-18-2014, 5:14 PM
Loose or broken motor wire or connection, bad motor or bad motor driver. Of those I would check the connections and wiring first. It take just one wire to make the motor not operate correctly. I would hope the motor driver is not part of the motherboard.

Pammi Saini
04-18-2014, 7:28 PM
Pam

Welcome to SMC. I'm sure somebody will offer a solution. In the meantime, have you tried Epilog tech support?

I would look at the belts or gears driven by the motor. I am not familiar with your machine but it's possible that you have a loose drive gear or broken belt.

Thanks Mike, i have checked nothing seems broken hoepfully will hear back from Epilog on Monday with a solution finger crossed :)

Pammi Saini
04-18-2014, 7:31 PM
Thanks Bill I tested the motor with a meter, unplugged from the board, and both windings were intact and giving a 12 ohm static resistance reading so i presume the motor should be ok ?

Bill George
04-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks Bill I tested the motor with a meter, unplugged from the board, and both windings were intact and giving a 12 ohm static resistance reading so i presume the motor should be ok ?

I don't know if your machine uses stepper motors or servos? When I had problems with my CNC router, I swapped the motors to test. On your machine I know nothing about the motor sizes or wiring so swapping the motors or at least the wiring is something I would not attempt.

Pammi Saini
04-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks Bill,
I do know its a stepper motor, sounds like a good idea to switch the motors around if its easy todo?

I have told epilog about the situation, they haven`t really got a detailed solution just said need to change the whole MB and purchase a Y motor
Note happy as i thought it could have been something repaired :(

Bill George
04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Does the new "Y" motor come with cable and plug? That's the cheaper solution... cheaper than a motherboard which I assume is outright and no exchange price. Unless you know 100% if both the X and Y motors are the same, then you could at least swap them around to see if the problem also follows. I wonder if you can just swap the plugs around to try?