PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tank Regulator Question

Rich Riddle
04-18-2014, 10:24 AM
I need to combine two propane tanks (large ones) into one line going into a barn. The local utility company only wants to lease a regulator for the purpose, not sell it. Lease it at a very high fee. They won't even indicate what type of regulator to purchase. Do any of you folks know what type of regulator fits the bill and where one may purchase it? Thanks.

Howard Garner
04-18-2014, 10:35 AM
I need to combine two propane tanks (large ones) into one line going into a barn. The local utility company only wants to lease a regulator for the purpose, not sell it. Lease it at a very high fee. They won't even indicate what type of regulator to purchase. Do any of you folks know what type of regulator fits the bill and where one may purchase it? Thanks.

Would the dual tank regulator for a RV work? They are set to auto change over when a tank runs out.

Howard Garner

Tom Stenzel
04-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Richard, what kind of flow rate will you need? The RV type regulators would be a bit small if you intend to heat a barn. If you plan to just use the propane for a stove or something relatively small they might work.

-Tom

Rich Riddle
04-18-2014, 12:12 PM
It is used to heat a 30 x 40 barn with 12 foot height.

Mike Cutler
04-18-2014, 4:43 PM
You need an automatic swapover valve and a two stage regulator. Sometimes they are an integrated assembly, sometimes different pieces.
Lowes sells the Mr. Heater brand Two stage regulators that are rated for 143,00 and 200,000 Btus. Sometimes they have the swapover regulator.
Rv Centers will definitely have what you need.
200,000 Btu's is enough to heat your barn. If you need a higher capacity regulator it can be purchased online. A google search will give you what you need.

Mark Bolton
04-19-2014, 7:27 AM
Oddly enough grainger who is usually very high on prices has good prices on propane regulators. I have three tanks ganged at my house and got a regulator there. I don't see why you'd need a swap over. They are handy for removing a smaller bottle to fill leaving a full bottle in service for uninterupted use.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-19-2014, 9:43 AM
Why do you need a regulator to do the crossover? Of course you need a regulator before the output, but why on the cross over?

Jerome Stanek
04-19-2014, 11:53 AM
if you need very high btu output check out hot air balloon suppliers They have burners that are in the millions btu output.

Mike Cutler
04-23-2014, 5:25 PM
Why do you need a regulator to do the crossover? Of course you need a regulator before the output, but why on the cross over?

Steve
In actuality, you don't, but he did say he wanted to join two cylinders together.
The reality is that if the two POL lines are joined at a simple Tee, into the regulator, Boyle's Law takes over and both cylinders will be empty at the same time. Not an ideal situation. The swap over valve switches tanks and lets you know when one needs to filled. It's more for convenience and equipment protection down the line. It's bad for igniters to continuously try to ignite.