PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Hand Tool Woodworking

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 1:19 PM
I came across these on another forum, or at least a link to one or two of them. Given the discussions in other threads, I have a serious preference for watching professionals do woodworking vs. the kinds of things that we've been talking about lately. Most of the stuff aimed at beginners gives no reference for pace of actual woodworking when a seriously competent woodworker is doing daily tasks (vs. camera close-up ready stuff).

This guy's name, or the name of the guy taking videos - is GE Hong. Just about everything in his videos is work by hand, and there is a ton of sawing and mortising, and not a lot of fiddling.

mortising starts around 6:00 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctBg8tmZGaU

If you're going through these videos and see something interesting, please post the link to it and describe what's going on in it. I haven't got any chance of figuring out what any of the titles are without dragging them to google translate.

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 1:29 PM
Making a chinese handsaw (nice filing pace in the last video. Different mindset than the boutique saw places, though one that in my experience is perfectly appropriate for actual woodworking - you have more leeway to file like this when it's your saw and you won't have a customer telling you how they couldn't saw with it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaWtJntNtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FW337gYYvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J_INk7dSMw

Matthew N. Masail
04-17-2014, 1:58 PM
It's hard to watch with all that talking... the saw making is very cool! love his marking gauge, brilliant!

maximillian arango
04-17-2014, 2:08 PM
It's hard to watch with all that talking... but like you said it's nice to see real woodworking. love his marking gauge, brilliant!

I enjoyed it more not knowing what was being said lol but I am left with the feeling that I'm being yelled at like I'm listening to German.

Its really cool seeing all the different techniques.

Doug Bowman
04-17-2014, 2:22 PM
Interesting how he levers and hits the chisel at the same time. Also he has often started the swing on his axe prior to the chisel being back in position to hit.

Brian Holcombe
04-17-2014, 2:55 PM
Interesting, I'd love to see the final result. Thanks for posting it up.

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 3:06 PM
Interesting, I'd love to see the final result. Thanks for posting it up.

It'd be easier to figure out what's what if we could read the titles. I think he shows the saw at the end of the saw video, but the other stuff, it's hit or miss trying to figure out where the actual item being made is, and compared to things we make, some of the stuff is fairly odd looking. But there's no doubt when the guy cuts a double through mortise and pops the joint together, he's not just making junk.

Brian Holcombe
04-17-2014, 3:12 PM
If it's mandarin I can ask my wife to translate the titles.
Probably a traditional style piece, from what I understand traditional pieces are not without complicated joinery.

Jussi Auvinen
04-17-2014, 3:35 PM
My few japanese mortisers couldent handle that kind of abuse. Any idea what kind of steels the chinese would use traditionally for mortising chisels?

I would guess they use a high carbon like the japanese but prying like that I would chip my japanese mortisers pretty fast. They're not very highend though.

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 3:40 PM
High end japanese mortise chisels tolerate that kind of work easily. The least expensive chisels I've used that will, though, are miyanaga, and even those (while not being super high end) are not inexpensive.

Ray iles chisels tolerate that kind of stuff well, too. Chinese tool stuff is hard to gather. They look like they're made similar to japanese chisels but with a bigger socket. I would assume that if they are traditional, they're carbon steel, because the guangxi finish hone that's all over the place (blue slate) is not a fast stone, and I know they don't have the same fetish the japanese have with synthetic sharpening stones, because most sythetic chinese sharpening stones are junky - with the possible exception of some of the expensive sintered hones that they make.

At any rate, the guy in the video doesn't baby his tools and they tolerate it well. It's clear that they're not dull when he's using them.

george wilson
04-17-2014, 3:58 PM
I couldn't get past the mortising. Notice how he rapidly walks the chisel so it is between the lines.

I do not strike my chisel handles with steel hammers(axe),but many do in the Orient,I guess.

His hand forged claw hammer head is EXACTLY the same as the 18th. C. hammer heads we used in Williamsburg. They were not designed for nail pulling,but were for pulling wooden pegs. Pulling nails without the longer"Adze eye" type modern hammers would very quickly break the handles.

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 4:23 PM
I found it interesting because I also walk the chisel like that, but half that speed at best.

Phil Thien
04-17-2014, 4:44 PM
There are times when he stops working and starts talking and pointing, I sure wish I knew what the guy was saying I feel like I'm missing out on a ton of wisdom.

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 4:56 PM
I do not strike my chisel handles with steel hammers(axe),but many do in the Orient,I guess.

I remember seeing elsewhere that the hatchet used as a do-all is common (maybe even standard is appropriate), and that if you want to do something light, you hit with the side, and if you want a forceful very direct strike, you strike with the poll.

I think when he points to it a couple of times in the middle, he might be saying that, but who knows?

Warren Mickley
04-17-2014, 4:57 PM
I think he is easier on the tools than it appears. It looks like he is sticking the tool in twisting it around, but I don't think he is really levering so much as repositioning the tool. All that fast gyration disguises what is going on.

As George says he walks the chisel to position it, resting it on one corner than the other and twisting it to walk it to the proper spot to hit. It takes some skill to do this easily. He does it so confidently that it arrives at the new position just in time for a hit.

David Weaver
04-17-2014, 5:16 PM
I'd agree warren. There isn't any deep burying of the chisel and then trying to lever out something that takes great force, or hard scraping of a mortise bottom or anything. The levering is subtle, like a wrist flick. It's a good technique.

I have no clue what the wood is, of course none of us probably do, but it doesn't look too hard - looks a lot like mahogany. It's interesting that he works straight through no problem and appears to have a nice through mortise.

Brian Holcombe
04-17-2014, 7:12 PM
He goes on about the design of his tools in another video, speaking if the hand planes in the ancient style and the Chinese style chisels which are shaped as something of a cross between western and eastern ( though likely older than both).

Or so says my wife. She has trouble with his dialect, but he is speaking Mandarin Chinese.

george wilson
04-17-2014, 8:19 PM
No,he's not levering the chisel that much. I don't walk my chisel as I don't want to mark the wood. I put it between the lines.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-17-2014, 10:58 PM
No time to really watch this now, but in the Google Chrome browser, I can right click (control button and click on my Mac laptop) on the page and select "translate to English", and get a rough translation of the Chinese text. The same middling-quality translation you'd get from copy-pasting into Google, but saves you a step. I'll have to look at these later, they seem interesting.

Max Withers
04-17-2014, 11:17 PM
This is fascinating. If you go to the website in the background, it turns out to be woodworkers forum, of all things. The first thread I clicked on was some similarly fancy m&ts:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.xuemugong.com%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D768%26bih%3 D834&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.xuemugong.com/forum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D11578&usg=ALkJrhg2iKUy1NaXJOXNNHHWTm9U7mG2nw

Chris Parks
04-17-2014, 11:50 PM
It has always seemed to me a limiting thing that the internet is divided by language and we only see a very small part of it. Other parts can be explore but not well by using Google national sites peculiar to each country. I am sure we miss out on so much due to the language thing.

Brian Holcombe
04-18-2014, 12:12 AM
He's building a gorgeous folding stool in that first video and series that fallows.

Jim Matthews
04-18-2014, 8:43 AM
It's Mandarin.

(Putong Hua)

It's also pretty clear, even with my rusty skills I can make out a third of it.
Mainly because he's well miked - he talks pretty fast.

Jim Matthews
04-18-2014, 8:45 AM
It's the four-post mortising gauge that really caught my eye.

All four gauge lines from the same reference face,
no fancy widdling required.

I figure even I could make one of those.

What I can't duplicate is the three dimensional memory this guy
has for the layout of joints he's cutting.

That's spectacular.

David Weaver
04-18-2014, 8:50 AM
Interesting set of non-secret mitered dovetails. Different than any I've seen, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSfWyNy8VS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkztP6AB7QE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5jR77hubc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45v3Cm9XA1A

In that last video there, you can see that the guy has a signficant appetite for tools - the ten or so minutes of the video, they pan across his wall. There's an entire rack of bowsaws, a lineup of japanese planes to the right and to the left the taiwan/chinese style planes, what looks like about 50-75 hammers and gobs of chisels and files and rasps (and in another video, there's a huge wall of more chisels).

I couldn't figure out in some of hte videos yesterday what all of the blocks with holes in them are behind his bench. I don't know if they're planes or what.

I do like the chinese rabbet plane he has that has the blade in the middle - like a continental plane, it looks to be comfortable push or pull.

Brian Holcombe
04-18-2014, 9:18 AM
I've seen those pretty commonly featured on Nakashima cabinets and Mogens Koch bookcases. Incredibly this fellow mitered both corners rather than just the forward corner.

David Weaver
04-18-2014, 9:36 AM
making a plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnG3XKt4hMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjugyVP0bbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvlo3XMv-70

David Weaver
04-18-2014, 9:42 AM
Eyeballing the tails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U42C8tf-Xe4
Notice around 9 or 10 minutes in this video, he's cutting the tails to match dovetails that he made pins for. He's only cutting them, not marking them. He lays his pin board just below the tail board and eyeballs the pins to cut the tails.

Michael Kellough
04-18-2014, 7:23 PM
David, did you delete a post on the second page? I was looking at a video from a link there showing his radical technique cutting tails by eye without any layout marks, simply looking at the pins, and when I came back to the thread the post was gone.

David Weaver
04-18-2014, 7:48 PM
I don't think I did. I think the post with the eyeballed dovetails is right above yours.

Something else in it to note for folks watching, the toothline on the saw looks terrible, but look how well it cuts. It's not been jointed in what looks like ever, which is no big deal on a frame saw since the blades can be replaced more easily.

Michael Kellough
04-18-2014, 8:32 PM
I don't think I did. I think the post with the eyeballed dovetails is right above yours.

Something else in it to note for folks watching, the toothline on the saw looks terrible, but look how well it cuts. It's not been jointed in what looks like ever, which is no big deal on a frame saw since the blades can be replaced more easily.

Okay, see them again, must of been a problem with Hybrid thread view.

It would be a shame to lose the work you've done finding interesting stuff in the many hours of video that craftsman has posted.

I don't have any bow saws but it seems unusual to have the blade mounted sideways (perpendicular to the handle) as in the saw used to cut tails by eye. Is that common?

David Weaver
04-18-2014, 9:44 PM
I haven't seen it often, but it looks like all of his saws are set up like that so he can rip the edges off of boards.

Eric Schubert
04-18-2014, 10:46 PM
I enjoyed it more not knowing what was being said lol but I am left with the feeling that I'm being yelled at like I'm listening to German.

I have to agree! It sounded so much like yelling at times that it was comical to my non-Mandarin-speaking brain.

But I have to agree that this guy has serious skills. To be able to swing at a chisel before it's even in place just amazes me. He works quickly, and know exactly what he's doing and where his tools are at all times. Thanks to David for sharing!

Eric Schubert
04-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Eyeballing the tails.
Notice around 9 or 10 minutes in this video, he's cutting the tails to match dovetails that he made pins for. He's only cutting them, not marking them. He lays his pin board just below the tail board and eyeballs the pins to cut the tails.

I'm pretty new to woodworking. I've never seen mitered dovetails before. They'll look awesome when they're finished, assuming they're well-made.

Pat Barry
04-19-2014, 9:14 AM
Eyeballing the tails.

Don't try this at home. LOL. This man must have made a million dovetails. I checked out his website http://www.xuemugong.com/home.php?mod=space&do=album
Does anyone here read enough chinese to figure out the price for that stool in the picture?

ian maybury
04-19-2014, 10:52 AM
The coincidence of this thread with Chris Schwarz's blog where he suggests that many on his courses prefer modern tools to their restored vintage hand planes is perhaps quite synchronistic - it's hard not to comment. :)

There's a hugely refreshing integrity/honesty about the work in those Chinese videos, and the way it's filmed. There's so much as a result that can be learned from it. Minimal production values, very ordinary tools, no sound bites (just getting the info across), no over acting/pseudo characterisation/playing to the gallery (normal delivery), normal time/no stripping out of the supposedly boring bits (that often turn out to matter) by a non woodworking editor, no branding, no marketing. Plus a very beautiful demo of how repetition and ongoing refinement of basic methods leads to amazing but very matter of fact skill levels - that must lead us to the conclusion that there's many ways to get the job done. (i'm reminded of a previous video of a guy turning chess pieces in the street in Morocco (?) using his feet and a bow lathe) His methods and tools are in their own way very highly optimised, but in a hugely low key way. The focus is the doing rather than talking about doing.

Here in the West we have managed to layer so much (woodworking included) with big brother and judgemental overtones - usually to assist the self and commercial interests that drive the presentation of much of what we do that makes it into into public arena. One result i think is that the focus on what works - on honest communication of ways and means to achieve the effective delivery of outcomes (honourable exceptions excluded) has long since been lost in the noise. Marketing, sales and increasingly mag claims that parrot these are especially problematical.

It's so easy to get brainwashed into feeling that we have to have this or that latest machine, tool or piece of equipment to be able to handle basic woodworking tasks - or to be psyched out by the tone of some expert that subtly elevates a skilled but not impossible task into rocket science.. Or to lose belief in ourselves or fall to impatience when the results don't instantly come. Some I think don't even make it as far as the woodworking - it can at times seem like it's more about the bragging rights than the doing. Or we may end up over committing, or in paralysis by analysis, and as a result lose contact with our muse/enthusiasm - behaving as though we have to satisfy the woodworking thought police. When what's really happenening is that we've been eased/eased ourselves into a place where we give our power away/are seeking higher approval. There's plenty ready for their own ends to leverage (and via the mags, advertising etc intensify) these needs to sell us lots of stuff that we actually don't need or doesn't work as claimed, to impose controls on the hobby/profession and so on. A microcosm of our societies really.….

The judgemental (but largely unspoken) tone implicit in the broad reaction to Chris Schwarz's observation that many at his classes are drawn to high end modern planes (and his very cautious presentation of it) is a case in point. The matter of fact reality is surely that it'd be very odd if modern machine tools, materials and manufacturing methods couldn't (at a price) deliver tools offering superior performance when compared to a vintage model tuned by a first time amateur restorer on a restricted budget - with limited experience, average abilities and mostly DIY equipment. Or that 'off the peg' wouldn't prove an attractive alternative to the many (often time poor and cash rich) woodworkers in that situation. Against that (as demonstrated by our Chinese friend above) it's no surprise either that a few highly skilled and motivated individuals using parts from others of the same ilk can get vintage models performing to a similar level. My guess is that there's even quite a few with a foot in both camps.

Perhaps both (and all of the roads in between) are valid paths. Perhaps what's right for us really depends on our situation, and what we're here to do and hence learn. Perhaps the higher truth is that what matters is that we focus on finding whatever suits (what feels good) and on getting on with it - that the only possible error is to get sucked into hoopla, guilt trips or doing what's wrong for us because we feel we 'should'.....….

Bruce Mack
04-19-2014, 2:21 PM
I am one of those who tries to substitute a tool for a missing skill. This man with his old bench and metalworking vise humbles me.

David Weaver
04-19-2014, 2:46 PM
Ian, I hadn't even thought of this in the context of the discussion about old and new tools. The reason I got sucked into watching it all is because Chris Scholz posted a couple of videos elsewhere, and I wanted to see what else the guy was making other than traditional chinese things (maybe everything he makes is traditional chinese, even if some of it looks a little easier for us to tolerate style wise (like the boxes).

But you do make a good point. Chris said on another forum that one of the chisels he's using was 20 cents in china (found used) and the saws he's using look to be plain carbon steel bladed and shop made. And he builds the plane without trouble. I didn't see him taking any thin plane shavings, which contrary to what we're told in terms of premium planes, isn't really required for making furniture (nice to have as final smoothing if not scraping, but even those shavings at a thousandth or so are fine - which is attainable by any plane).

I think we said it in the other thread, most of the problems that the whiz bang tools are trying to solve are a lack of experience, and it would be better for most to get experience than tools. That means making some rough nasty stuff and putting some repetition in before things happen the way you expect, but that experience is more valuable than "better" tools.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-19-2014, 2:57 PM
On the subject of the tools this fellow is using; I've been trying to get a better look at that multiple marking gauge, but it's hard to tell in the video quality on the couple of videos I've had time to look at - but am I the only one to whom it looks like the cutters are ground allen-bits, like what folks use for DIY router planes?

David Weaver
04-19-2014, 3:22 PM
I thought that's what they look like, too, but they could just be rod that's bent that way.

Brian Holcombe
04-19-2014, 4:38 PM
Ian, I hadn't even thought of this in the context of the discussion about old and new tools. The reason I got sucked into watching it all is because Chris Scholz posted a couple of videos elsewhere, and I wanted to see what else the guy was making other than traditional chinese things (maybe everything he makes is traditional chinese, even if some of it looks a little easier for us to tolerate style wise (like the boxes).

But you do make a good point. Chris said on another forum that one of the chisels he's using was 20 cents in china (found used) and the saws he's using look to be plain carbon steel bladed and shop made. And he builds the plane without trouble. I didn't see him taking any thin plane shavings, which contrary to what we're told in terms of premium planes, isn't really required for making furniture (nice to have as final smoothing if not scraping, but even those shavings at a thousandth or so are fine - which is attainable by any plane).

I think we said it in the other thread, most of the problems that the whiz bang tools are trying to solve are a lack of experience, and it would be better for most to get experience than tools. That means making some rough nasty stuff and putting some repetition in before things happen the way you expect, but that experience is more valuable than "better" tools.

This requires constant reminder. I generally enjoy looking at tools and tend to appreciate those with a lot of thought put into them, but have to remind myself on occasion that something that fills a very similar niche to something I already own is going to do very little in the way of helping me accomplish more.

The aestheticist in me is in constant turmoil.

ian maybury
04-19-2014, 8:28 PM
Ta guys, i was a bit nervous that that lot might have caused offence. That series of videos is a great find David, and for me is just a great reminder of the some of the subtler basics that underpin healthy woodworking. That's not to suggest that we all have to go back to working that way. There's as before a place for high end ready made tools, and a place for the more organic approach - or anything in between. Even a beginner can learn a lot from high end stuff - it sure beats ending up discouraged and quitting as a result of never coming to the realisation that there's no substitute for high performing tools. Nothing wrong either with (having figured out why it is that good tools work) setting out to extract similar performance from older stuff. Or being eased into a journey of discovery while learning how to tune tools and machines because what you have is not performing as it could/should.

It's tempting to imagine the good old days and master/apprentice relationships as having been some sort of golden era, but a hard look suggests not - that while methods were drummed into trainees the fact is that (a) they often didn't stick, (b) they probably often ended up doing the right things for the wrong reasons, and (c ) they were often working to impossible demands and with poor quality (and often very dangerous) tools and machines.

We're every lucky to so often be free to work through our stuff. The key I think is what's going on in our minds - it's got to have integrity to be genuine. To feel good and right. It's really important for ourselves and for society that we stay authentic and in touch with ourselves, the craft, the aesthetic and what it all means for our engagement with the others and the world. That we reject the bull that has become so prevalent. The risk is as above that it's so easy to get sucked into doing stuff for all the wrong reasons - and that's good for nobody...

Pinwu Xu
04-19-2014, 8:38 PM
Thanks for finding and posting the link

I ended up starting with the "episode 1": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gaAxWz3CbY

It is in Mandarin, northern China dialect.

Pinwu Xu
04-19-2014, 9:07 PM
It's hard to watch with all that talking... the saw making is very cool! love his marking gauge, brilliant!

In the episode 1 of the stool (folding stool) making, he expressed opinion about the western style marking gauge, thought that the one he was using was good and accurate enough.

The fact that it's got 4 cutters is a really useful one, we use the western styled marking gauge may end up with several on bench and it would give us hard time remember which is which

Pinwu Xu
04-19-2014, 9:14 PM
High end japanese mortise chisels tolerate that kind of work easily. The least expensive chisels I've used that will, though, are miyanaga, and even those (while not being super high end) are not inexpensive.

Ray iles chisels tolerate that kind of stuff well, too. Chinese tool stuff is hard to gather. They look like they're made similar to japanese chisels but with a bigger socket. I would assume that if they are traditional, they're carbon steel, because the guangxi finish hone that's all over the place (blue slate) is not a fast stone, and I know they don't have the same fetish the japanese have with synthetic sharpening stones, because most sythetic chinese sharpening stones are junky - with the possible exception of some of the expensive sintered hones that they make.

At any rate, the guy in the video doesn't baby his tools and they tolerate it well. It's clear that they're not dull when he's using them.

The chisel could be regional.
If you ever get the chance to tour China, find the wholesale market for the locals, you might find handmade chisels (not more delicate, but that's a small market/demand for chisels). The mortise chisel could be very thick so I guess the yank/pry would be OK (just finished the episode I, will check out the II tomorrow). The chisels available at these local market usually are not handled, that you can either by handle at the booth (look rustic to me, maybe just a piece of tree branch, oiled), or make your own. The chisel, with our de-valued dollar, is about $1 a piece

On the other hand, in southeast China, it seems that those booth in the market would carry machine made plane blades (claim to be laminated), western style plane blades

Pinwu Xu
04-19-2014, 9:17 PM
I'd agree warren. There isn't any deep burying of the chisel and then trying to lever out something that takes great force, or hard scraping of a mortise bottom or anything. The levering is subtle, like a wrist flick. It's a good technique.

I have no clue what the wood is, of course none of us probably do, but it doesn't look too hard - looks a lot like mahogany. It's interesting that he works straight through no problem and appears to have a nice through mortise.

Looks like Mahogany, I think in the 1st episode of the traditional wooden folding stool, he mentioned the word Philippine .

Pinwu Xu
04-19-2014, 9:21 PM
It's the four-post mortising gauge that really caught my eye.

All four gauge lines from the same reference face,
no fancy widdling required.

I figure even I could make one of those.

What I can't duplicate is the three dimensional memory this guy
has for the layout of joints he's cutting.

That's spectacular.

Yes, one can make that gauge with drywall screw (use the screw head as the cutter)

As far as the way he made the layout, I can only say that he's done it so many time, maybe he could even do it blindfolded

Michael Kellough
04-20-2014, 10:40 AM
In the episode 1 of the stool (folding stool) making, he expressed opinion about the western style marking gauge, thought that the one he was using was good and accurate enough.

The fact that it's got 4 cutters is a really useful one, we use the western styled marking gauge may end up with several on bench and it would give us hard time remember which is which

287700287700http://www.xuemugong.com/static/image/common/emp.gif

Can't figure out how to post an image so here is the url for a close-up picture of the multi-point marking gauge.

http://www.xuemugong.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=26581&do=album&picid=2326#pic_block

It is made with cut off hex keys. In this version there are threaded inserts with brass set screws to secure the keys but with no way to grip the screws I don't see the point. If the holes the hex key shanks fit through are tight jsut adjust with a hammer.

Tom Vanzant
04-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Set screws with nylon or bronze tip inserts would serve well.

steven c newman
04-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Kind of fun to watch, may have to bookmark this. He seems to have just a tad more room than I have in my shop, though287715Cozy place, even can sit on the tool chest to saw dovetails......

Jim Matthews
04-20-2014, 4:58 PM
Yes, one can make that gauge with drywall screw (use the screw head as the cutter)

As far as the way he made the layout, I can only say that he's done it so many time, maybe he could even do it blindfolded

It does not appear to be his first Rodeo, if you know what I mean...
他知道他的业务

Pinwu Xu
04-20-2014, 8:36 PM
I couldn't get past the mortising. Notice how he rapidly walks the chisel so it is between the lines.

And he complained about his poor eyesight, had to use pencil to mark the gauge mark. Keep this in mind and now watch how fast he moves the chisel...

Jussi Auvinen
04-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Heres the same guy giving a lesson in mortising :) (with english subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZsPs7jaPE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZsPs7jaPE)And heres the direct link for all his uploaded videos (all have subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/user/zhangzefeng/videos

David Dalzell
04-22-2014, 5:41 AM
I can't be sure, because of the jerky camera, but in the last video it seems to me that he set only every other tooth. Is it just me or is this so? If so, then what purpose do the unset teeth serve?

Kees Heiden
04-22-2014, 5:51 AM
I thought I saw that too. That would make a raker tooth, as used in greenwood crosscut saws.

Pinwu Xu
04-22-2014, 9:48 PM
Watching the episode 4 of the folding stool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyvB2-1Fdrw

At about 28 minutes, while waiting for the glue, he talked about how fast a saw is and how thin/long/wide the wood shaving could be, and emphasized that he used the plane for work, so the quicker the better; not in the "hobby" (sorry, no appropriate word right away), that you can spend hours to plane of some 1/4" inch of wood edge...

He did mention the availability of the metal plane that would cost RMB 3000-5000 (but the episode ended), will search for episode 5 if it exists

steven c newman
04-25-2014, 5:45 PM
Any idea what wood he uses for the plane build? I might just try that build later, after a box gets completed. Which direction was the grain going?

David Weaver
04-25-2014, 7:37 PM
No clue, but they have a full menu of woods in china that we don't generally see here.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-25-2014, 9:36 PM
Just browsing through more of these -

Making a plough/grooving plane - like a metal skated version of the open-sided planes David shared recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzth9FMmsd8

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-zyn7TzdZI

Clark Magnuson
04-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks for posting that. It felt like I knew what he was saying.

Mark Almeidus
05-25-2014, 5:22 PM
Thanks for the links David.

steven c newman
05-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Yep, I used a few of the shows to build this plane290093and then just about done with this one290094 Next? Maybe adopt the plans for a smoother size?

steven c newman
09-25-2019, 7:36 PM
Just a gentle BUMP for those interested in this sort of approach...
Used a few of his ideas, for making a frame saw....