PDA

View Full Version : Bird Perches

Rich Riddle
04-17-2014, 6:06 PM
Now that honeysuckle hill has been eradicated, the wife noticed the birds have no where to sit near the bird feeder. When you google bird perches they just show you a limb that will cost a lot to ship. I turned countless limbs into mulch. Do you folks have any ideas on what to build for the birds to use to hang out?

Larry Frank
04-17-2014, 8:25 PM
I think that you need to plant some trees or something to attract the birds. The birds that used to live in the honeysuckle will be going elsewhere and you will probably be seeing some new birds. It is always a trade off when you cut down trees or bushes or brush as the birds that lived there will move on to a new home.

ray hampton
04-17-2014, 8:38 PM
some new trees will help OR you can wait until the poke plant take over

Raymond Fries
04-17-2014, 9:35 PM
The golden privets in front of our house are very popular and they grow pretty fast. I also hung a niger seed feeder in there. You could also put a shepards hook there. Ours has a branch on the top that the birds like.

Good luck with your birds

Erik Loza
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
...You could also put a shepards hook there. Ours has a branch on the top that the birds like...

+1 on the shepherd's crook. At our feeders, the birds just perch on these. We have one of the pole-type modular setups from the local Wild Birds Unlimited. I have several arms on the they perch there. Also, they will fly in and just land on the feeder, itself.

Not sure what types of vegetation you do or don't care for but our birds seem to perch in pretty much anything. Could you post some photos of the general area?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

dawn villaescusa
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
+1 on getting something planted nearby, not just for perching but for cover from predators. In the meantime, until something grows big enough, a shepherd's hook or make a post with some sticks or dowels stuck into it at random heights and lengths near the feeder. Depending on the type of feeder, I've either run sticks through the wires to provide more "seating", or attach them to the wooden sides. This was at a previous location - don't have any up to show pix.

Sam Murdoch
04-18-2014, 7:18 AM
They will hang out on anything - discarded Christmas trees to old straw brooms -broomy end up- to chicken wire on sticks. Of course they prefer foliage that helps to camouflage or provide food but near the feeder any appendage will do.

Bob Rufener
04-18-2014, 9:54 AM
I don't have a tree near our bird feeder. I drilled two holes through a block of 2 x 2 wood and screwed it tot he top of the feeder. I inserted two rods through the holes (available at your building center or hardware store) and now the birds have something on which to perch. Simple and not costly.