PDA

View Full Version : Job Bid

Gary Shoemake
06-24-2005, 8:35 AM
HI Folks.

I need a little help. I just recieved a request for a quote on a job that could lead to more jobs in the future. It is lasering some text and serial numbers. When you submit your bid do you also include any terms along with it? I'm thinking of adding that I would require 1/2 up front with the rest due on completion of the job. I've never dealt with this company and they are out of state, so there isn't a track record. It seems to be legit, I got faxes with the specs, I just don't know how to word the response.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Gary

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 11:25 AM
It is lasering some text and serial numbers. When you submit your bid do you also include any terms along with it? I'm thinking of adding that I would require 1/2 up front with the rest due on completion of the job.I don't do engraving for a living, but I've seen enough similar exercises in other fields to have an opinion. :p

Not knowing the details, I can see three possibilities:
1. They're asking you to manuafacture nameplates from scratch: get enough money up front to cover all materials and your time to set up and do prototypes.
2. They're sending you nameplates to engrave: get enough money up front to cover your time to set up and do prototypes, but somewhat less than in case 1, since there won't be as much back-and-forth approving designs etc.
3. They're sending you actual finished parts to engrave: let them pay on delivery, maybe a nominal setup fee up front.

It all comes down to (1) how much expense you have up-front and (2) how much leverage you have at the end if they stall on the payment.

Chuck Burke
06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Gary,
This is business. In my other life as an upholsterer, I NEVER took a job without a 50% deposit and balance upon completion, or if the job is HUGE, progress payments along the way. Just explain to them that it is your company policy to require a deposit on all orders over $xxx.00 amount. I shouldn't be a problem
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out

Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards

Gary Shoemake
06-24-2005, 3:31 PM
THank you for your input. They both were along the same lines that I waas considering. I sent my reply with 1/2 money up front with the rest to be forwarded upon completion. We"ll see what happens.

Gary