PDA

View Full Version : How stupid

Brian Ashton
04-18-2014, 4:07 AM
I just couldn't leave well enough alone could I. So the hot water tanks in this part of the world are outside... As is usual the tank has an overflow/pressure valve that releases water every now and again... Problem is it spills onto the ground instead of going down a drain. In this part of the world you don't want a constant source of moist soil near the house as it can attract termites... So I decide it's a good time to fix this and add a bit of pipe that will reach the drain. Because all my tools are packed up I can only find a hacksaw instead of the proper pipe cutting tool... So I'm cutting away and inadvertently nick the outflow pipe. The nick doesn't completely go through but the pipe wall is now paper thin. So I now need to cut that pipe back and either put a compression fitting on or solder a new joint in to get rid of the damaged section. You wouldn't think that was much or a problem would ya, and to be honest for me it isn't under usual circumstances. But this isn't quite the usual circumstances as it's easter weekend and all the hardware stores are closed for the holidays and I'm getting on a plane on tuesday to fly to England with the intent of never returning (which is why the proper tools for the job are not available as they've been crated up ready to be shipped to the other side of the globe)... Just couldn't leave well enough alone... It's been like this for years and I only now decide it's time to fix it.

Frederick Skelly
04-18-2014, 7:06 AM
Ive done dumb things like that too Brian. Hang in there.

Enjoy your new adventure. Drop us a post when you get set up in England.
Travel safely.
Fred

Wayne Lovell
04-18-2014, 7:27 AM
If I understand correctly this overflow pipe usually had no flow and when it does there would be almost no pressure on the line since it is open at the end. If the pipe was not cut all the way through I would leave it alone, it will probably out last all of us. More important for someone who comes behind you is that if the pressure relief valve is opening to let water out either the pressure relief valve is bad, the thermostat is bad, or it is set so high that pressure is building up to high in the tank. The pressure relief valve is an emergency relief and should never release water in normal operation.

John Coloccia
04-18-2014, 7:52 AM
The pressure relief valve is an emergency relief and should never release water in normal operation.

Exactly. You need to figure out why yours is squirting out water periodically.

David Weaver
04-18-2014, 8:53 AM
We always called that "Getting an itch". It's like a part of your body that doesn't ever come to mind for years, but one day you get an itch and you scratch it.

That somehow makes us feel like it's not our fault when we say that :)

Lee Schierer
04-18-2014, 9:04 AM
Exactly. You need to figure out why yours is squirting out water periodically.

It is not normal for pressure relief valve to release any amount of water. If you have a back flow preventer of pressure regulator in your in coming water line, thermal expansion of the water in the water heater can produce enough pressure to lift the relief valve. If this is the cause a small expansion tank can fix the problem. Water hammer can cause a safety valve to lift but that should only release a very small amount of water.

Judson Green
04-18-2014, 9:33 AM
Yup! Not something to fool around with.

Water Heater Blast: http://youtu.be/GF_Wrm-Ns0I

Mythbusters: Exploding Water Heater: http://youtu.be/0rXwcDkobUY

Stephen Musial
04-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Replace your PRV - takes longer to drain the tank than to replace the valve and for the nicked pipe, just get a repair coupling (one without the nib inside) slide it up to cover the nick and sweat it in place.

Jerome Stanek
04-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Why not just solder over it if you think it is a problem but like what was said if there is no pressure just leave it

Brian Ashton
04-21-2014, 3:19 AM
Must have been a bit vague. The pipe that was nicked was the outflow pipe not the overflow, thus it's under pressure. Anyways it's fixed now, just cut out the damaged section and replaced it with a compression fitting. The stress was thinking there wouldn't be anyone open over the easter weekend to buy the right part from.

I'm done mucking now with anything except trying to figure out what to jamb in the luggage.

As some said overflow valves shouldn't leak but I've not lived in a house here where they didn't let out a bit of water now and again. But then again building standards here leave a great deal to be desired.

Lee Schierer
04-21-2014, 9:38 PM
As some said overflow valves shouldn't leak but I've not lived in a house here where they didn't let out a bit of water now and again. But then again building standards here leave a great deal to be desired.

I've lived in my house for 40+ years with two different water tanks and neither on leaked any water out of the pressure relief valve and yes I lift the valves periodically (with pressure off the system so I don't get water on the floor) to insure they are not cemented in place by calcium build up.

Bill Cunningham
04-22-2014, 9:54 PM
Well, if you're never coming back don't worry about it :cool: