PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to use hot hide glue with a squeeze bottle?

Max Neu
04-17-2014, 6:59 AM
I am making alot of applied molding cabinet doors for a job I am working on.I am using an underpinner to make the rabbeted frame that drops down inside the door itself.I found that 315gram hide glue works good for this application because I can just glue the frame,and hold it onto the door for a few seconds until it grabs.The only thing that would make this operation go better would be to use some sort of a squeeze bottle,instead of a brush.I realize I would have to keep the end of the squeeze bottle warm between operations to prevent clogging.Just wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to this?

Stephen Musial
04-17-2014, 7:11 AM
Never know until you try. Keep it in a pot of water and keep a warm wet washcloth over the top when you're not using it.

Jim Finn
04-17-2014, 9:21 AM
Never know until you try. Keep it in a pot of water and keep a warm wet washcloth over the top when you're not using it. Yes, Hot water should help. I put my rattle cans of finish or paint into a can of hot water before using. Makes for a nice finish.

Robert LaPlaca
04-17-2014, 9:24 AM
I use hide glue for the furniture I build. I am sure you know this, but 315 gram will have the shortest of open times and will gel very quickly, It's advantage is very short open time and a super strong bond. I generally use 192 gram and add some anti gelling agent, either salt or urea to slow down the gelling of the glue.

Having said all the above, I am not too sure how successful you will be keeping the 315 gram glue fluid in a squeeze bottle with out constantly keeping it warm, maybe some heat lamps (halogen work lights work) can be used while the glue bottle is not in the water bath will keep the glue from gelling in the bottle for you..

Tony Joyce
04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Check out this blog post from Don Williams.
http://donsbarn.com/my-favorite-set-up-for-using-hot-hide-glue/

Tony