PDA

View Full Version : Tote finish suggestions wanted.

Paul Erickson
06-24-2005, 9:37 AM
I was wondering what people are using to finish totes. Ernie Conover uses french polish, and I seem to remember others using Tung oil. I would be interested in hearing any suggestions, and any pro's and con's to each type of finish.

cheers, Paul

Hal Flynt
06-24-2005, 1:56 PM
Same response as in the Neander Section;
I have a limited bit of experience with maybe 3 totes. I used shellac on all three. I guess I use a modified French Polish Technique. I stumbled across this way of padding shellac trying to correct a mistake. I fold up a small piece of Bounty Paper towel (4-5” square piece) and dip it in some 2# Button Lac, and wipe it on as evenly as I can, let dry and repeat as often as seems prudent until I like the way it looks. Sometimes I use a scraper or a single sided razor blade that I put a burr on like a scraper and level the surface, then pad more on. At the end I add more alcohol (I use 90% Isopropyl because it’s cheap and available with no clouding problems.) and work kinda fast like I would imagine French polishing and It looks good to me. I might go over it with some 0000 steel wool then wax. One handle, I simply dipped, let dry, then shaved off the drip from the lower edge when dry with a razor blade and it looks very good too.

If I was going to use tung oil, I would let it dry 1-2 weeks and then shellac or leave it with just an oil finish. Whatever fells good to your hands. (It’s easier to clean up then touch up shellac in my opinion.